Author Topic: Thoughts after finishing Elantris *Spoilers*  (Read 7072 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts after finishing Elantris *Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2009, 11:43:02 PM »
Is it just a coincidence that you say you're posted a lot in the 'crazy theorizing department' before, and your title is what it is (don't remember exactly).
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2009, 11:46:41 PM »
Sarah makes a very good point. I was one of those that "went crazy" so I know....Although, most of that craziness was on the titles thread, and a good majority of it was on topic, so I don't think it can really be considered spamming....But I do think 70 posts in one day is extreme (that was how many I hit....I had no life that Thursday afternoon-evening, apparently).

Anyway. She's right. Rank doesn't mean anything, although it is pretty cool to see that number go up and the title change, for better or for worse (generally for worse).

And yes, Shaggy, that's just coincidence. He leveled after he came back....But it is quite funny. Theoretically....

And I'm off-topic. To go on-topic, I have no thoughts on Elantris. Because I haven't finished it. I need to find my copy of it to do that (I let my dad read it after I bought it since I couldn't afford to get distracted from school, hence why I have yet to read it...).
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2009, 04:16:33 AM »
It is, isn't it?

I found the whole mystery surrounding the Dakhor monastery pretty awesome (until the end, obviously). There are certain things that when I read them, I'm just struck with this feeling of how supernaturally awesome it is…I don't know how to explain it I'm not doing it justice AT ALL…help??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2009, 04:52:22 AM »
Yeah, I actually wasn't a matter of theoretical magic yet when I posted that.

As for Elantris, I just re-read it (kind of - more of a skim read, really) and was thinking that Dakhor is pretty awesome, but Elantrians are just awesome-er. So there.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2009, 10:24:35 PM »
But to me, the thing that, in my mind, makes the Dakhor monks cooler than the Elantrians is that the Elantrians use magic. To me, at least, magic is a mere concept. I don't want to get into a theology argument here, but technically, magic doesn't exist in our world (because if you think about it, magic defies almost all the basic scientific laws of our world). So they have something that's intangible to me. But what makes the Dakhor guys so Dakhor-ish (?) is that  they have all the characteristics/qualities that we have (strength, speed, bone strength), only more powerful/better/stronger. So they're more superhuman to me than the Elantrians, who I consider rather inhuman.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Amalia

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 09:22:49 AM »
Yeah, but superhuman in a way I really wouldn`t want to be. Bones all broken and rearranged, body quite deformed and extremely insensitive - I wonder if they can actually feel a touch that`s softer than whacking a sword across their back? Plus that total obedience to their superiors, which was what made Hrathen leave. The way the Dakhor monks have been portrayed - with the exception of Dilaf - reminds me more of machines than of humans. I don`t have Elantris here to check, but don`t remember any of them ever saying as much as one word.
www.portalstones.com The Wheel of Time turns and ages come and go, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth and even myth is long forgotten when the age that gave it birth comes again...

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
Yeah, but superhuman in a way I really wouldn`t want to be. Bones all broken and rearranged, body quite deformed and extremely insensitive - I wonder if they can actually feel a touch that`s softer than whacking a sword across their back?
No one even noticed until Dilaf took his shirt off or whatever, so you could hide that.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2009, 05:19:51 AM »
I'm thinking that the reason Dilaf spent all the time trying to undermime Hrathen's authority was because he wanted the challenge of turning the people against Elantris. We've already decided that he was mostly sane, at least in how he percieved the world.

About the whole Elantrian fighting Dilaf thing, the only thing AonDor would be good for would be getting away from him because, as Raoden found out in Teod, he's immune to AonDor attacks.

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 03:31:19 PM »
About the whole Elantrian fighting Dilaf thing, the only thing AonDor would be good for would be getting away from him because, as Raoden found out in Teod, he's immune to AonDor attacks.
And, because of the Dakhor's increased bone strength, normal weapons would be nearly useless also, which is why everyone thinks they are so awesome.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 10:49:42 PM »
Well AonDor wouldn't be TOTALLY useless…couldn't you like pick up a boulder and drop it on him or something? A building, maybe?

Wait a second–when did we decide Dilaf was sane??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2009, 11:05:17 PM »
Well AonDor wouldn't be TOTALLY useless…couldn't you like pick up a boulder and drop it on him or something? A building, maybe?

Wait a second–when did we decide Dilaf was sane??

Interesting point.  I was going to say it was kind of like Matt's medallion in WoT, but I remembered that Dilaf also managed to disrupt Raoden's illusion at will, so clearly his ability is somewhat more targeted than Matt's.  If you caught him off guard somehow, though, I suspect that AonDor could indeed indirectly kill him.  Probably the only thing that could.

For the record, I'm pretty certain that Dilaf wasn't sane, not completely.  He was, however, rational, given his view of the world.  Those aren't quite the same thing.
Nature hates being reified.

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 11:18:59 PM »
I said mostly sane, and mostly is anything more than half.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 11:25:49 PM »
If someone is, say, 30 percent insane, I'd still stick clear of them.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »
Really, though, Dilaf was only insane when Elantris was in the picture (whether that be an Elantrian or the city itself).

As for the OP. I think Dilaf was making sure that Hrathen stuck with what Dilaf wanted Hrathen to be. That sounds somewhat confusing though. Since it's in Hrathen's POV, we don't know why exactly Dilaf did the things he did, but I'm guessing it was to manipulate Hrathen into being a good decoy/distraction, which is what Dilaf says Hrathen was:

Quote from: [i
Elantris[/i], pg 568 (US Paperback)]
"You were a distraction, something for people like Eventeo to focus their attention on while I prepared for the city's invasion. You did your job perfectly."

I don't think Dilaf was insane here. I think he knew exactly what the plan was and he explained to Hrathen, even if he didn't explain his actions. I'm thinking a fair bit of those actions were manipulations, though. Dilaf knew Hrathen from when Hrathen was younger, and he had manipulated him then in getting the boy to leave Dakhor. It wouldn't surprise me if Dilaf's main strategy was still manipulation.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2009, 11:55:42 PM »
I loved the Elantris book. I wish there was more to the story.  Maybe in the future Brandon will come back to this world and expand upon it. 

I think an Elantarian that could think fast would be more then a match for a Dakhor monk.  As long as they are close enough to Elantris to not lose there power.  I mean if they can turn garbage into corn can't they turn there environment into something more sinister.  Like making a pool of acid or lava under the monk.  I think the major drawback is the time it will take them to draw something in the air. Also if you learn the symbols you can read what attack is coming because there is no way to really hide it.