Author Topic: 12-15-08: Ace Tomato Company  (Read 4028 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: 12-15-08: Ace Tomato Company
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2008, 10:04:58 PM »
If you think that you can revise the chapter significantly enough that it will be worth your while to have it critiqued again (whatever that means for you) then there's no reason you can't resubmit. On the other hand, I'd caution against doing too much revising while you're still writing. Obviously my personal experience is not exactly relevant for everyone, but I know that I've killed a lot of first drafts that way...

Of course, that's just my thoughts. If you think it's worth your while to resubmit, then go for it. (Though I still think that if we get a lot of peope resubmitting chapter one every time that we should stir up the pot a bit. ~^)

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2008, 10:23:37 PM »
Acknowledging that this forum is for the expressed purpose of getting feedback, be sure that you are not just taking everyones' suggestions and overriding your own decision making process. We only suggest. Be careful that this does not turn into an exercise in writing by committee.

That being said, I would suggest getting on with chapter 2, etc. and then resubmit later on after you've gotten more of the work built as a whole.

My 1.23 cents worth (devalued even with bailout).
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2008, 04:49:13 AM »
Well, the general rule of thumb for resubmitting is that you only do it once. If we see the same thing over and over and over again we WILL make fun of you. Letting us look at your changes before you move on every once in a while is probably fine though.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2008, 06:46:41 AM »
I was thinking the same thing, allow everybody one resubmit per story at least until they've got the thing finished. One of the things I've learned is that it's amazing how much it helps to push on in spite of needing to rewrite.

M

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2008, 07:11:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thougths.  I'll take them all into consideration.  I think with the whole summary paragraph before the new submission, I'll be able to explain any nessary changse I have made and continue on with the story.  So I'll probably submit chapter two.  Thanks everyone!

Oh, and I won't be re-writing my entire project based on one session of feedback.  I'm already 200+ pages into it, so I don't plan on starting over.  The ideas given to me helped me to fix the beginning and then a few pages here and there along the way.  Thanks again everyone!

That really made me laugh....too funny Karl

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2008, 07:17:27 PM »
  That really made me laugh....too funny Karl

Glad to know at least my humor, if not my stock portfolio, has some value! 
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
Apologies for lateness!

I liked it.By referring to the characters as just their numbers and giving very little detail about them other than that was interesting. Left me with a sense of being able to put my own face to these characters.

Though, you get to know a lot about what's going through his mind... even though you don't know what his mission actually is. The only thing that worries me is that how many people are meant to be in these 'companies' is... confusing. And also, why send off two people who are completely inexperienced in intel gathering off with one person who is... that is, if there is only 3 of them altogether. It just seems a little confusing.

The title... I loved. It meant you had no clue what you were getting into when you start to read the first page.

Do think that maybe giving us a hint about what the mission is/where it is they're going could be some useful information to maybe just put in briefly. I mean, it says about his mother flying... but it could be somewhere in the same country as she lives.

Anyway, hope that helps a little :)
"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!