Author Topic: What are your strengths and weaknesses as a Writer?  (Read 8175 times)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: What are your strengths and weaknesses as a Writer?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 06:56:28 PM »
HayleyRH everyone is giving great advise, but also remember--and it is something I have to tell myself constantly--this is only your first draft.  It won't and doesn't have to be great and good, these are just your ideas first coming out of your head into the light of day.  Presiver and push past your initial... revulsion, and you will find that it gets better on is own.  Your own story will draw you in.  You have an idea for a story where most people would never even think to actually write it down, so you already have something special.  Be brave, tough it out, and you will see something extraordinary.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2008, 07:00:05 PM »
HayleyRH everyone is giving great advise, but also remember--and it is something I have to tell myself constantly--this is only your first draft.  It won't and doesn't have to be great and good, these are just your ideas first coming out of your head into the light of day.  Presiver and push past your initial... revulsion, and you will find that it gets better on is own.  Your own story will draw you in.  You have an idea for a story where most people would never even think to actually write it down, so you already have something special.  Be brave, tough it out, and you will see something extraordinary.

Oh, certainly. About two thrids of my really good plot outlines make it to the final draft for me. If I want to change something, I go ahead and change it from the time the idea pops into my head. I don't go back and change things until I've finished my first draft.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2008, 08:47:50 PM »
Yeah, don't worry if you don't like your first scene. I have heard of several writers who write the first scene, finish the book, and then have to completely rewrite that first scene. Or you might add a prologue.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 09:14:23 PM »
Definitely. I probably go through at least 3-5 drafts on any given story.

Come to think of it, didn't Sanderson post about six different drafts or something of Warbreaker?

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 08:30:56 AM »
Sanderson also mentioned that it was his tenth draft of Elantris that went to print. And also that he often scratches the first three chapters.

My strength is probably plotting and ideas. I can oversee complex structures and have them make sense. That and my mind is constantly spilling out ideas and random associations.

My weakness sort of derives from that, I am also pretty chaotic and will set of on some brainwave and forget whatever it was I was working on, or who I was talking to. Beside that I have trouble doing internal dialogue. I either avoid it or end up on some rant about all the different doubts the character has at that point.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2008, 04:29:00 PM »
Strengths: Plot, dialogue, pacing, story

Weaknesses: Tension, writing with emotion

It really helps to be in a writing group with folks whose writing strengths are your weaknesses. It's helped me anyway.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2008, 05:48:23 PM »
Yeah, there is a difference between writting about emotions, which is simple but not very useful, and writing with emotions. And trying to write it in such a way that it evokes pathos in the reader is terribly elusive. I think I've only managed it once or twice in all of my works.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2008, 04:24:12 AM »
The secret to writing with emotions is to be a complete jerk. To really capture emotion in a story is to master the art of conflict. Think of the  worst things you can do to the character and then make them suffer enjoy it, you are their god! Once you have done that, show what they do, don't spend time saying "Johnny was very sad" show the character's actions. In fact don't use the words for emotions in your writing.  "Johnny slammed his fist into the wall until it bled..." is much better.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2008, 04:32:25 AM »
Sometimes that works well, but I think often writers carry it to far, never getting right to the meat of what the character is thinking and feeling. Part of that is probably because in movies, all you know about is what you see the character doing. In a movie, someone slamming their fist into a wall is a much better way to show anger or grief than having a "sad look."
     BUT as a writer, you can do that. Your characters can be tormented by waves of grief and red rage without any outward physical sign. Actions are a very poignant way to express emotion...but don't be afraid to get into the character's head.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!