Author Topic: Push - the Movie  (Read 3651 times)

mailpip

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Push - the Movie
« on: January 07, 2009, 06:05:38 PM »
Has anyone seen anything about this movie "Push."  I just came across the information on io9.com and it seemed like a mild "appropriation" of some of Mr. Sanderson's brilliant ideas.

I am not sure how to enter a link, but here is my attempt, sorry if it is poorly formatted:

http://io9.com/5124178/learn-the-difference-between-a-pusher-a-mover-and-a-sniffer

Just curious if anybody else thought the same?

BTW - If you happen to read this, I absolutely love your work Mr. Sanderson.  The Mistborn trilogy had me from the first chapter and I love the fact that you wrapped up all of the loose ends.  Thank you so much for worrying about story before $$$.

Thanks for all of your hard work
Mike

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Re: Push - the Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 06:09:20 PM »
I haven't seen the movie yet, but to me it seems more a copy of the TV show 'Heroes' than anything relating to 'Mistborn'.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 08:01:16 PM »
Yeah I don't see much of a connection, either.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2009, 04:58:23 AM »
I haven't seen the movie yet, but to me it seems more a copy of the TV show 'Heroes' than anything relating to 'Mistborn'.

And Heroes is a cheep copy of the X-men lol! So I guess it's all fair. :D
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:42:15 AM »
Haha true.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

smashingsilver

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 04:42:42 PM »
Based on my quick readthrough of the movie website, the only real connection I see is the "Shadow" character who can block the psychic vision of others, kinda like how Smokers create a Coppercloud.  Of course, that's not an original idea anyways.  I'd never heard of Push before but I'm sure it'll be a good way to waste $15 - I always like to support sci-fi or fantasy movies, even if they suck.  It makes me hope that eventually a few decent movies in that genre will be made.

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 07:05:40 PM »

Actually, I always thought Heroes was a DIRECT ripoff of "The 4400", which in turn, borrowed many ideas from Taken and, yup, the X-Men (which is also a rip off of Superman and other early comics)

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 07:09:57 PM »

Actually, I always thought Heroes was a DIRECT ripoff of "The 4400", which in turn, borrowed many ideas from Taken and, yup, the X-Men (which is also a rip off of Superman and other early comics)

The first uses of the random genetic mutation concept giving superpowers with a large cast of characters, that I know of, was X-men.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 11:08:49 PM »
I saw the trailer for this last night. Looks like it might be the good movie that Jumper wasn't.

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 12:06:43 AM »
I'm normally pretty hesitant to spend money on movies like this because Hollywood generally gets them wrong.  Most of the time these movies are all special effects and no story line, which makes for a boring movie for me. I guess that's why I wouldn't be too excited about a Mistborn movie.  I think that they'd turn it into too much of a fight movie and not enough time developing the characters or the storyline.  Don't get me wrong, I hope they make it into a movie, but I just think they'll get it wrong.

Personally, the two movies I'm waiting for are X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Toby McGuires take on Robotech.
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 10:31:57 PM »
I'm normally pretty hesitant to spend money on movies like this because Hollywood generally gets them wrong.  Most of the time these movies are all special effects and no story line, which makes for a boring movie for me. I guess that's why I wouldn't be too excited about a Mistborn movie.  I think that they'd turn it into too much of a fight movie and not enough time developing the characters or the storyline.  Don't get me wrong, I hope they make it into a movie, but I just think they'll get it wrong.

Personally, the two movies I'm waiting for are X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Toby McGuires take on Robotech.

Toby Maguire is doing a Robotech movie??

I don't know whether to laugh or cry....

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:13:31 PM »
I just saw the trailer to the movie last night, and it looks good. I'm definitely interested in seeing it. And the fact that it has Dakota Fanning in it bodes well for the acting at least, even if the story line isn't quite up to par (ala Jumper....although, with that one the acting sucked, too).

And a funny little sidenote, since I noticed some people mentioned The 4400. One of the main guys from that show--Joel Gretsch who played Tom Baldwin--is in Push....I laughed when I saw his name in the cast.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2009, 06:47:22 PM »
My brother saw an advanced screening the other night and he thought it was a pretty awesome movie. I might have to check this out. Now whether or not I'm going to dish out the insane money to see it is another matter.  ;D