Author Topic: Union V Confederacy  (Read 5729 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Union V Confederacy
« on: December 10, 2008, 02:16:38 AM »
So this is from the point of view of someone who grew up in the north east and doesnt quite understand some things. Ok so all of you who are not from the south, yet have visited there have seen this or experienced it to some degree. What I am talking about is southerners who for some reason, god knows why still represent the confederacy.

Ok so for a conflict that took place almost 150 years ago this is a little ridiculous. Now mind you I don't really care too much but I just want to know if anyone can tell me why. Why when I go anywhere south of Delaware am I known as a "Yankee"? Why do southern people still fly the confederate flag? I mean other than the obvious racist people because some of those who fly the flag are not racist.

I mean I spent a couple of months living at an army base in South Carolina and once I left the post I saw more confederate flags than American flags. And if you think I'm kidding I'm not. Its almost like they are more proud of that flag than our country's flag. Now I am not trying to say they are not patriotic I again am just lost. I mean every time I meet someone with a southern accent I don't start calling them confederates.

Please, if anyone can clarify this for me please try. Maybe I'm missing something obvious here but I don't think so.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Re: Union V Confederacy
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 03:00:57 AM »
That and they call the civil war the "WAR of Northern Aggression"...

I too am a North Easterner who doesn't really understand that frame of mind either...

There is a really strong feeling of family and pride with a LOT of people in the South.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 04:09:48 AM »
I mean I get the whole family and pride thing. I too have a big and close family and we have a lot of pride but come on now. The War of Norhtern Agresion? Really, lets not dilude ourselves here.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 04:23:23 AM »
Born in New York, and never understood the whole thing either.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 06:38:23 AM »
Well, as a southerner--I can't speak for all of us--it's more about heritage than anything.  While some are still fighting that war most have left it behind.

The Confederate flag doesn't really stand for slavery or oppression, but more for shared history.  Much the same way some Texan's I've met feel about their lone star flag.  Most of this is due in part because it's been handed down from family for generations.  This goes back to when people used to think of themselves as say, Georgian's, before American's.  If you go into say, Atlanta, its really not as prevalent as it is in the more rural areas.  Statistically more people live in the city who were not even born in the state than those who were.

On the subject of Yankee: when I went with my wife to Up-State New York, I was called Rebel several times.  And while we were in an admitidly rural area, there were--I'll just say a lot--of people there who also seemed to still be fighting the war over again.  More through ignorance than any malice I think.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 06:40:12 AM by Necrobells will be ringing »
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 01:24:13 PM »
I guess I can understand that to some degree. I mean most people from the Massachusetts (where I'm from) don't really have that much state pride. It boils down to area pride. I find more people having pride in the city they are from than the state. I guess that would explain why I don't understand the whole confederate flag thing. You could say that we view the American flag in much the same way. Seeing how we have had it passed down from generation to generation.

You really were called a rebel? I don't think I have ever heard someone call a Southerner a rebel in my life. And I'm not saying I don't believe you I'm just saying I'm surprised.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:47:58 PM »
When Yankees think of the South, a great deal of them immediately think of the Ku Klux Klan. I'm glad that it appears people in this thread are not of that mindset.

There is a lot of culture and heritage that the South represents. More presidents, for example, were citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia than any other state in the Union. The South contributed the separation of church and state, the model for the Bill of Rights, and the first secular universities (in the world, I believe, but certainly in the western hemisphere). And really, that's just Virginia.

As a side note, a lot of westerners and Yankees like to say that Virginia is not part of the South because of its geographic position in the mid-Atlantic seaboard. But culturally, if anything, it's the South magnified. The capital of the Confederacy was here, and there's a loyalty to Virginia that oft-times exceeds loyalty to nation. Robert E. Lee, for example, knew that in principle, the North was right. But Virginia was in the CSA, and by God, he was a Virginian. So he led Confederate armies. There's a deep, deep pride from being in Virginia that goes way back to the Colonial era. If I moved to northern Virginia today, I would not see the attachment to the Commonwealth that I feel because I grew up here for decades now. Fairfax County in particular has changed a LOT -- diverging far from Virginia proper. But since my roots predate much of that change, I still feel myself attached to the rest of it.

We've had our problems, clearly. Slavery and the resulting stain of racism probably foremost among them -- though there are complex historical factors, Reconstruction imposed by the North among them, that did a lot to encourage that.

But there is much in art and literature and lifestyle that comes from the South. The blues, a number of great writers, a relaxed state of mind, courtesy, spirituality, cuisine, family -- these are all aspect of Southern culture that those who grew up here are proud of and wouldn't trade away. The stars and bars remind a lot of us of that shared heritage.

I personally see the flag of the Confederacy in this way. It represents 260 years of culture before the Civil War even started. However, I do not fly it, because there are those who still see it as racist, and I don't want to give that impression.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:10:46 PM »
I get it. I mean at least some of it. I understand the wish to display the flag due to a rich history. I am aware that many of the southern state flags are actually adaptations of old confederate war flags and that is fine with me. I just don't understand the use of the flag on the scale that it currently is in use. I mean in reality cant you take pride in the nation in general? Its almost like we share a nation but a different history. Because the nation as a whole was split at one time it will now always be split in some manner of another. The north and south share a rich history dating back to colonial times. I live in a town that was the birth place of two presidents also the Adams family and the Hancock family both resided here and was founded in 1640. I may have been saying too much when I stated that not many people have love for this Commonwealth (Massachusetts). A lot of us don't like the state as it is now but love the culture and history that goes with it. I mean heck I was a member of a National Guard unit who's history can be traced back to the very first organized military unit in this country out of Salem Ma.

I guess the main difference is that the evidence of the civil war is much move evident when you visit the south (for the record Virginia is a southern state). For the most part we don't reference the war, we don't fly old Union flags often. I mean this is the first time I have heard the term rebel from a northerner to a southerner.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:22:22 PM by AbominableMonsta »

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »
You can take pride in your nation and also take pride in your history--especially if that history is as rich as the South's has been...or any of the east coast. There are times when I wish I was from the east coast just so I could get to live in an area so full of American history....And then there are many more times when I'm proud to be a Westerner. Proud to be living in Idaho. Proud to be a native of Washington. That's a pride I'll take with me where ever I go, because it's such a big part of me.

I think it's the same for Southerners. Like SE said, it's part of their history. They feel a pride for it. It's part of them....But that doesn't mean they don't also take pride in being American.

I know that it doesn't matter how much pride I have in my city/state/whatever, none of it even comes close to the pride I have in my country. But that's a pride I don't get to portray as much because for the most part, I'm always around Americans. So it's the other pride that shows forth (although not NEARLY on the same level as Texas...I don't think it's possible to beat a Texan in state pride). It's the pride of your own personal regional roots that shows the most.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 06:20:01 PM »
Alright I can agree with that. Pride in where ones from can be a strong thing. I my self have a good amount. That is to say I respect the history and the area. Now this doesn't explain the reason for referencing the civil war. I mean I understand the flag and every thing to a degree. Maybe not as much as it is used today but I do understand some of it. What about those who use terms like "Yankee" or refer to the civil war as the war of "Northern Aggression"? I mean come on now lets move on. Just because my father was one way doesn't mean I have to be. Most people alive today didn't even have a chance to meet someone who was alive at the time. Some times I just think that its stubbornness that drives some of this.

This is not to say that I take offense to the term "Yankee" because I don't really. It's more annoying than anything.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
There are close-minded people everywhere, and people who can't see the present or the future, but who only look on the past. There are still racists today. The Ku Klux Klan is still in existence. And there are people who hate the North because of the Civil War. I don't know why they're like this, but I think it must be because they apparently can't see the development of the world today. It doesn't matter that they weren't alive at that time or even if they haven't met anyone from that time. It's matter of pride, how much history they've studied, and perceived wrongs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 07:01:41 PM by little_wilson »
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 06:59:35 PM »
I agree with little_wilson's comment about perceived wrongs.  The Confederacy lost the war, and I believe that many in the South felt they had been badly treated, during both the war and the post-war period.  When a group of people is oppressed (or believes it's oppressed) by another group, the hostility and resentment can perpetuate itself over many generations, long after the original oppression occurred.  Many Native Americans still resent the U.S.'s mistreatment of their ancestors; many African Americans still resent slavery; many Irish people resent England; many Muslims still resent the Crusades.  Descendants of the oppressors find it easy to say everyone should just let go of the issue and move on, but for whatever reason, it's not always quite that simple for the victims' descendants.
He ate my horse.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 12:00:22 AM »
Two comments:

SE:  A significant portion of the doctrine for Separation of Church and State was developed in New England, too, where some puritans thought that the government should stay out of their religion.

Monsta:  The war is way more evident in the South in part because, for the most part, the war was fought in South and not in the North.

For what it's worth, I've recently realized that I have a done of Western pride.  I'm totally a Westerner in language, mindset, and attitude, and I take a lot of pride in the West, even if I don't like Cowboy films.  I'm not particularly attatched to the two States I claim to be from, but I am attatched to the West.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 12:49:50 AM »
What about those who use terms like "Yankee" or refer to the civil war as the war of "Northern Aggression"? I mean come on now lets move on. Just because my father was one way doesn't mean I have to be. Most people alive today didn't even have a chance to meet someone who was alive at the time. Some times I just think that its stubbornness that drives some of this.

This is not to say that I take offense to the term "Yankee" because I don't really. It's more annoying than anything.

Well history is often written by the winner.  And as such there are people out there who in doing their genealogies and historical research for family history have found, in their opinion, gaps.  I don't really care who's right or wrong, but what I've learned is that many attribute, Northern Aggression, to representation or lack there of.  This is still a cause of disquiet among some in the south.  It's that they feel that they are not being fairly represented in the Union.  A state(s) with a larger population have a louder voice, and some still think this is unfair.  The process is over two hundred years old, but some people can hold a grudge for a long time.

As to the term "Yankee", I've heard and used it--not meaning anything by it--most of my life.  It was something I grew up with and was just around in general.  Those I think who mean it in a derogatory manner are just looking for some way to offend.  Only a small percentage of people are really bigoted enough to really mean it.  And yes I have met them.  Heck, some are in my family, I don't talk to them much but what can you do?  You can choose your friends but not your family.  If you've seen Larry The Cable Guy, that's a pretty good portrait of the ones I'm referring to.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
I personally have never taken the term "Yankee" in a derogatory manner. I mean even if someone meant it to be derogatory in the end they were saying I was from the north and me being proud of that never took offense. I guess its not that serious in the end. I was mainly talking about the widespread use of the term in general and that's just part of the vocabulary in some places. I mean I am still going to be annoyed with the generalization, but I guess I'll be annoyed with it as much as people using words like "yonder" and "Y'all" so I think I can deal with it. I guess I always understood the issues between the sounth and north I just didn't look at the whole picture.