Author Topic: Dragonsteel **SPOILERS**  (Read 18628 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonsteel **SPOILERS**
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2009, 02:28:31 AM »
Does anyone happen to have a digital copy of Dragonsteel they could e-mail me?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2009, 03:13:37 AM »
Does anyone happen to have a digital copy of Dragonsteel they could e-mail me?
ooh...just in case this is responded to via PM, I would also be very interested in such a thing.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

achren99

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2009, 03:51:01 PM »
I think earlier in the thread they were saying something about not releasing it electronically because it would give spoilers to future works.  I'm not 100% if that's for sure, though.  Ookla would know more.

Vatdoro--Thanks for not thinking I'm completely insane for my ideas on romance in the book.  Yes, I saw the two main characters becoming more like brother/sister or close friends.  It could become a love square before evening out, though, of course. 

Yeah, all of those parts were amazing.   I loved the war scenes.  If "Way of Kings" does use some of the ideas used in Dragonsteel, that would be awesome.  I'm sure the series will be cool anyways, though.

I think my problem with being excited for "Way of Kings" is that the title sounds very mainstream, and I think Brandon's books (while still having mainstream elements), are cool because they branch out.  I'm sure they'll be just as good as his other books, though, so I shouldn't let the name deter me.

I LOVED Mistborn, but I think my problem with the Mistborn world/story was that there was never really a sense of normalcy/downtime.  In a world as ... destructive ... as the one they're living in, I guess that's what you get.  So I felt like I could relate to the Dragonsteel world a little more.  I also like scenes were characters are at school and learning.  That sounds boring of me, but I really like the character growth and having a little break from doom.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2009, 07:02:57 PM »
Brandon does not want Dragonsteel being e-mailed around.

I'm not saying Way of Kings will include most of Dragonsteel's plot. It won't. Just the Eternal War and the Shattered Plains, except they'll be fighting over something different (obviously not the dragonsteel) and the Sho'Del won't be there. The Sho'Del conflict and dragonsteel itself are still reserved for the Dragonsteel world.

As for why the Shattered Plains will end up in Way of Kings (note: this is still subject to change since Brandon has not started writing it), you have Inkthinker to blame.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
I guess I'll have to try and get an inter-library loan. Grr. ..  What is the name of the library that has it?

Ha ha.  Was his art that inspirational?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2009, 09:50:24 PM »
Inkthinker actually read Brandon's mind without knowing it and drew the Way of Kings characters on the Shattered Plains from Dragonsteel (without having ever read it).

It's the Harold B. Lee Library at Brigham Young University.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2009, 10:26:19 PM »
I think my problem with being excited for "Way of Kings" is that the title sounds very mainstream, and I think Brandon's books (while still having mainstream elements), are cool because they branch out.  I'm sure they'll be just as good as his other books, though, so I shouldn't let the name deter me.

Way of Kings is, most likely, going to be the name of the series. The first book will have a different title.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2009, 07:55:21 AM »
Last time I saw Brandon he said he keeps going back and forth on that. It could be both.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2009, 07:20:11 PM »
OK.  So I go to my library today to get an inter-library loan so that I can read Dragonsteel.

I go to the librarian and say, "I want to check out a book called Dragonsteel.  It's one word and steel is spelled with two e's instead of e-a.  It's by Brandon Sanderson. The only copy is at "Harold B. Lee Library at BYU Provo."

She commences to search IDAHO libraries only and says, "Well I'm not finding anything, let me try it with two words."

I begin to get slightly flustered and say, "You only searched in Idaho.  The only copy is in Utah.  You have to widen the search, and it's only ONE word."

She then pulls up the list of books called Dragon Steel in Idaho libraries and asks me if any of these are it.

I politely say, "No, none of those are by Brandon Sanderson, and you're still only searching in Idaho."

She then huffs at me and switches her search to include all of the area that would include Utah AND Idaho.  She then searches for Dragon Steel again.

She pulls up a huge list and starts going through them and asks me to point it out if she gets to it.

I say, "It's only one word.  It won't show up that way."

She retorts, "Last time I searched that I got no results."

I replied flatly, "That was when you searched only Idaho."

She glared at me and removed the space.  The only result that showed on the screen. "Dragonsteel: Sanderson, Brandon.  Location : BYU"

She looks at the screen and says, her voice becoming bubbly, "Oh look, it's at BYU."

HEAD - DESK - HEAD - DESK - HEAD -DESK!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2009, 07:49:45 PM »
hahaha...maybe you should've written it down for her. When do you get it?
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 08:14:57 PM »
miyabi - LOL. Sounds like quite the frustrating experience. At least they found it. Hopefully it doesn't take to long to get to you. It's a fun read.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2009, 08:30:03 PM »
Probably in a week or so, which is good, because that way I can finish The Eye of the World before it gets here. ha ha.  I can't wait to read it.  It's his only published book I haven't read. 
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2009, 08:58:26 PM »
and to think people get confused as to the cause of the decline in reading in the US.

this reminds me of the time after i quit the bookstore and I soon began losing touch with all the newest books coming out. I asked for the newest similar item like Harry Potter for my wife. They had no idea what I was talking about. This happens more often than you think. I don't ask questions in bookstores anymore. ever.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2009, 09:25:07 PM »
Honestly, if it hadn't been a book I REALLY wanted to read I would have just walked away.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2009, 11:58:03 PM »
I have a friend who works at the library. Don't judge him.

-He's not a librarian, though. He just shelves books :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!