Author Topic: PDA/Blackberry  (Read 2732 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
PDA/Blackberry
« on: December 06, 2008, 08:02:37 PM »
so I don't want a new phone

I don't want to browse the web or email or text message

I want a hand held device that I can put large text documents into  -- PDFs or Word files, for example. Like the LDS scriptures, like novels, etc. And I want to read these documents.
I want to take notes in said device, without using a phone-like keyboard, so I want qwerty.
Keeping a database of contacts is a bonus, but probably won't even be used
Free little games are also a bonus, but hardly necessary.
I want quick and easy connectivity with any computer, preferably by USB but since my laptop has bluetooth, that would be acceptable as well.
And I want a good screen, probably color display.

So... anyone know enough about this to give suggestions? It's ok if a the thing IS a phone or DOES is web browser enabled, i just don't want to pay a lot and I don't want to sign up for a phone plan. I'm happy with Verizon and my razr, thank you.

Who can point me in the right direction?

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
Re: PDA/Blackberry
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 10:07:44 PM »
I had PDA's for years and loved them. I'm in between PDA's at the moment and sorely want a new one.

It sounds like you are looking for a Palm Pilot. Even the low end models can do everything on your list.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 05:31:45 AM »
i currently use a palm Centro, which is a palm (duh) powered smartphone on the low end of the spectrum. I know it can do word documents (and e-books!), but i'm not sure about PDFs, never tried.

Notes are certainly there, i use them all the time (as well as scheduling on the calendar)

database of contacts is very yes, including home, cell, and work numbers, addresses, emails, contact photo, etc. And of course you only have to put in what you want.

Has solitare. I also got a small, old-schoolesque dungeon crawl (think dungeon master, or eye of the beholder) on there called pocket dimension 2 from here which if i remember correctly was free.

Quick connectivity is certain through USB, and i actually really like palm's system. It's pretty much plug it in, and click the button on the cable, and it does the rest.

Screen is touch screen and color.

In the scheme of things, it's kinda lame when it comes to online stuff, as palm is getting very dated, so it's not an uber phone deal that does all that stuff all the other things do. It's also cheap. Mine was free from verizon.

If you dont want a new phone because you dont want a phone plan, you can probably find some old, unlocked models that the centro is essentially an upgrade from. I would recommend the treo 650, that was my old phone, and does everything my current one does, just on crappier hardware (and it was bigger. Sadly, though, it had MUCH better battery life, which i hate :( )

It also works great as an MP3 player if you buy an SD card to put music on.

[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 07:27:32 AM »
to be honest SE PDAs are about dead and Phones won't do what you want well so I'd just pick up a $200 netbook like the EeePc which are (depending on the version) 7"-10" mini laptops that run either windows or Linux.  Heck I've seen the 4gb (drive) going for about $180 at Target a bit ago.  http://eeepc.asus.com/global/products.html?n=0

The reason these are better then pdas is they're small, the size of a hardback book, cheaper then phones/pdas, and have a full keyboard.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 03:34:41 PM »
I still prefer the PDA because it is small and LACKS a keyboard.

Small keyboards like that (or the blackberry style for that matter) are annoying for writing. And if I'm going to get a 'computer', I'm going to want to write.

But then again, maybe I just trained myself too well with the stylus :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 03:45:33 PM »
Ah, but I found a PDA that will do what I want for $55. That's considerably cheaper than $200. I don't need lots of apps for it, or for other people to use it.

CSmythe

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »
I use a Dell Axim Pocket PC. It runs Windows Mobile and will do everything my computer will should I need it to. But mostly I just use it to read books and keep track of my apointments. I got a full keyboard attachement that I can use when I need to write something long but otherewise I can use the stylus and either the character recognizer or the soft keyboard built in.