Poll

Which idea should we use?

submit once monthly, half the group on the 1st of a month, and half the group on the 15th
Wilson's idea wherein we have different submission cycles for each "group" that feels they can only submit weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, whatever.
Avalon's idea is that we have people "apply" to submit by Thursday of a given week, to send out on that Saturday.
Chaos suggested we have "submission points"; we each get three a month and can use as many as one or all three each month. If we don't use our points, they carry over into the next month.
M suggested we split the group into two: people who feel they can submit and critique weekly and people who feel they can only do so monthly (or whenever).

Author Topic: What would you like to do?  (Read 9122 times)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
What would you like to do?
« on: December 04, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »
I just went ahead and copied/pasted this from Reathe's post.  I saw that some people wanted a vote, so here we go.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: What would you like to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 11:43:24 PM »
Thanks Ben.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 12:45:46 AM »
Not to be technical or whatever (particularly since I didn't even vote for mine, because I know there's a better one on there....), but that's not exactly what my idea entailed. This is the example I gave:

Let's say we've got 4 monthly submitters (Jim, Andy, Dwight, and Michael), 4 bi-weekly submitters (Angela, Pam, Phyllis, and Kelly), and 4 bi-weekly skipping submitters (Ryan, Stanley, Creed, and Toby). The submissions would go something like so:

1--Jim, Pam, Angela, Ryan, Stanley
8--Andy, Phyllis, Kelly, Creed, Toby
15--Dwight, Angela, Pam, Ryan, Stanley
23--Michael, Phyllis, Kelly, Creed, Toby

So it's basically figuring out how often each of us want to submit, and then splitting up everyone so each week the submissions will be about equal...or something like that.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 12:47:41 AM »
I was just trying to get the essence of each idea, since I figure we've all been fairly actively participating in the discussion and know more or less what's going on. Sorry if I misrepresented you :P

Personally, I think Wilson only objected to have a chance to show off her colours again. ::)

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 12:50:44 AM »
Oh, it's okay...I just didn't want anyone getting the impression I was saying let's split up into three groups who each have their own submission date to everyone....or something to that effect.

And you could be right about that.... ;)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 12:52:43 AM »
I would think that is probable.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2008, 12:53:36 AM »
Ah, I see. That's fair.

And I could be. Stranger things have happened!

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:55:06 AM »
Meh, technically Avalon's idea is great, but the first option is just too neat and orderly for me not to vote for it. And it means I don't have to apply for anything, which is good, because applying could possibly be considered as some kind of an effort and hence work. ;D

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2008, 03:30:14 AM »
Do we want to set a time limit on the voting?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2008, 03:31:15 AM »
Nah, let's just see if we can wait and get in everybody's (or at least close to everybody's) two cents. Unless it drags out for an unreasonably long time, anyway.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2008, 03:33:22 AM »
No problem.  I was thinking around the 15th anyway, so we'll just wait and see. ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:31:27 PM by Necrobells will be ringing »

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2008, 08:32:58 AM »
Well, discussion on this idea seems to have more or less died, so I guess I ought to take some initiative here...

Reaves suggested, and I can't remember where it was, that we keep the same submission dates and let whoever's ready submit every time.  I still think this could easily end up slamming us with too much material every couple of weeks, and that people might not get read because of it. I'm pretty sure Reaves disagrees with me though.

So my proposal for the upcoming submission date: Everyone whose deadline it is will submit as normal. And as Reaves suggested, everyone who submitted last time, but feels ready, will also submit (no obligation). That way, we don't mess with our original deadlines, for those of us who need until the 15th to get ready, and we can try out Reaves's suggestion without having to wait overlong to see if it works. We'll know pretty quick if we feel overloaded by the extra submissions (or if we WOULD feel overloaded if most of us weren't on or nearing winter break).

And, whatever the results, I propose that the week after that (or whenever) we give Avalon's idea a shot. We'll be able to get a feel for whether that'll let the people who are ready submit faster, without giving us quite so much material to look at, and we can see whether the application process is too clunky.

From there, we can pick the one we like best, or go back to our original idea, or try something else. What does everyone think?

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 08:40:46 AM »
....I could submit for the 15th....I think I'll wait for the next week when we try out Avalon's idea, though...I like his idea... It's pretty basic, and just an all-around good idea (much better than mine...mine's too complicated right at the beginning....but afterward it gets better....but still...). Anyway. It's good for regulating the amount of submissions, and yet making sure that everyone gets a chance to submit, if they want to....I like it.

Not sure about the 15th submission though. That could get crazy. I still haven't got through all the submissions from the 1st...but I guess we can see how it goes. No harm in that...

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 08:49:41 AM »
Exactly. I kind of feel like now is the best time to do it - if we would find it really overwhelming some other time, well, at least this time people shouldn't suffer too much in terms of missing out on crits, because most of us will probably have at least some extra time on our hands.

Hmm... One other thing we could maybe do, instead of futzing with submission dates, is raise the word limit on submissions, so that people could submit two chapters at a time instead of one. Or whatever. But that could also affect what they get in terms of crits...

Just something about. Probably not that feasible. And I think we should try this other stuff first.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 08:54:13 AM »
Yeah. Word limit could be raised....People are already submitting over the 4k limit (which is fine)....so maybe 6k?...or something...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:58:44 AM by little_wilson »