Poll

Which idea should we use?

submit once monthly, half the group on the 1st of a month, and half the group on the 15th
Wilson's idea wherein we have different submission cycles for each "group" that feels they can only submit weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, whatever.
Avalon's idea is that we have people "apply" to submit by Thursday of a given week, to send out on that Saturday.
Chaos suggested we have "submission points"; we each get three a month and can use as many as one or all three each month. If we don't use our points, they carry over into the next month.
M suggested we split the group into two: people who feel they can submit and critique weekly and people who feel they can only do so monthly (or whenever).

Author Topic: What would you like to do?  (Read 9121 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Re: What would you like to do?
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 06:39:49 AM »
I'd say that those people planning on an additional submission on the fifteenth should do at least one additional crit. Seems fair to me.

I'd be surprised if that were an issue, though.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2008, 04:48:20 AM »
So....what are we doing? I'm pretty sure we said we'd try Avalon's idea...So when are we doing this? Next week? Are we doing it the way he said and submitting on Saturday? Or on Monday, like another person (can't remember who) suggested?
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
For what it's worth (which is probably about two cents at the most), I'd be ready for another round any day now.
We're kind of snowed in over here and I have way too much time on my hands....
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2008, 05:55:57 PM »
I think we should go ahead and try Avalon's idea; simple, yet elegant.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2008, 08:03:08 PM »
I agree.  Lets do it. ;D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »
So start signing up today? For a Saturday submission? Or for next Monday? I'm fine with either one...To be honest, I'm ready to submit today, so yeah....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

M

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2008, 09:38:45 PM »
Soooo...how do we sign up again?   ???

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2008, 09:45:25 PM »
I don't think we ever came to a consensus on that....Maybe we can start up a thread for submission sign-ups. Not any specific date, though, because if we choose to stick with Avalon's idea permanently then we can probably just sticky the thread....Or something...

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2008, 09:49:13 PM »
Do we need one of our great leaders to take charge for us? Silk, Chaos?... Input Please?

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2008, 10:06:11 PM »
I figure that, assuming great hordes of people don't suddenly decide that Avalon's idea isn't so great after all, we should just go ahead and let him create the "Submission Thread", where we can post that we want to submit that round. He knows his plan best after all, and he can tell us exactly what that plan is as far as time and expiration dates* go.

I would prefer to submit on Saturday rather than Monday though; I must admit I'm ready for the next round too!

*the time by which you must post in the Submission Thread to announce that you wish to submit another section of manuscript to the general populace of RE.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 11:28:22 PM by Reaves »
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2008, 01:12:55 AM »
I just wanted to make sure we weren't stepping on anybodies toes, but I don't really care who does it, as long as it happens sometime.
And yes, I am also in the Let's-do-it-as-soon-as-possible-but-I-can-wait-until-Saturday-or-even-Monday-if-I-have-to camp... Or LDITASAPBCWUSOEMIIHT for short (Let's see a few of you try to pronounce that). :)

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2008, 01:20:13 AM »
I just wanted to make sure we weren't stepping on anybodies toes, but I don't really care who does it, as long as it happens sometime.
And yes, I am also in the Let's-do-it-as-soon-as-possible-but-I-can-wait-until-Saturday-or-even-Monday-if-I-have-to camp... Or LDITASAPBCWUSOEMIIHT for short (Let's see a few of you try to pronounce that). :)

I did at first but... I gave up at LDITAS.

Should we wait a few days for Avalon to make a new thread, or should we go-ahead and do it?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2008, 03:39:31 AM »
I would rather it be on Monday, and here's why: that way, you can put some polish on your manuscript over the weekend! That seems to be a lot more practical than actual Saturday submissions.

Beyond that, Avalon should post up his submission topic. Once we determine the exact date of submission, then he can proclaim which day of the week would be the deadline for applications for submission would be. (Mmm, that sentence is a bit wordy, but instead of revising it, I think I will just let you try and make sense of it)

One note about the "applications": I don't imagine Raethe and I would actually refuse someone if they wanted to submit. As of now, with this smaller group, I think it would be acceptable to have everyone submit whichever week they wanted. New members have seemed to subside for the time being. Plus, I think everyone has gotten good critiquing from multiple people on their submissions thus far, so all things considered, RE is going very well.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2008, 03:43:08 AM »
Alright, so what is the general consensus of who wants to do it when?

I really hate to take another vote, we do so many of those around here, but if thats what it takes  :'(

As for me, I am officially on break from school! So personally having Saturday and Sunday to polish up my next chapter wouldn't help much  :P but obviously that isn't the case for everyone.

Necroben

• Level 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2008, 03:48:45 AM »
I would rather it be on Monday, and here's why: that way, you can put some polish on your manuscript over the weekend! That seems to be a lot more practical than actual Saturday submissions.

...so all things considered, RE is going very well.

Well as far as polishing goes: I personally would wait until after the submission.  For me that's my main motivation for a writing group.  I know that there are things wrong with it, I just don't really know where.  But that's just me. ;D

I agree, thing's are going great so far. ;)