Poll

Which idea should we use?

submit once monthly, half the group on the 1st of a month, and half the group on the 15th
Wilson's idea wherein we have different submission cycles for each "group" that feels they can only submit weekly, bi-monthly, monthly, whatever.
Avalon's idea is that we have people "apply" to submit by Thursday of a given week, to send out on that Saturday.
Chaos suggested we have "submission points"; we each get three a month and can use as many as one or all three each month. If we don't use our points, they carry over into the next month.
M suggested we split the group into two: people who feel they can submit and critique weekly and people who feel they can only do so monthly (or whenever).

Author Topic: What would you like to do?  (Read 9120 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: What would you like to do?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »
Yeah. Word limit could be raised....People are already submitting over the 4k limit (which is fine)....so maybe 6k?...so something...

Word limit is just a guideline. I'm okay with "not an entire novel", honestly.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2008, 09:39:09 AM »
I agree, personally, though I think a couple people with lengthier submissions last time got comments on it...

Edit: Chaos, you gonna weigh in on the this week-next week proposal thingy? Whatever it was I said? ::)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2008, 06:26:46 PM »
I think we should go with it. I mean whats it going to hurt to give it a try.

I myself still plan on submitting on the 15th. I've recently been adding a lot of material to my submission so it might not be ready but I still have some hope that it will
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2008, 06:34:00 PM »
Oh! I hope it is too....This is the submission I'm looking forward to. So much! I've never been a character in a story before... :D
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »
Well Ive never written a full short stoy before, let alone attempted to incorporate other real people in one. So expect the unexpected. . .   
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2008, 06:44:13 PM »
Oh, that's precisely what I'm expecting....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:23 AM »
So, having read this whole thread, It's still not clear to me what we're doing. Have we come to a decision on whether or not we're changing the way we work this? If so, what are we doing?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2008, 12:03:43 AM »
I'm waiting for people to respond to my proposal on the bottom of the first page.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2008, 01:01:48 AM »
I must say that I'm rather biased.  What I have written is from my NaNo writing, and is already done--for the most part--except for revisions.  I've cut about 20k from it, but added about the same on paper.  My goal right now is to get comments on what I do have as quickly as possible to meet my June deadline for the Proof Copy.  Whatever plan we go for is fine.  I'm just partial to being able to submit as much as I can though.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2008, 04:39:33 AM »
I think thats the general vibe most people are giving, but a lot of people want to wait and see how the 15th goes first. I did rather like the idea that anyone who wants to can submit on the 15th, strangely enough. Depending on how that goes we'll graduate to Avalon's idea.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2008, 04:54:01 AM »
I concur with letting the 15th's submission go ahead, anyone wanting to submit.

Let me first say that I like Avalon's idea. However, I believe the way it would be implemented is rather poor. I don't know about the rest of you, but the weekends are more like my prime writing time, because there is plenty of free time there compared with my normal week. It seems silly that in Avalon's method, we would submit on a Saturday, cutting off this prime time to write. In my mind, it would make far more sense to shift the actual day of submission to Monday. That way, it motivates people to write on the weekend.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2008, 06:00:43 AM »
I too, support the idea of letting anyone submit on the 15th.
However, I've gotta hurry up and read the rest of the submissions from the 1st! Lousy laziness.

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »
For now I agree with letting anyone submit. I don't have a clear view of how many stories I can read and give feedback to yet. I assume we'll have to agree on a maximum amount per batch in which priority would go to the people scheduled. It would be rather frustrating I think to submit a story and then finding out it was one of the stories no-one had time to read.

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 01:07:05 AM »
The problem with everyone submitting on the 15th is the same as the one for the original idea of having one deadline (too many stories to read and review well). Maybe I'm biased being on the list of 15th submitters, so take this with an extra grain of salt, but we might want to just implement the new method after the 15th and continue it normally so we aren't flooded with 10,000 stories during the last couple of days of finals and work before the holidays.
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 06:26:06 AM »
Hmm... I wonder how many are planning to keep to schedule and submit on the 15th?  Of those who actually said they would.  That could give us a better idea of how much will be coming our way.  And how many of those submitting are/will keep to the 1:1 arrangement?
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)