Author Topic: My chili should cook faster  (Read 4598 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
My chili should cook faster
« on: December 14, 2004, 12:47:15 AM »
I want my crockpot to cook my chili faster :(

There are several secrets to good chili

1. Liquid Smoke if you arent cooking outside liquid smoke is the best way to add just the right amount of flavor to the meat.

2. Use 80% lean ground beef mixed with a little sirloin, its just the right amount of fat and flavor.

3. Cumin... nuff said

4. A 1/2 cup of beer helps break down the protein in the meat... the alcohol cooks away :)

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Captain Morgan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Captain Morgan - The Nectar of the Gods...
    • View Profile
Re: My chili should cook faster
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 03:15:36 AM »
But the alcohol is definitely the best part.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 03:16:40 AM by Captain_Morgan »
"Why make billions when we could make ......... millions?" - Dr. Evil
http://www.moviesoundscentral.com/sounds/austin_powers/drevil.wav

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 03:24:06 AM »
I dont think so, but the tenderness of the meat after the alcohol cooks off is nice.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 03:35:39 AM »
I want my crockpot to cook my chili faster

Isn't the point of usingn a crockpot to get that flavor that only comes from slow, prolonged cooking?

Cause otherwise you could just use a normal pot on the stove.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 06:04:25 AM »
I think 6 hours is slow, but my stomach demands more immediacy.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 12:04:27 PM »
I've read that a significant percentage of alcohol added to cooking does not burn off.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 12:41:59 PM »
Only way to find out is to eat all the chili and see how you feel.

I don't think i could ever bring myself to add beer to anything.  I might as well catch a skunk and let it run around the house.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 12:46:42 PM »
This page from Food Network is enlightneing.
an extract:
A USDA study has disproved the theory that alcohol evaporates completely when heated. In truth, cooked food can retain from 5 to 85 percent of the original alcohol, depending on various factors such as how and at what temperature the food was heated, the cooking time and the alcohol source.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 12:54:39 PM »
Don't taunt me so, Jeffe.

Post the recipe!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2004, 01:48:33 PM »
when you cook 1/2 cup of beer in a slow cooker for 6 hours with a full 12 oz of beef stock and 8 oz of tomato sauce there is almost no alcohol in the leavings. the liquid itself reduces by 2/3s and since alcohol has a lower boiling point than water almost all of that isnt water. But yeah if 5% of the cup survived then thats not so bad, there are foods with natural alcohol amounts that exceed that.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2004, 02:18:37 PM »
I like a nice terlinga red chili, which has a base of cumin cayanne chili powder, garlic and onion powder. It comes out a nice deep red color.

Chili is the easiest thing in the world to cook, and the most customizable, but my recipe goes like this.

Mix spices, about 1/2 cup to 2/3's cup worth. (make your own mix you chili grubbin varmits)

If you have time
cook some bacon and brown your meat in cast iron skillet, or throw some lard in to the mix. If you hate lard or bacon you can use another emulsifier ( Butter, Margarine)  but use an emulsifier at this stage along with some light seasoning (liquid smoke to taste, onion powder, and a little garlic) you use salt too, but only after the bulk of your meat browns so you can taste how much your putting in.

Some chilis have tomato sauce, and some dont... if you like a little tomato add 8 oz of sauce for every 2.5 pounds of beef.

Which brings me to the taste part, browning the meat first means you have done 2 things. 1 youve locked in all the moisture and juciness you can and 2 youve cooked the meat. Sample liberally past this point because you can, there is no excuse for bad chili if you browned your meat first.

If you can help it dont brown meat in the microwave, as it tends to boil water out of the food. Its also easier to rubberize your beef.

I used 2.5 pounds of 80 ground round beef, which makes about 5 bowls of chili without beans when your done, if you want more, add more beef up to 5 pounds and adjust the cooking time, liquids and spices.

A lot of chilis include water once you throw the browned beef into a crockpot, dutch oven, or stewpot. I submit that each and every person who puts plain water in their chili is a lunatic. Lunatic I say!
Why , well why put in water when you can add beef stock, or a little chicken stock. People not afraid to add a bit of alcohol can add a little beer (which really tenderizes the meat) (Chicken stock will also tenderize the beef due to its natural enzimes so if you hate the idea of adding beer use a little of it)

So throw ypur beef into a crock pot (undrained), add your liquids (including tomato sauce) and spices, then stir to get a nice mix. I like to throw a whole smoked jalapeno pepper in at this point. If your using a crock pot you now face a dilemma.

The slower this chili cooks the better it will be, and your crockpot should have a low setting and a high setting. Cooking the chili on low for 10+ hours will ensure the best tasting result if you got your spices right. It will also kill your family as the savory smell of cooking chili permeates every nook, cranny and hollow in your house. Be warned cooking chili can drive a person mad. THe fastest option is to set your cooker on high, and cook the chili for about 4 hours, till the chili reaches the consistancy you like after stirring. All cookers are not the same so it will be a fairly hands on process with you checking and stirring every 40 minutes or so. (mainly just stir) On high you can up the hours to about 7 without seriously rubberizing the meat, but take care, if you plan to cook it longer you probably want to switch it to low.

Notice I havent added any beans, or vegetables into the mix except for on jalapeno pepper. Dont untill you plan to serve it.
Chili can be eaten as a meat dish, but beans are a little fragile and impart too much of their flavor  to cook with the chili and adding already cooked beans is a surefire way of having gloppy disgusting beans in your chili. Add them in last 30 minutes to the mix, or heat them and spoon your chili on top (my reccomendation) Vegi's likewise shouldnt be cooked with the chili unless you need them as spices. The long cooking time ensures that those onions you put in are going to be vaporized or that tomato will disintegrate into the mix. Chili works best as a medium with which to serve fresh ingrediants with. So chop that onion and tomato and jalapeno if you want, but dont add them untill you chili hits the bowl. Trust me you will be pleased with the result. oh, and one last thing... if you dont like cornbread (because your a commie or a yankee) then try a potato roll or a kings Hawaiian roll (the sweetness complements the savoryness of the chili)

anyhow thats how I cook my chili.
Results may vary.

For those willing to skimp on a step use a store bought chili spice mix (in your supermarkets soup section)

MoreDew

• Level 6
  • Fire up the woodchipper, it's punishment time!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2004, 03:11:11 PM »
mmmmm, chili (MoreDew proceeds to drool).
gimme a tattoo of a butt, with a butt-shaped tattoo, right on my butt!

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2004, 05:09:44 PM »
Cumin is wonderful.  
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2004, 06:22:40 PM »
I would like to point out that the proper spelling is chile, derived from the Aztec language.  People outside of the southwest refuse to spell it correctly.  (The issue once went to congress, when a New Mexico senator tried to make "chile" the official spelling.  It failed, which is sad.)

Also, I'll have to post my chile recipe when I get home.  There's a saying in New Mexico: "If you want to cook beans, cook beans.  If you want to cook chile, cook chile."  Chile should never contain beans!   :)
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2004, 06:36:48 PM »
I am entirely of the same opinion when it comes to beans,... but some people just have to have them... Im just saying if they plan on adding them it needs to be at the end or they have a mess.