Author Topic: I finally converted someone!  (Read 9305 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: I finally converted someone!
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2008, 10:32:37 PM »
I have a hard time selling the whole fantasy book thing, so I am going about it from another side.  I talk up Alcatraz every chance I get because I know a lot of mothers and the children's librarian in town is a friend.  Not a lot of sales now, but just wait ten years or so.

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2008, 02:19:38 PM »
id like to say. that I myself am a Sanderson convertee. I wasn't much of a read, until about a year and a half ago. When I started to work graveyards at my work. I start out with Magna, but a 10 dollars a day was killing my wallet. So I decided to try a real book. At first I pick up Karen Miller "The Innocent Mage", but it was only book 1 of 2. So i turn to a friend of my on this MMORPG i played. See i needed a new book until "The Awaken Mage" came out, and i was a bit scared  to pick out a book I wouldn't like. So i ask him and he gave me a list of 20 some odd books(no joke there). So i asked him out of all those book which did chose, and he said "Mistborn". So that how Brandon Sanderson became my favorite writer. I will admit I haven't read a lot of book, and I'm now just starting Wheel of Time(on book #6). But i can still say though Sanderson is my #1  ;D
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2008, 02:25:20 PM »
I converted a friend and co-worker of mine. I wouldnt rally call it converting. I mean I got him to read the Sword of Truth then the Wheel of Time and then Mistborn. So he pretty much does whatever I say when it comes to what to read. He did however return the favor with converting me to the Sword of Shanara series that was pretty good.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2008, 09:56:13 PM »
I have a hard time selling the whole fantasy book thing, so I am going about it from another side.  I talk up Alcatraz every chance I get because I know a lot of mothers and the children's librarian in town is a friend.  Not a lot of sales now, but just wait ten years or so.

OMG!!! I  thought I was the only one obsess with Alcatraz!! To me that's the best book in the world. I know the book from cover to cover!! I've tried to get my friends to read it but it's not really working. What would you think if someone asked you a book and you said Alcatraz Verses the Evil Librarians there going to give some funny looks.  :) But I hope your right about Alcatraz being one of those big books that everyone's reading.

Bastille
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 09:57:52 PM by Bastille »
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2008, 11:14:02 PM »
What would you think if someone asked you a book and you said Alcatraz Verses the Evil Librarians there going to give some funny looks.

Yes, but then I get funny looks for all sorts of other reasons.  Both of my boys have taken Alcatraz to school to try and convert their teachers.  My 4th grader's teacher siad she would read it to her class after Christmas.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 12:28:10 AM »
Are you serious!!  :o I would LOVE to read Alcatraz in class but I'm like in 7th grade but it doesn't make a difference. I know that book word for word. There is nothing in that book that I wouldn't get. The second, I CANNOT wait until it comes out on audio!! I have the 1st on audio and Charlie McWade does and AWESOME job!

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2008, 12:30:50 AM »
This is cool. I think Bastille might be our youngest active poster. I like it and I really think that I'm going to read Alcatraz now. I love entertaining books and this one sounds fun.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2008, 12:37:43 AM »
Thanks so much!!  ;D I know you'll love it. I know someday Alcatraz will get it's time in the sun.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2008, 05:30:35 AM »
I know! I love "The List" in Scivenger's bones! I quote it all the time to my friends!
Zas
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2008, 05:33:46 AM »
I too enjoyed the Alcatraz books very much. They were quick reads, but ultimately awesome in every respect.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2008, 06:11:03 AM »
I am also trying to get my friends to convert to Brandon Sanderson, so I can wonder about Hoid and the external tempral time metal,  and Shards with someone.
Zas
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2008, 11:20:35 AM »
I know! I love "The List" in Scivenger's bones! I quote it all the time to my friends!
Zas

Ah the list. I think that, that part was hilarious. Kaz is just crazy but yet he can be very responsible. Australia on the other hand is a bit crazy. Bastille, OMG I don't know where to start with her. She and Shasta are my FAVORITE characters!! Bastille changes so much between the first and the second to me. She seems a little more nice towards Alcatraz. Okay I have to stop or I'll do all the characters!! :)

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

leiftinspace

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2008, 06:53:32 PM »
I'll have to read alcatraz, and all those others too. I've been reading BS stuff for about 2 weeks, but have already read elantris and the mistborn trilogy twice, and the most recent version of Warbreaker once. I have a hard time converting people to books though. I've tried to get several people to read WoT, or even Sword of Truth (yes, I read Goodkind). They never do. Oh well, maybe someday. BTW, I definitely recommened anything by David Eddings, Terry Brooks, and anything in the forgotten realms by R.A. Salvatore.
"Stupid fat hobbit! You ruins it!"

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »
All of Brandon Sanderson's books are very good reads and you won't waste time reading them.

Bastille
Nothing gold can stay.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2008, 04:41:37 AM »
leftinspace you just effectively listed almost half the books ive read over the past year. Eddings, Goodkind, Jordan, Brooks and Salvatore.