Author Topic: Mormonism & Sanderson's Writing  (Read 5273 times)

Skeptic

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mormon Doctrine & Sanderson's Writing
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2009, 01:09:15 PM »
So I guess you're saying I can rest assured Sanderson is unlikely to have Joseph Smith popping out of a dimensional portal and saving the world at the end of the book.  Good to know.   ;)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »
Quick question, Skeptic; Are you aware how devout a Christian Robert Jordan was? How devout his wife is?  Would you have read them if you knew that ahead of time?  Read Elantris, focus specifically on the conversations Serene has with both Hroden and her group of friends, and then try to tell me you see abject fundamentalism.  Stop worrying so much about book 12; If you don't trust Brandon, you don't trust Harriet.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »
Ah, skeptic.

It's nice to see you ignoring the actual context of the scriptures you used to prove Mormon doctrine inherently racist.

You did catch the fact that the people who were "cursed" with dark skins were going to end up among the most blessed on Earth, right?  Without the skin color changing, right?  That did sink in right?  I mean, you read the context and understood it as well as the early Mormons did, right?  You actually studied it long enough to realize it really, honestly, truthfully doesn't mean what you thought it meant, right?  Because the context your original claim for it is, despite your best claims, despite the rhetoric, is exactly what I said it was, and your first claim in your first post is, well, objectively wrong.   You realize this, right?

No, of course you don't.  I know better, I really do.  But I can dream, can't I?  Besides, getting you to understand the context would require having you actually read the Book of Mormon, something I seriously doubt you'd try.  If you are worried about changes in the text, you can always find a copy of the original; they cost more but they are still being sold.  Unfortunately, most of the text isn't actually on the subject of race or murdering innocent people, so I suspect you'd lose interest pretty quickly.  It's not nearly as interesting as being told by somebody else what Mormon's believe.  Finding out from original rather than secondary sources can be such a drag.
Nature hates being reified.

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2009, 04:24:48 PM »
read the Book of Mormon, something I seriously doubt you'd try.  If you are worried about changes in the text, you can always find a copy of the original; they cost more but they are still being sold.

After all this talking, I am interested in reading it. Is there any edition you'd recommend?

[Sorry for the huge offtopic]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:28:02 PM by Hanami »

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
Skeptic, you're really fighting a losing battle here. If you look at all the posts you have made, all the ones what take up entire pages, they are filled with debates on points in the Mormon religion, using the Book of Mormon as an example. At the end of each post, you put some 1-2 line thing that somehow connects what  you just spent a half hour researching to BS and his books. You're not debating Mormonism in connection to BS anymore; you're just debating Mormonism alone, and I think that's really what you wanted to do. I don't know what your beef with Mormonism is, but from what you have said, all you have done is established yourself as a hypocritical, biased, belligerent person who doesn't refuses to take in what other people are saying.

Also, to (kind of) add to what happyman said, in each religious Book there are always many, many double-meanings. Different philosophers, scholars, and every-day people can read the same phrase/sentence/section and see completely different meanings. Not only will their readers see multiple translations; those who first wrote the Book may have meant it to be read in several ways. Using examples from religious Books is risky at best.

The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 05:50:19 PM »
That's a good post, Shaggy.

I apologize to everybody for getting sucked into this.  It has nothing to do with Brandon Sanderson, not the way Skeptic is taking it, which should make his true intentions quite clear.

I hereby back out of this thread, and will not post in it again.  This is the wrong time and the wrong place, and I've got far better things to be doing with my time.
Nature hates being reified.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 05:53:32 PM »
Hanami - You can read the Book of Mormon online at lds.org/scriptures or you can request a free copy at mormon.org. Other editions are available, but they are harder to find (aka not free).
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2009, 08:15:13 PM »
Also according to the article, an Egyptologist was expelled from the Mormon church for pointing out that Joseph Smith had made an error in translating an ancient document.

So here we have the Mormon church threatening to expel academics for stating simple incontrovertible facts based on their own research. In this day and age, the leadership of very few faiths would do so.

In light of all this, I think I'm absolutely justified in my suspicion that Sanderson must ensure that nothing in any of his books could potentially anger the Mormon church elders if brought to their attention.  This in turn may influence the writing of the last book in the Wheel of Time series.

EDIT: impolite comments redacted. Skeptic, if you read it before I removed it, I apologize.

Ok. Do you honestly believe that Brandon Sanderson, or any author of fiction, could be expelled from (or even reprimanded by) the Church for something he wrote in a work of fiction? Let me assure you: that's bunk.

In fact, I doubt the church would convene a disciplinary council over an academic paper either. If he were a professor at BYU they might have fired him (which is, by the way, a policy I don't wholly agree with), but excommunication...that's reserved for more serious offenses. I'm willing to bet there's more to that story than anyone is telling you, or ever will, because details of such proceedings are private.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 09:35:40 PM by ryos »
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2009, 08:25:38 PM »
Excommunicated for a fiction book? Have you ever read any Orson Scott Card? If it were going to happen, it would have long ago.

Hanami, it was off topic from the start.

You may be able to get a copy of the current edition (1981) from a library. Looks like the Kindle version is 80 cents, and there's also a $10 hardcover edition from Doubleday on Amazon that has stripped out all the footnotes to make for a streamlined reading experience. Some might prefer reading the 1830 version, which has different chapter breaks and is not divided into verses, but it has some older spellings, different punctuation, and a few more "and it came to pass"es. (There are some other changes but they're generally not significant.) Almost everyone who reads it nowadays just uses the standard 1981 edition. (Though more recent printings do use thinner paper than they used in 1981.)

One method of reading it for the first time that I have heard from a couple church leaders is to start near the end of the book, in 3 Nephi chapter 11 (the visit of Jesus) and then read through the end and start back at the beginning...then read through to the end again. The reasoning for this suggestion is that in 2 Nephi, toward the beginning of the book, there are a lot of quotes from Isaiah which some people say get boring and prompt many first-time readers to put the book down before they get to the meat of the story. If you keep that in mind, though, and intend from the start to keep reading all the way to the end, then that really is the best way to read it (the way it was originally intended) because there's quite a bit in the later parts that is a lot clearer only with the context that's in the first part of the book. (Do read the introductory material as well.)

Nowadays with the 10-minute-at-a-time reading schedules many people have, it can take months to get through the book. Back when it first came out, there are numerous people who finished it within a day. Well, that probably still happens, but it does take some time dedication. It's a pretty easy book to read though, I think. I mean, if you've read a series of multiple thousand-page fantasy novels, 531 pages is not a big deal.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 08:27:33 PM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Loki76

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2009, 03:27:31 AM »
Skeptic..... Ok, First I would like to point out, that I do not consider myself mormon.  I was raised LDS and have a fairly good understanding of the church, however the last time I went to church, George Bush SR. was president.  However I see so many assumptions and closed minded arguements that I have to comment here.

It is disingenuous to argue that Mormon preaching and practice as directed by the leaders of its church wasn't racist until quite recently (after 1978).

Ok,   So have you not considered alternative ways to think about this?  Here is one.  I am not saying it is true, simply that it is a simple, and logical, way to consider this in a different light then what you think of it as.

Fact 1. those of African decent were not allowed to hold the preisthood in the mormon church until 1978.   This is undeniable. It is simple fact.

Postulate 1:  "fact 1 is proof the doctrine of the mormon church was racist until 1978"

However it does NOT alone prove that the doctrine (aka preaching and practice) is racist.   You could safely postulate that it enables racism.  But not that it is inherently racist.   Like all theories, your assumption here must withstand the test of reason from all directions.  A single example of a non racist way to interpret this is enough to prove it false. So here is one off the top of my head.  If the mormon church practitioners themselves were not worthy of accepting blacks as equals, then perhaps this privilege needed to be withheld until they attained enough tolerance to accept it.  There is no need for the doctrine to be inherently racist.
    Given that the rights to vote for African Americans were only firmly protected in 1965 by the National Voting Rights Act,  It is safe to say that a large portion america was very much racist for a long long long time.   Does this make every American racist as well?   Does this make the government racist prior to 1965?  No.  However a government's responsibility is to look after the stability of it's people, (as well as the rights, freedoms, and protection thereof)  at the end of the american civil war, the laws that abolished slavery did not go over smoothly, and the conflict over these festered for years.    While the 15th amendment  in 1870 required the right to vote be extended regardless of race,  it was NOT heavily protected by action for a long long time. (1965)  it took 95 years for the american population to get used to the idea enough  to consider it reasonably enforced.  Was this the blacks fault?  No.  It was simply the fault of the population itself.   This does NOT mean the U.S. government was racist. although the idea that many of them were not would be ridiculous, given they are still just people. with all human weaknesses and little different from the rest of the population.  Hundreds of years of social preconceptions do not overturn quickly or easily.  This is no different from church leaders.  They were simply men, with the same human weaknesses.  I would be surprised if none of them could ever be viewed as racist.  however this does NOT prove the doctrine is racist.

The Lamanites are generaly assumed to be native americans.  This is hard to deny, given that this is taught freely among mormons.   They are definately described to be cursed.  But also listed to be among the most blessed peoples as well.  While calling them cursed is not exactly praise, from a realistic point I find it hard to deny this.  If you wish for proof, then look no further then native american history following 1492.........  if you wish I could provide some nice flashy links,  but I don't think it's exactly needed, as you don't seem like a complete moron.  They hardly have an attractive history.  In fact it's more brutal and disgraceful then any work of fiction I have read (including George R. R. Martin's works)    Yes calling them cursed and other less savory adjectives is hardly pleasant,  it's hard to refute the simple fact that they have had a hard, brutal history.  Perhaps this is simple bad wording on the part of early church leaders?  It's rather hard to claim it's not plausible...

As for the Mountain Meadows Massacre.   well this AND the Aiken Massacre which you could have mentioned but didn't, were both decided in a court of law to be the work of local groups, NOT church leaders.  Your claim that Brigham Young ordered The Mountain Meadow's Massacre is entirely unfounded and simple propaganda.  There is no proof one way or the other.  If you wish to try to prove the mormon faith wrong, stick to facts please. NOT your own personal speculation based on nothing more then your bias, and the rumors of other people equally biased.  When you use claims like these, you simply undermine your entire argument.  After all, if you state falsehoods on one front, then your entire argument is cast into doubt.  As for the fact that mormons DID in fact murder quite a few people.  well, avoid looking at the history of your own ancestors. you might find equally unpleasant truths there as well.

Your claims that educated mormon men were persecuted by church leaders for their beliefs is also inherently flawed, as even IF you could prove any sort of cause and effect, you still would have to know the entire situation from both sides to sort through either case.  As an example of alternate ways to view it.  Sure we have genetic testing to prove closer genetic background with Asians then with middle eastern background for the native american population.  However the book of mormon does NOT rule out the existance of other populations in north america OTHER then the nephites and lamanites.  Given a relatively small group moving into a region with a much larger pre-existing population, you are going to have any genetic traits in that larger population become dominant after a couple generations,  let alone after 2600 years or so that the book of mormon claims.    Genetic testing does NOT disprove the book of mormon.  However if someone DID try to say it disproved it, well, First this is a false assumption, and Second, if  a well respected, and educated man, made the mistake of claiming it disproved his religion, well, can you honestly blame the leaders of said religion from not wanting him to be a part of their religion if he was undermining it?  This is the actions of any leaders of any large group, as long as they are acting responsibly.   (The responsibility of a leader is to protect the group as a whole.  simple logic dictates that if one member of a group, or even a small minority of said group is damageing to the larger group as a whole, that actions must be taken to protect said group)

None of this proves the mormon church is true either.  Because there is no proof ANY religion is true.  we simply have to take our own beliefs on faith, whatever they are.   However there isn't a single thing you have said that proves mormons, or their beliefs, are ANY worse at all then anyone else.  In fact everything you state simply proves they are as human as the rest of us.   So they made some mistakes.  So have you.  Who cares?   None of your obvious bias and prejudice against the mormon church inherently has anything to do with BS.   In fact your claims, which were FOUNDED on claiming they were biased against race at one point, are heavily undermined by the rather obvious bias you have demonstrated here.  You are the raven calling the crow black.     I personally do not believe that the mormonistic trends in places in his books are hardly noticeable enough to complain about, and as other people have stated, Harriet is editing this book, just like all the books she edited for her husband (robert jordan) Also, Robert Jordan outlined everything, left SO much notes and tapes, and even told the story to Harriet and a relative of his (Wilson) prior to his death.  (I was reading his blog regularly LONG before he died, and personally remember when Wilson posted having just heard the entire story....)  Conclusion.  The last WOT book will be every bit as good as if James Oliver Rigney himself wrote it...

Loki

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Mormonism & Sanderson's Writing
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2009, 03:32:13 AM »
Usually I just skim these religion vs. something threads and not really have an opinion. Personally, I'm not religious or anything, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying something made by religious people. Life's too short for picking and choosing random things to get upset about. Yeah, it might not be as masterfully worded as some of these posts, but that's just how I feel. It just doesn't bug me. :)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Mormonism & Sanderson's Writing
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2009, 03:41:11 AM »
This thread is locked, as there are enough Mormonism vs. Not threads which have already existed here.  If EUOL wants to choose to respond personally, and/or unlock this thread, he is welcome to.  But I'd rather not give this an opportunity to degenerate further into any sort of rancor.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."