Author Topic: Your Background  (Read 72954 times)

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Your Background
« Reply #255 on: March 23, 2009, 03:50:06 AM »
Whee!  Good to see you Writerchick!
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 23, 2009, 03:58:08 AM »
Hello Writerchick and welcome! ;D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »
My favorite author is Roger Zelazny. I had the pleasure of receiving a letter from him allowing me to use one of his short stories for the film that got me out of college. Sadly he passed away before I could present him with a copy of the finished film.

Wow, RZ is my favorite author as well. Which short story did you do a film on?
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #258 on: April 01, 2009, 05:40:47 PM »
My name is Renoard or Fred, I'll likely answer to either.  Like I said on "email list", dunno if this constitutes crashing the party.  If not, then let me say that I am a Student of Divinity, ironically, in real life.  I have loved speculative fiction for more years than there has been an MTV and I dabble a bit at writing and criticism.

Mostly I'm a professional time-waster, though I haven't done the RPG thing since before D&D had Drow...

The Writing Excuses threads are fun and really helpful, so they lead me here.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 05:44:00 PM by Renoard »
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #259 on: April 01, 2009, 05:44:34 PM »
Hello Renoard,

Welcome to the madness. :)
These are not my stories. I just write them.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
So, I'm finally getting around to throwing my hat in this here introductions ring.

My name's Ryan, I'm a Computer Science student at Brigham Young University, and I've always liked writing. I wrote my first story in first grade - it was about a pair of M&M's that came to life and it covered a single handwritten page. (I think I was on a "Short Circuit" kick at the time.) Since then, I've written little bits of fiction here and there, but never anything serious. Well, I'm trying to change that - I want to start producing potentially salable material.

I don't really aspire to write full-time - it's far easier to profit by writing code, I'm already good enough at that to get paid for it, and I love it as much as I love writing fiction - but I would love to be able, some day, to sell a story here and there.

I don't really harbor any illusions that my first serious attempt at a story will actually sell, but your wonderful feedback is pushing it closer than I could have on my own. Thank you all for that, and thanks for welcoming me so readily into the group.

Oh, I also love to read! And critique things I've read. I have strong opinions, and I hope that I don't offend people by letting those show through in my critiques. As I told one person, if I opine strongly about your work, it's because I like it enough to become invested in it! Anyway, I live in fear of offending someone with my critiques, so please accept my apologies in advance if it should happen to you.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 01, 2009, 07:34:28 PM »
My name is Renoard or Fred, I'll likely answer to either.  Like I said on "email list", dunno if this constitutes crashing the party.  If not, then let me say that I am a Student of Divinity, ironically, in real life.  I have loved speculative fiction for more years than there has been an MTV and I dabble a bit at writing and criticism.

Mostly I'm a professional time-waster, though I haven't done the RPG thing since before D&D had Drow...

The Writing Excuses threads are fun and really helpful, so they lead me here.

Lol, you'll fit right in  ;D
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 04, 2009, 05:55:46 PM »
My favorite author is Roger Zelazny. I had the pleasure of receiving a letter from him allowing me to use one of his short stories for the film that got me out of college. Sadly he passed away before I could present him with a copy of the finished film.

Wow, RZ is my favorite author as well. Which short story did you do a film on?

Sorry it took so long to reply. I've been internet-less for almost 2 weeks! Yikes! I'm just now getting caught up.

I made 'Divine Madness' from The Doors of His Face, The Lamps of His Mouth, and Other Stories. Reread the story and then bake your noodle trying to figure out how I did it. Yep, 75% of the film is presented in reverse! Still tells a good story.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

swaindaddy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
« Reply #263 on: April 28, 2009, 01:20:33 AM »
My name is Chris. I am married and we have one child (son). I love to write and have been doing it on and off for many years. I finally got around to finishing a novel last year and now I am addicted.

I write Fantasy in general but have a great love of Thrillers as well. I have been working on a book that is essentially about 14 years of world-building. Obviously, not full time. I hope to get to know more about everyone and look forward to helping critique. I also look forward to your opinions of my work when the time comes.

I am addicted to Writing Excuses, Jordan, Sanderson, Feist, Eddings, Goodkind and the like. I also love James Rollins, Matthew Reilly and of course Crichton.

I'm probably "the old guy" here at 35 but I am pretty immatur...young at heart.  Again, look forward to meeting all and getting involved.
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #264 on: April 28, 2009, 01:24:17 AM »
Welcome, Chris!   Glad to have another thirtysomething boy daddy in the group.  :)

And congrats on finishing your novel.  Will you be sharing that with us, or do you have other stuff?
These are not my stories. I just write them.

swaindaddy

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • christopherswain.net
« Reply #265 on: April 28, 2009, 01:28:49 AM »
I would gladly share it but i am more interested in opinions of my current work. I am about 1/3 (53,000) through it and need some momentum. I am hoping that a group will help with that. Either way I look forward to seeing what everyone else is doing. Thanks for the hello!
"People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything."

Wizard's First Rule —Chapter 36, p.397, U.S. hardcover edition

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 28, 2009, 02:08:26 AM »
Hey, and welcome from a newbie!  Looking forward to seeing what you've got for us.  I'm not a great fan of thrillers, but I read 'em every now and again... and Crichton is one of the ones I revisit occasionally.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 28, 2009, 02:10:00 AM »
Gotta love that guy.

The Great Train Robbery=masterpiece of genius
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #268 on: April 28, 2009, 02:10:43 AM »
Welcome!

Yes, I think we can safely say you're not the only "old guy" here.

*grins and ducks thrown objects*

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2009, 02:57:45 AM »
*continues to hurl random objects at Silk from position inside refrigerator*
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.