Author Topic: Your Background  (Read 87806 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Your Background
« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2009, 06:45:24 PM »
Hehe. But I wasn't demeaning the importance of learning/reading about history!!! Not at all!!! I was just saying that I don't read much of it  :P.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #211 on: January 16, 2009, 04:48:58 PM »
*looks nervously at prior posts on Cathars and Crusades - and promptly hides his rosary*

Hello my name is Pipe, and I'm an aspiring writer with a beautiful wife who perfectly complies with Scalzi's Advice Numero Tres: http://whatever.scalzi.com/2008/02/11/unasked-for-advice-to-writers-about-money/

I hail from the Philippines where I'm a lawyer by profession, although I'm planning to take a bit of a break soon to try other business ideas. I was raised on the post-Tolkien epic fantasy novel - Rosenberg, Eddings, Brooks, Williams, Jordan, Hobb, Gemmell - though my favorite authors at the moment are Lois McMaster Bujold and Jim Butcher.

Home-grown Speculative Fiction is slowly growing here in the Philippines (in the cities at least) and I really want to be part of that (If any of you are curious: http://philippinespeculativefiction.com/). Since most of my reading has been in the form of epic novels though, I've been trying to learn how to write short fiction since that is what most are in the market for here (I've had one success so far). I do think though that it's only a matter of time before local Spec Fic novels and series emerge, and I want to be ready when that time comes ^_^

So anyway, I just recently discovered writing podcasts in geenral and writing excuses in particular which lead me here so... Hi!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 16, 2009, 05:02:03 PM »
Welcome, Pipe! What Class are you training?
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

jwdenzel

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • JasonDenzel.com
« Reply #213 on: January 16, 2009, 06:03:08 PM »
Hi Pipe!  Welcome.  Looking forward to reading your work
J
These are not my stories. I just write them.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2009, 06:36:27 PM »
Wow, you're already published? That is so awesome, and a little intimidating, but welcome anyway! Glad to have you.
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2009, 06:58:32 PM »
Hi all! Thanks for the welcome.

@Shaggy: Not quite sure really - truth be told I saw that everyone has a "Class" data item, but I have no idea what it is @_@

@Frog: Well, it's a small genre magazine here -(non-pro rates) the field is only starting here in the Philippines really - so a lot of it is basically luck of the draw. I am proud of it though ^_^ Haven't submitted anything to the "majors" yet but will try for Writers of the Future this year.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2009, 07:08:13 PM »
Sweet. I'vegot a story that I'll submit to Writers of the Future this year, too.  Thinking of sending it to SF&F first, though. Quicker turnaround time, since this Writers of the Future quarter has basically just started...

Pro rates or not, you should be proud of that. At the stage most of us are at, getting our work out there is more important than getting paid, anyway. It hurts me to say it, but it's true.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2009, 07:46:12 PM »
Pipe, I looked at your profile, and it says you are a Student of Divinity.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2009, 09:30:13 PM »
Wow that is really cool that you have at least been published Pipe! That at least gives us some legitimacy as a writing group, lol  :P
look forward to seeing some of your stuff. That is, if you plan on submitting   :D
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

JoseB

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2009, 11:05:26 PM »
Greetings to everybody!

My name is Jose. I am Spanish, although I am now living in the Netherlands. I am a patent examiner by trade (I work for the branch of the European Patent Office located in The Hague) and I was directed to this message board by Howard Tayler, creator of the webcomic "Schlock Mercenary".

I have written some books in the past,  Sci-Fi, which I sent to a contest that my University (the Polytechnical University of Catalonia in Barcelona) was holding. One of them was about an A.I. that achieved sentience and the relationship it had with its creator; another was some kind of wacky surreal humorous adventure (or, at least, that is what I was aiming at) about a guy whose boss had himself put into hibernation (to actually escape from a series of people who, for very different reasons, wanted him very dead) and who suddenly finds that he is being hunted by a series of people who, for very different reasons, want him very dead... But they were definitely not what you might call "good" :)

After those attempts, I concentrated in my studies, went on with life, and ended up working here in the Netherlands.

Now... a friend of mine in Spain is a published author, and reading his work is what finally encouraged me to give another try at writing.

I already have ideas in mind for an alternative-history novel that I think could be rather interesting (at least, after doing some internet research, I have not been able to find anything published on that subject), and I have been trying to put something together.

However... I am writing in Spanish. All of my notes, all of my preliminary writings, everything. I imagine that this would be a problem in this group? Does anybody here speak Spanish to a level that would allow them to perform criticism of anything I might write? (I can read English reasonably well; I think I can reciprocate when it comes to reading and commenting on the writing of other people in English).

Of course, I can translate myself what I write from Spanish into English. Although I don't know if what sounds good in English (after criticism/correction) would sound good in Spanish, and vice versa :)

In any case... Here I am!

All the best,

JoseB
Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2009, 11:13:00 PM »
Welcome, Jose!

Unfortunately, I cannot say I read Spanish well enough to criticize your work. Sorry. I hope you find someone who can, though.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #221 on: January 17, 2009, 01:22:00 AM »
My understanding of Spanish isn't bad, but nowhere near the level that I'd need to be able to give a meaningful critique, I'm afraid.

Welcome, though.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 17, 2009, 02:05:13 AM »
I'll chime in a little late and say welcome.  Pipe and Josè, Welcome to the club. 

Pipe:  That is sooo cool!  Use that accomplishment as a building block for your dreams.  Don't put yourself down, you now have a Resumè!

Josè:  I'm sorry, I don't speak Spanish either.  Hopefully what you see of other submissions and the response's they get will be helpfull in your own works.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 17, 2009, 02:36:34 AM »
I don't read Spanish nearly well enough to help you out I'm afraid.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Pipe

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • More Than True
« Reply #224 on: January 17, 2009, 12:51:33 PM »
@Silk: Well, you're a step ahead of me for WoF then, since all I have are a few random story ideas. As for the story, I am proud of it, although it's still hard for me to look at a short story and think of it as 'complete'. @_@

@Shaggy: I saw that too, but I have no idea how that was determined :P Is it a random thing? Still, there are worse things to be ^_^

@Reaves: Thanks! I certainly aim to at some point - if I actually do start my novel, you guys can be my barometer of whether or not I can make Philippine culture accessible to foreigners ^_^

@Necroben: Thanks! I'll certainly try to.

---

@JoseB: Hi there! Unfortunately compulsory knowledge of Spanish was out of style by the time I entered school so I will sadly be of no help in Spanish texts... If you need any research done on the Spanish occupation of the Philippines though, I can help with that :P