Author Topic: Your Background  (Read 73002 times)

Karl

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Background
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2008, 07:09:12 AM »
Um... yeah... I remember the 70's too. *shudder* Why did any of those cloths come back in style?!? And though I was around for the Summer of Love, I can't say that I remember it.

And be proud of the lovely head of forehead you are growing! Them's battle scars!
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2008, 08:20:01 AM »
The only thing that will get the wedding going again is more posts.  I would post again, but I don't think I should quite yet.  Give others a chance to post and stuff.

As for my name, it's a hol tradition to change your name.  It's supposed to be first Christmas Snow.  Normally I'm firstRainbowRose.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2008, 11:27:28 AM »
Wow, you get sidetracked for a couple of weeks and you miss a wedding and the guy from DM suddenly pops up.

My name is Chris and I'm a 30 year old Dutch guy. Since being sideways involved in the founding of this writing group is my only claim to anything of note I will hang on to that as though my life depended on it. (yeah I'll admit to being slightly intimidated..)
I've done my share of studying, most notably psychology and law but had to cut that short due to health reasons. The upside to that is that I have time to be a fulltime writer before ever even submitting something for publishing.

I'm currently working on my first epic fantasy novel. It's rather dark fantasy in terms of atmosphere. Other than that I have a short story somewhere in the rewrite process somewhere which should be submitted as part of a collaborative collection somewhere next year.

Since I'm currently slogging through the middle part of my novel I have forbidden myself to start new writing projects until this draft is completely done in order to prevent it from being shelved. Therefore I requested a place on the readers list for now. I'll be building up credit for the next few months so I can hit you with my 200k manuscript all at once. Muhahah, wait, how's your Dutch?

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2008, 12:25:55 PM »
wait, how's your Dutch?
Add an e and an s and I'll say that my Deutsch is excellent.
I might be able to understand a word or two of your novel, maybe even get the gist of a few (short) sentences and guess at others... it worked with milk cartons and the like when I was in Amsterdam a few years back, a novel can't be all that different, right? Right? ::)

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 04, 2008, 02:20:03 PM »
Welcome Jason and Chris  ;D
"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!

wcarter4

• Level 5
  • I didn't do it I swear.
    • View Profile
    • technight
« Reply #155 on: December 04, 2008, 07:23:29 PM »
J...as in Jason of Dragonmount? It figures. You're one of only  four people I am highly jealous of. Welcome aboard
If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 05, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »
Lets keep the talk about The Legend Of The Seeker out of RE please. I can only take so much of it. If you feel the need to bash it please come join our communal bashfest in this thread http://www.timewastersguide.com/forum/index.php?topic=5945.0.

Anyway welcome, not all of us reply quickly. I have a hard enough time keeping up because I only post Mon-Fri and the posts can pile up over the weekend. Also its funny firstChristmaSnow, you said that you were almost scared to submit with a big name person here and then you said you were joking. I am scared to submit and I won't even lie to myself about it. Thats not to say that I wont its just showing the lack of confidence I have in my abilities.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Hayley

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 05, 2008, 12:27:50 AM »
Also its funny firstChristmaSnow, you said that you were almost scared to submit with a big name person here and then you said you were joking. I am scared to submit and I won't even lie to myself about it. Thats not to say that I wont its just showing the lack of confidence I have in my abilities.

Me too.... It's a big thing submitting to people you don't know really... I've not let anyone really see my writing unless I've known them for a while. Forum RP posts are different to actual pieces you've written on your own. But yeah, it's a scary thing.
"The rats on the street

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 05, 2008, 12:34:42 AM »
I think the best thing about it is that I don't actually know anyone here. If I did then I would more likely than not be more reserved about submitting. Showing these things to friends. . .   no thank you. I would rather have a complete stranger read something I wrote and give me a straight forward criticism than have a friend. A friend may have a biased opinion and it also gives them something to reference forever. "Hey remember that time you let me read your story" yeah I think im ok with that.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #159 on: December 05, 2008, 12:36:42 AM »
I have a few close friends who I consider very reliable crit partners, but I wouldn't ask a friend that I wasn't sure I'd get a straight answer from.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 05, 2008, 12:49:42 AM »
Yeah most of my friends don't read. They just aren't interested, I only have one friend who reads and has similar interests. I really want to be part of the group to see if I can write. Im fairly creative and like to try new things and this is just another way to express myself. Plus although I am scared I don't really fear failure seeing how I expect it.

Hayley

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 05, 2008, 12:51:52 AM »
See, from some friends you just get the "I've read it and it's fine." Done.

But with others, I get red marks on the page showing where I've gone wrong. In some cases, a lot of red. And it's nice to have friends who'll take the time to do that, really :)

It's just about asking the right friends, I think...
"The rats on the street

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 05, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »
I hear what your saying. My friends are a little unforgiving and they never let things go so I think I found the right group of friends right here.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #163 on: December 05, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »
It's even better when you're friends with a fellow writer...One of my roommates last semester was writing a book. Now she sends it to me, and I give her feedback--extensive--and I send her my chapters as I complete them, and she gives me feedback....It's a sweet little system we've got going.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #164 on: December 05, 2008, 01:09:44 AM »
When I say I have friends I trust to give me decent feedback, those are usually friends who are also writers. I trust them to do that because we all want the same thing.

Writer friends are the best.