Author Topic: Your Background  (Read 72975 times)

Karl

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
Re: Your Background
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2008, 06:54:34 PM »
Perhaps the Hornblower films were an attempt to cash in on the popularity of Napoleonic war/romance stories like the Sharpe films. But Hornblower author C.F. Forester was quite dead long before Bernard Cornwall started the Sharpe novels.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2008, 08:25:02 PM »
Hey, My name is Spencer, and I'm in utah currently. (spencer or spejoku, whatever)

I started wanting to make webcomics, but then I realized that those take a lot of work, my writing stank, and I wasnt all that good at drawing.  I've had at least five different prospective webcomic series going through my head at one point or another, then decided that I'd just write one without drawing it.  it didn't stink too bad. 

Right now I'm doing NaNoWriMo and reading the WoT series at the same time (I can tell it's rubbing off on me), but I also have a less sophisticated and more fun YA story going on with a class.  I like stories with nonhuman characters and how they react with regular people; I've been able to see that theme kind of repeated in almost everything I write. 

Anyway, deadlines and a writing group are just what I think I need to get my stories done.  :D
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

WEKM

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2008, 04:27:59 AM »
Great, I get to be the old man of the group. I will be 40 in January.

Hi! My on-line name is WEKM, my RL name is Jon.
Despite what others have said, I am NOT a radio station. WEKM is short for Wide Eyed Krupp Monster. I got the nickname in BoyScouts. It later got shortened to WEKM in the Marine Corps.
If anyone asks, the stickers all over the world that say "WEKM was here"; it wasn't me. No, seriously, these are not the droids you're looking for...

I have been writing since I started Jr. High. Everything from poetry to Sci Fi to epic fantasy, even wrote some DnD adventures back in school. I was always tasked as the one to write up new character background for new guys. In High School, I even helped write an all original play that we tried out in drama class. I still have a destroy on site order for any of the surviving videotapes. I'm sure someone is hiding at least two copies, which is why I can never run for public office.

I am working on several projects at once, but my biggest push was triggered by my desire to enter the writing contest at the local Con that will be coming up next year. This is a first for me.
As well, This story is not one that I have been working on for an extended period of time, but developed fresh for the contest. I may also toss in a short story on the 15th to be chewed up, as I am trying to decide whether to throw that in the short story contest as well, and if I do, it most likely needs to be picked apart and put back together as well.

I was one of the most vocal about starting this writing group, as I have an unstable schedule and an on-line group such as this will allow me the freedom to be able to participate much more than an in person one would.

I too live here in Utah and have had the pleasure to become friends with Howard, and to meet Dan and Brandon.  I have not as yet wormed my way into the two of their lives yet, but I am planning on it in the future, as part of my plot to take over the world. :o

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2008, 06:06:36 AM »
Welcome, WEKM, glad you could tune in! Oh, and welcome to this end of the age curve. But sadly, you don't get to be THE old man of the bunch, yung'en! I've still got you beat by a couple.

I am, of course, intensely jealous that you get to know the Honorable Trio since they seem to have an averson to the midwest. Howard made it to Indianapolis last July but it was on the same day as my dad's 80th birthday so I was with my family.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2008, 06:14:20 AM »
Welcome, WEKM, glad you could tune in! Oh, and welcome to this end of the age curve. But sadly, you don't get to be THE old man of the bunch, yung'en! I've still got you beat by a couple.

I am, of course, intensely jealous that you get to know the Honorable Trio since they seem to have an averson to the midwest. Howard made it to Indianapolis last July but it was on the same day as my dad's 80th birthday so I was with my family.

lol

As long as we don't start calling them the trinity...
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

WEKM

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2008, 06:53:11 AM »
No, that would be silly of course. There can only be one trinity, and I would hate to see Howard in a black leather cat-suit. Ewwwwwww!

Yea! I do not have to fill the roll of resident old fart, I get to pass that on to Karl.  ;D

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2008, 07:20:37 AM »
I'm curious to know who is the youngest in the group. Since no one in their bios said they were in High School... I think that means that honor is turned to me, since I'm just a college freshman in his first semester. I just recently turned 18 on October 30th, too. So, I'm fairly certain that makes me the youngest.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

WEKM

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2008, 07:59:56 AM »
Well, I won't risk your wrath as a Mod by calling you a N00B then.  ;)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »
Actually, if I do noobish stuff, I expect everyone to get on my case ;P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2008, 08:14:17 AM »
Darn straight!

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2008, 09:08:09 AM »
You think we'd let you slip just because of a little thing like modship? The scriptures of His-Lordship-Who-Enjoys-Pants-and-the-Baconier-Parts-of-a-Pig state that all noobs and newbs alike shall be ridiculed and laughed at, and made to relive their shame for their many years to come.

As for the trinity... that'd be implying that his aforementioned lordship was equal to the others...

~AvalonDreamer,
 Fellfroschian High Priest
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Hayley

• Level 6
  • Things are meant to be the way they're gonna be
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2008, 12:00:53 AM »
Hey, all.

I'm a 22 year old final year student from North West England. Studying International Tourism Management, I've drafted a few things in the past, but never really got....

Dare I say....

Never really got anything finished. So this'll be a challenge, definitely :)

But yeah, I'm Hayley, Hayz, Hayzie.... it varies depending on who you talk to.

Don't know what else to say, but if there's anything you'd like to know, just ask.

"The rats on the street
They dance around my feet
They seem to say" Hayley "It's up to yooooou!"

Duel! All the cool kids are doing it!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2008, 12:07:50 AM »
Sweet.  I could be wrong (and feel free to smack me, one and all if I am) but I believe you're are first international group member, so congrats!
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2008, 12:12:26 AM »
Well, I'm from Canada, so perhaps the second. :P

Hmm. Maybe we should add a special rule, just for Hayley. Not allowed to rewrite your first chapter until you've submitted the second. Not allowed to rewrite the second until you've finished the third. And so on. ;)

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2008, 12:16:07 AM »
And may I be the first to say that you will most likely be worshiped here. I'm going to guess that at least half of the members of any writing group are anglophiles.

Also, British people are hot. Will you marry me? 
:-*
:-* :-*
 :-* :-* :-*
:-* :-* :-* :-*
:-* :-* :-* :-* :-*
(That is my tower of love.)
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie