Author Topic: The Rules Of Reading Excuses  (Read 11554 times)

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
Re: The Rules Of Reading Excuses
« Reply #90 on: March 23, 2009, 02:45:25 PM »
Ye Gods, I just had a gander at the folder I save all the received but not yet read submissions to, seeing as I'll want to start catching up on all that I've missed sometime this weekend, and I met a truly horrifying (exaggeration) sight: lots and lots of documents with creative yet unhelpful titles such as "Chapter 1", "Chapter Thirteen" or even "Stuff I plan to delete" (I'm reading that one first ;D ).

Now I do realise it's essentially my fault for not giving them proper names when I initially saved them, but I'm inherently lazy so I prefer having someone else do my work - which is why I'm posting this, hoping that at least some of you will show some pity and make their filenames a tad more distinguishable in future. ;)

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 23, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »
I'm confused - why not leave submissions in your email client until you're ready to read them? Shoot, you could even set up a filter to sort email from group members into its own folder - then your computer would do all the work for you! I know that takes some setup effort, but being lazy is hard work sometimes.  ;D

Not that I'm against helpful filenames, I just figure the problem could also be solved by storing the documents in their original context, and that would be more effective than trying to get others to change their file management habits.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 23, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »
Now don't you go and bring logic into this, that's just not fair. :'(

Usually it's not a problem anyway, because I read the stuff and then sort it properly, I just felt like sharing my surprise when I first opened that folder after weeks of merely copying files into it without actually opening it. ;)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 23, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
My bad Flo. I didn't really consider that someone might have downloaded it and then be trying to sort everything through weeks later :(
I'll do my best to add in the book title in future submissions.
Might I suggest a word search to help identify exactly who submitted? Probably the main character's name would be enough. I understand that would be a lot of searches for all the files you've got archived but its easier than reading them through one by one and trying to keep it all in your head :P

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:31:28 PM by Reaves »
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2009, 07:08:54 AM »
Or your RE handle, so people who haven't read any of your work will still know who it is.

Or whatever.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2009, 09:30:07 PM »
I've had the same difficulty as Flo with the organization of RE files. It wasn't a huge deal with me, because when I did my mass downloading of every Reading Excuses submission, I made a separate folder for each RE member and just copied the files into the correct folder. But, I'm certainly not opposed to having your RE handle in the file name of the submission. That would probably make things easier.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.