Author Topic: The Rules Of Reading Excuses  (Read 11552 times)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
The Rules Of Reading Excuses
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:56:19 AM »
I just threw this together from what seemed to be the general consensus on the other thread, so tell me if there's anything I'm missing (or that you passionately disagree with) and I'll edit.

Deadlines: Sorry, you can't just submit whenever you feel like it. Instead, we'll hand you a submission deadline. If you don't make the submission deadline, we'll laugh at you. If you're late, we may not be able to read and critique it in a timely fashion.

Currently RE is experimenting with a new way of doing submissions. Instead of monthly submissions, we will have submission "applications". Submission dates will be Monday of any week. If you want to submit, you will apply by posting in the e-mail linked thread below by Saturday of the previous week. Chaos and I will choose who gets to submit based on who hasn't had critiques recently. There are few enough of us right now that all of those who want to will probably be able to submit, but pay attention to the Email/Submissions thread just in case.

Formatting: Do NOT post your submission to this forum. Instead, send your submission to everybody (just once, please!) on the Reading Excuses email list (available here). Attachments should be .doc, .rtf, or .pdf files (not .docx, not everyone can read those!); please use 1.5 or double spacing and a legible font. Courier and Times New Roman are manuscript standard.

After emailing, start a thread here on the Reading Excuses forum. Title the thread "date of submission - piece title - chapter number (if applicable)". You don't need to say much, it just gives us a place to go at it, and eliminates the possibility of three people starting the same thread at once. You'll start a new thread per each story or chapter so that threads don't get too huuuuuuge.

Length: We have come to a very democratic, very arbitrary decision that around 3500 words is a reasonable maximum per submission. This is a ballpark - if you want to submit a complete story or chapter that runs above this, go for it. But If you give us 50 pages to read all at once, we will whine. And throw stuff. And we might not read it all.

Genre: We're not putting any restrictions on genre (for now).  We'll still read literary fiction. You should bear in mind, though, that most of us are speculative fiction writers, getting together to critique mostly speculative fiction-y stuff. That doesn't mean we're not discerning readers, but if you're doing something wildly different you should probably take some of our comments with a grain of salt. (Well, an extra grain of salt.)

Content: We don't want to restrict content either. We do ask that when you email us a submission, you label it for Language, Drug Use, Violence,  or Sexual Content if necessary.

Ettiquette: Be fair (not nice). Don't be nasty, but do say what you think. And don't apologize every time you offer a criticism.

Say what's working exceptionally well as well as what isn't working at all.  If something isn't working, tell us why. Sometimes it's best to let the author figure out what to do. Sometimes specific suggestions help, but don't try to write someone's story for them.

Don't spend too much time critiquing grammar, punctuation, etcetera (unless the author asks for it for some reason). Focus on the big things.

You get what you give. If you skimp on critiquing our stuff, we'll skimp on yours. (We we realize that not everyone will be able to critique everybody's submission every time. That's fine. We do think it's reasonable for everyone to critique at least one manuscript for everyone they submit. Beyond that, do your level best to give as many critiques as you can without killing yourself over it.)

Defending your work against people's criticisms is generally not useful. Asking pointed questions is perfectly fine.

Finally, do NOT share someone else's story with anyone outside the group, unless you have their express permission to do so.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 07:37:22 AM by SilknSnow »

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Re: How To Submit to Reading Excuses
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 11:18:33 AM »
Bravo. Mod worthy post, that was. Someone should talk to Sprig about getting you promoted.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »
You should rename the topic to "The Rules of Reading Excuses" to pay homage to a certain bonus episode of a certain podcast... :P

Someone should really talk to Sprig about getting a separate moderator for this forum--someone who will check on it almost every day. Mostly, he or she should just pin topics, I think, since once submissions get going, we don't want this Rule topic and the Email List topic to vanish.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 07:43:18 PM »
Haha. Nah, I just threw together a bunch of the things we'd been saying in the other thread anyway...

Chaos - you've one heckuva memory, man. I think it took me about five minutes to figure out what you were talking about. That episode was posted months ago, and there are days when I'm incapable of remembering my own name.

*cough* Just kidding on that last part. Really.

But yeah, I was thinking the same thing, if someone could pin those two threads that'd be helpful.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: The Rules Of Reading Excuses
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
I probably should have just said "to pay homage to Writing Excuses Bonus Episode 1", which would have been more unambiguous, but much less fanciful! Alas! What am I to do? :P

Also, I bought the Writing Excuses CD and have listened to them all again, so I may be in a slightly more advantageous position to remember which one is which.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 08:29:30 PM »
As I said, Raethe would be the best one I could think of for a moderator for the board, but Chaos has been around longer, I think. From what I can tell, they tend to go with mods that are higher post-count. Hopefully we'll get someone, though, 'cause I'm sure Fell is a bit too busy to moderate this board.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 08:57:45 PM »
Yeah, they probably don't really wanna make someone with under 20 posts a mod...

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 09:41:50 PM »
You could start a thread called "My posts" and just post the crap out of it... Though I think that's cheating.

*Evil grin*

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:46:52 PM »
Actually, that's called spamming :P It's not highly smiled upon, though.

I'm going to PM Sprigg or Fell after my Japanese class and see what he (or they) think about getting another moderator in this forum. If they don't... well, at the very least they can pin this topic and the Email List topic. That should do for now, at least.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:48:41 PM »
PM'd Fell a bit ago, actually.

*Evil grin*

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »
Oh, right on. That's better, actually, because I need to do some revisions on an essay I have due in five hours.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 09:32:46 AM »
Haha. If I went around spamming threads they REALLY wouldn't promote me.

(Heck, if I caught someone doing that on the forums I mod, I'd block their sorry posterior. Politely, of course.)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 06:36:45 AM »
I'm not against making someone a mod of just this forum, I'll have to talk with the other admins to get it approved but I'm sure no one will object.  It's not like Fell or I will ever check this forum.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2008, 07:03:44 AM »
Yes, that was the general rationale behind the desire for a mod. Thanks, Spriggan.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 07:07:28 AM »
ROFL. It wasn't long before Sprig posted that, that I PM'd Fell on the subject, lol.

What do you guys say, poll thread to elect the mod democratically? Nominations could be posted here.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 07:13:45 AM by AvalonCreamCorn »

*Evil grin*