Author Topic: Email List + Submission Dates  (Read 219693 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Email List + Submission Dates
« Reply #270 on: December 14, 2008, 08:04:57 PM »
Silk--Are you referring to The Phantom Menace as the Star Wars you saw in theatre the first time? Because I'm positive you're not old enough to have seen the Original Trilogy in theatre the first time (New Hope--1977, Empire Strikes Back--1980, Return of the Jedi--1983).

You didn't like the original? Sad. I think the Original Trilogy is by far the best. Phantom Menace is okay. Attack of the Clones? Meh. Revenge of the Sith? Story is okay, acting (Hayden in particular) was terrible  :(  Original Trilogy=love. Empire Strikes Back=more love.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #271 on: December 14, 2008, 08:08:43 PM »
I don't really remember, but - I seem to recall there being the original trilogy, and then later there was a remake of the same three Star Wars movies - yes? Or am I off on this one? Because it seems to me that the latter was what I saw in theatres.

I could be totally out to lunch on this one. I don't know.

And I think maybe I didn't like the original trilogy when I saw it because aside from the fact that I've always been skeptical of movies and television shows, I was young and the other Star Wars seemed flashier. ::)

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #272 on: December 14, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
The Original Trilogy is composed of Episodes IV, V, and VI. They came out first, in the years I referenced before--1977-1983. The newer trilogy is composed of Episodes I, II, and III. This trilogy is flashier. George Lucas wanted better special effects for the first 3, so he saved them for later instead of making them around the time of the other 3.

So the newer ones aren't remakes, they're just a continuation of the same story (or rather, a prequel to the older story).

And I agree, the special effects of I-III are pretty sweet. But the story of IV-VI is so much better, not to mention the dialogue. You want to hear lame dialogue, go turn on Attack of the Clones and find a scene with Hayden and Natalie alone....Pathetic. Han and Leia had dialogue that was SO much  better.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #273 on: December 14, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
Oh, I can't stand I-III. Insipid garbage.

I'm pretty sure that there was also a remake of IV, V, and VI. I also remember seeing one of those behind-the-scenes videos on the differences between the two, and the technology that was used in the remakes.

Edit: Or maybe there wasn't, I don't know. I can't seem to find anything on it. Anyway, I didn't see I or II in theatres, and I'm still not sure why I went to see III...

I guess I saw the trilogy when it re-aired, then.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:34:58 PM by SilknSnow »

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #274 on: December 15, 2008, 01:22:51 AM »
Oh, I know what you're talking about now. No, it wasn't remakes of them, but there are special edition ones for them. I can't remember everything that they fixed between the older and the special editions.

I actually really liked III. Not as much as the Originals, but it's probably my favorite out of the first ones. Of course, I don't think I've seen it since I watched it in theatres, and I watched it at the midnight showing, so maybe I liked it so much because I was so tired....Or maybe it was the people I was watching it with...I don't know.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2008, 06:37:58 AM »
*ahem* Okay, children, allow me to clarify...

I saw Star Wars in its original Han-Shot-First theatrical release in 1977.  Same with Empire in 1980 abd Jedi in 1983.

Push comes to shove, I say Bedknobs and Broomsticks in its orignal theatrical relase. So ponder that!
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2008, 07:05:05 AM »
Oh, I knew what you meant when I said that...I was just being a brat. :P Bratiness aside, though. Wow. I kind of wish I'd been able to see all three of those in the original release...if only there was a time machine (although I don't think I would use it to go back and watch those movies if there were. I would hope I'd find something better to use it for...).

And Bedknobs and Broomsticks? Really? Interesting. I had to go check on imdb to see when that released. 1971....It's been so long since I've seen that movie. I think I'm gonna go search through all our VHS's sometime this week and find it. It could be a long search... ::)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
Okay, I get it. I must have seen the special edition somewhere, or something, and then seen Star Wars when it re-aired in theatres before the prequels came out... Or something?

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2008, 09:42:04 AM »
They also remasterred the original trilogy, you might have seen that.

So then the real question is; did Han Solo shoot first?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2008, 10:05:09 AM »
That's it! That's what I saw! Mystery solved!

Now I want to go watch Star Wars again...

Haha. Well, I've obviously proved that I know pretty much nothing about Star Wars. So, I dunno: did Han Solo shoot first?

Manyang

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2008, 10:27:54 AM »
In the original he did shoot first, in the remasterred edition they had the other guy (can't remember his name right now) shoot aswell.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2008, 11:35:20 AM »
Han shot first, end of discussion. Claiming that Greedo so much as had a twitch in his trigger finger is heresy. Heresy, I say! >:(

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »
Yes, Han shot first.

And strange as it sounds, I miss the original Deathstar explosion. The donut they changed it to in the remaster is actually less believable than the original. At least to me. Anf for nearly 20 years that was the way the explosion looked. Then some guy with pretensions of greatness thought he could do better than his younger self...
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2008, 07:04:52 PM »
Wow. Apparently I haven't watched the remastered ones very often. I don't think we have a copy of those in my house, because I didn't know there even was an argument about whether Han shot first. In the version I always see, Greedo didn't stand a chance....

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2008, 09:31:24 PM »
In the remastered ones they shoot simultaneously, with Greedo's shot straying so far from its target that he probably wouldn't even have managed to graduate from stormtrooper academy. They also added that horrible scene with Han and Jabba in front of the Falcon, and did various silly things like change the colour of Luke's lightsabre.