Author Topic: Stuck, right at the gate.  (Read 1987 times)

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
Stuck, right at the gate.
« on: November 11, 2008, 07:12:11 AM »
I have a few different story ideas flitting around in my head, and I've taken shots at starting each one, but I get stuck at the same place: the opening.

Before I even write a book, I sit down for a week or two and mill my characters and my plot around in my head until I've got something. Then I sit down and do that "expand the idea" thing where you write a sentence, then a paragraph, until you have a detailed outline. My friends usually look it over and tell me what they think. Up to that point - it's all fine and awesome.

One I sit down and try to write the beginning though, I start having issues. I don't know how to set up where my characters start, how to pace their introduction, or how soon to throw in the plot-catalyst. I've tried getting ideas from other writers to gauge these, but it all varies a lot.

I'd love some advice!  ;D
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: Stuck, right at the gate.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 08:33:10 AM »
Well you can always go to www.writingexcuses.com, they give great advice.
(shamless plug done)

The one that works for me is action.  Start in the middle and work your way out from there.  If your just having trouble getting started, period.  i.e. Chapter one--then start on chap 3 or 2 or whatever--that way its not staring you right in the face, that blank page.  Also keep in mind that what you write when you first start is just the first draft, and that you might decide to throw out the first 3 chapters after your done.

Well hope it helps and good luck!
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Hamster

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »
I think that a good way to start is with action. 

You may not even have to introduce your main characters right away, introduce secondary ones at first, maybe alluding to the other characters,with a nice action scene in the first chapter to draw in the reader. Then add in your main characters in the upcoming chapters in reaction to the first chapter. That way you can introduce some characters at the beginning, and introduce the world and plot without getting overwhelmed trying to fit in everything.  What I found helpful was to get one really good scene in my head, write that, even if it sucks, and then go on from there. Try not to over analyze everything, try to write from point A to point B without worrying about point C or anything, you can always go back and edit to make it more smooth, but in the beginning, just write.

Anyhow, that's just my 2 cents, good luck with your writing!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:12:30 PM »
Like the others have suggested, I also recommend starting with an action scene.

My habit is to write a pivotal scene, like a fight or dialoge that is integral to the story. I don't try to get it perfect (it's always changed later anyway when the rest of the story is written), but getting it down is the first step. Writing a pivotal scene a great jumping point, and then you write the stuff in between (which is always the hardest part, and easy to get bogged down, unless you have a scene written that you are trying to get to). In fact, before I really start a novel, I usually write about five of the pivotal scenes (they are usually dialogue or action based) that occur in various parts of the story as a means to give me motivation to write from one scene to the next. That's just my method, though, and it works for me. You need to find something that works for you and it takes practice. Good luck.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 07:21:35 AM »
I'm gonna second most everything said here.
I really like that idea of writing down some pivotal scenes so that you have motivation to write til you get there. I should try that.
  Anyhow,  in the WritingExcuses podcast about beginning your story, I think I recall them suggesting that, rather than trying to get your opening line down perfect, just getting a line down so you can get the story going, and then later on go back and make it perfect.
   I believe that applies to more than just the first line. Just get the first few chapters down, not worrying to make them perfect right away, but just so that you can get the story going. You can make those chapters better when you go through to edit it.
   In the story I'm writing right now, the chapter's that introduce two of the main characters are horribly done. However, at the point in the story I'm at now, those character are much more developed, and I feel that I could go back and really improve those first chapters, now that I've come to better understand those characters.
   That's what works for me.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
I agree. Also, writing a prologue or first chapter that contains a key element to the rest of the story can be helpful–the death of someone, an important object stolen, something discovered, etc. It helps set up your plot, and provides openings to introduce your characters.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »
I wrote a few scenes ahead of time, and it didn't really work for me. I'm what they call a discovery writer, which for me means I don't have an outline. I know my basic plot but I generally don't know what scene is going to happen next. So in the scene I wrote, a character died and really important stuff happened...and I'm throwing it out. The villian that ended up dying is actually going to live, and the important stuff is going to wait.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »
OK, I hear you. Everyone has their own style.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.