Author Topic: Ideas for a name  (Read 3823 times)

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Ideas for a name
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:18:44 PM »
In the sci-fi novel I'm writing, there is a special group of dragon-riding warriors. I'm trying to come up with a good name for them, but I'm having a bit of a hard time with it.  Right now, I'm going with Dragoon, but I feel it is a bit overused. I've also considered Myrmidons, but I'm not sure.
If anyone has any good ideas, I would really appreciate it. Also, the setting is in the distant future, and the group of dragon-riders is a sort of special forces. With that in mind, I've considered having the name of the group have a longer name, with several words in it, but when you take just the first letters of the words, it spells something cool that they go by. (for example, S.H.I.E.L.D., from the Marvel universe)
   Anyhow, I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a name
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 10:27:52 PM »
Dragon FLOC (Flight Officer Corps)

I dunno. Any other details you can give us to help make it more specific? Like do they call them dragons or something else? Are they officers? Are they military per se? Do they speak a language other than English?
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:43:05 AM »
Okay, more details. . .
This is supposed to take place in our galaxy, but about 1500 years in the future. The setting is a planet, Pathros, on which one will find dragons. Now, the dragons that the dragon-riders ride are the classic dragon type, but the other species of dragon on Pathros are not. All native creatures of Pathros are considered dragons, because they all have some trait about them related to the elements. For some, it is the fire breathing, or the gas breathing, and so on, but for most, it is different. For example, one species of 'dragon' I've put into the story is the pathrosic constrictor, a massive snake-like creature, whose very body emanates frost, leaving a trail of frozen ground behind it as it slithers along, or freezing its prey as it coils around them. Even the plantlife on Pathros has similar qualities, like the hearthoaks, deciduous trees whose pod-like seeds erupt in fire if touched. So, the 'dragons' could be anywhere from small, electrically charged rodents, to massive beasts with fire running down their backs.
   For dragon riders, however, the species they ride look just like the dragons we generally think of today.
   Now, the function of the dragon riders is tied to the way the government of Pathros is set up. The planet would appear to be ruled by several city-state-like Houses. The Ruling Houses, however, are not actually governments, but businesses. Pathros is, in reality, governed by an Empire that is based on an entirely different planet. The only reason anyone is on Pathros is to harvest Aiex, an extremely valuable chemical which is a large part of the story. So, any city on Pathros is only there to house those who harvest the Aiex. With that in mind, all cities are owned by the numerous businesses, or Houses, who run Pathros.  I hope that made sense.
    Each House has their own force of dragon-riders. some houses have as few as a dozen, while the largest of them has around 150. Officially, they are merely a police force. However, they are secretly used in the constant war going on between the Houses. Everyone is perfectly aware of how the dragon riders are used, but everyone pretends otherwise.
    Another important note is that the dragon-riders are among the few whose bodies can survive an injection of aiex, which will greatly increase their capabilities. This, and the fact that they ride around on the backs of dragons, make them the greatest warriors in the galaxy.
    I hope thats enough info to get some ideas, and I hope that I presented it in a comprehensible way. Looking back through this post, it seems to be a bit jumbled.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 04:45:52 AM »
What about Aiex Riders; pronounced as Axe though.  Adding house affiliations to the group in question as needed.
Or just use The Aiex Men, something to do with Aiex/Axe.  Riders, Gallopers, Chargers, Collectors, ect...
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:36:44 AM »
From what you're talking about, it sounds like the story is in our universe, just in the future, correct? If so you have massive opportunities if you use the names of military groups from history, such as myrmidons (or dragoons, don't know quite as much about them. Cavalry?) It would just be too much to not correlate your myrmidons to those of Achilles. Quote the Illiad. Go all out.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 01:39:56 AM »
Yes, it is our universe, just way in the future.
I like the idea of naming them after a real, historical military groups. Does anybody have a good reference to get some info on various historic military groups?

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 08:18:45 AM »
D.R.A.C. - Dragon-Riding Air Cavalry.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

filoph94

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 01:02:06 AM »
Well,if youwant to go into historical names,there are the Roughriders. Also, valkyries is agood one.(I think that is how it is spelled). corsairs, harpys...thats allI have right now

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 02:16:28 AM »
FYI thread necromancy is 'no'
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

filoph94

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:26:25 AM »
Thread necromancy?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:36:09 AM »
Bringing up threads in which the most recent post was several months prior. The last post in this thread, before yours, was over a year ago, in November of '08. Such threads are considered dead, and bringing them back is frowned upon.
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 04:21:14 PM »
It's mostly an issue for threads that are long dead and irrelevant. It shows up on my 'unread posts' and forces me to read old stuff and that makes me cranky.

filoph94

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »
Oh, Im sorry. Ill make sure to take that into account.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 11:06:04 PM »
umm pardon the off beat suggestions but:
Weyr-macht?
Serif? << hebrew for "dragon"
R.D.C. (Royal Dragon Corps)/ DraC (Dragon Corps)

<shrug>
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 01:56:08 AM »
Dude. Thread necromancy is STILL 'no'.