Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136299 times)

melbatoast

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #390 on: April 02, 2009, 01:44:49 AM »
If a Warder's Aes Sedai dies, he goes crazy and tries to kill himself. She did it to keep Lan alive, although it was a pretty crazy thing to do.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: April 02, 2009, 02:52:16 AM »
You might as well mention that Myrelle has a history of keeping Warders alive as well when their former Aes Sedai die.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 02, 2009, 07:15:38 AM »
Moiraine passed her bond and laid a contingent compulsion on it because she knew Lan would be affected by Broken-Warder-Bond Syndrome.  She passed it to Myrelle because Myrelle has a track record of dealing with said Syndrome successfully.  Very few Aes Sedai have anything to do with Warders whose bonds are broken, and even fewer have any success at all at curing the suicidal depression and desire for revenge that a broken bond causes.  Myrelle has succeeded at curing at least four broken-bond Warders.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 02, 2009, 01:50:13 PM »
You really begin to notice a pattern of the Aes Sedai "hands off things too difficult to deal with" after awhile. They don't deal with broken bonds, with burning out/severing, with *angrel's that seem too dangerous or unknown. It's really no wonder they have gotten so stagnant.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »
Also, dont forget that Moiraine was the guiding force for Lan's battle with the shadow. Moiraine felt that without her guiding hand Lan would just go off and die in some useless scuffle with some minions of the shadow. She knows that he is worth far more than another fallen soldier in the battle against the DO.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #395 on: April 02, 2009, 07:16:12 PM »
Of course Myrelle's brand of healing is maybe more mind rape than intervention... These Aes Sedai... Almost makes one want to grab a copy of The Way of the Light and head for Amadicia...

It is a good question though, why Myrelle and not someone closer to hand.  Moiraine's accepted "trick" was crystal scrying she'd have been able to locate someone close enough to limit the risk that Lan "accidentally" get himself killed traveling cross country.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 02, 2009, 07:46:05 PM »
Anyways it was just a way to keep him from running off so that Nyneave can have his bond when she earned the shall...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 02, 2009, 08:35:45 PM »
Anyways it was just a way to keep him from running off so that Nyneave can have his bond when she earned the shall...

Has Joe gotten there yet??!! Remember he has not yet read the entire series. Let him finish the book before you begin talking about events that happen in it, you don't know where he is!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 02, 2009, 09:32:19 PM »
Has Joe gotten there yet??!! Remember he has not yet read the entire series. Let him finish the book before you begin talking about events that happen in it, you don't know where he is!

I remember a Moraine POV where she reflects on how Lan gave his heart to Nynave and how she had "seen that she would have him when Moraine was gone" or some such as that. so not really a spoiler there :-)

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #399 on: April 02, 2009, 09:35:15 PM »
Probably not technically a spoiler, but everyone remember to keep it spoiler-free for Joe so he can enjoy his first WOT read-through. And the rest of us can enjoy it vicariously.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

ulkesh

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2009, 10:22:59 AM »
Okay, I have to go to Barnes & Noble to pick up my copy of Crown of Swords. I don't know if I will take a break between CoS and Path of Daggers or not. Patrick Rothfuss' new Kingkiller book comes out this month and I've been waiting for that for a while. Or I could put it on hold until I finish WOT.

You don't really have a problem here, because Kingkiller Day2 does not come out this month. Pat told us about this. Keep on reading WoT! I'm starting a reread next year to be fresh for the final 2 books  :D

palin

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 05, 2009, 08:29:29 AM »
Well, you guys sold me. I checked your comments on a computer at my work ( the Apple store in Boston) and I figured when I leave I'll hit the Barnes & Noble on the way home and grab Eye of the World. Managed two chapters on the way home and yes it is right up my alley so far. The style of writing isn't bad at all I think. A lot of people don't like over-descriptive books but I happen to be a massive Stephen King fan so I'm used to endless paragraphs of description. I truly appreciate your answers guys and I definitely look forward to being part of the WOT world and joining your discussions. Thanks again.
-Joe

g'day mate; I think it was 2years ago a friend at work was totally obsessed with WOT and got me into after a couple of months of badgering about how good it is and why i should be reading it instead of the book i was reading at the time. It wasn't until i finished that book at the time and i was about to go on leave for a minor back operation he lent me his copy of the 1st book, from there i was hooked and went brought the series because i didn't want to wait until i saw my friend again to read the rest.

I think you just sold me,

I originally came to these forums to get more information on 'Mr Sanderson' and his writings, Since he is going to be completing the last installments of this amazing series. I have been contemplating reading Mistborn since it's going to be quite some time before 'Brandon' can complete AMoL. (Have decided to do so). A couple of days ago I went out in search of this trilogy and none of my local book stores have it  :( and won't until the end of next week(I live in Melbourne). So i went onto eBay and was able to secure myself a copy.  So now i'm sitting here wondering what i can do to pass the time between now and when the books arrive. I came back to these forums and had a better look around and came across this thread after reading the 1st 7 pages of this thread you all have gotten me really excited about this series again and, yes you guys have 'sold me' I'm going to re-read these books again.

PS.Just my 2cents favorite characters for me were/are mat & perrin.  Then Moiraine towards the end.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 06, 2009, 02:21:53 AM »
Okay, I have to go to Barnes & Noble to pick up my copy of Crown of Swords. I don't know if I will take a break between CoS and Path of Daggers or not. Patrick Rothfuss' new Kingkiller book comes out this month and I've been waiting for that for a while. Or I could put it on hold until I finish WOT.

You don't really have a problem here, because Kingkiller Day2 does not come out this month. Pat told us about this. Keep on reading WoT! I'm starting a reread next year to be fresh for the final 2 books  :D

That's really unfortunate because I was very much looking forward to the next book. Funny thing though.... I met Pat at a book signing in Cambridge, MA in November (i think) of 2007. Very nice guy, but I do remember him telling me, from his OWN mouth, that the second Kingkiller book was coming out in April of '09. I jokingly complained that I didn't want to wait and we had a few laughs. So, I don't know why he is saying Amazon had it wrong with the release date, because he confirmed it to me in person. Oh well, I understand writers are busy guys. BTW, I'm 200 pages into CoS and I should have an update in a few days. Things are good, but they haven't taken off just yet.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #403 on: April 06, 2009, 02:50:37 AM »
Amazon had the year set to 2025....
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 06, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
Amazon had the year set to 2025....

I'm pretty sure that was done recently as a jab at Pat. I've been checking that status for over a year and it always said April of 2009.