Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136300 times)

douglas

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #225 on: February 13, 2009, 05:33:15 PM »
One thing Douglas' summary left out was the reason why Aiel do not use swords.  The original group tried to get around the Way by using farming tools instead of swords as weapons.
Yeah, I think it was in Lewin's scene.  After killing the kidnappers with wild surprise attacks swinging pots and such, someone with Lewin goes to take the bandits' weapons.  When he goes to pick up a sword, Lewin scolds him and says that swords can only be used for killing people while spears can be used for hunting.  Thus, swords are anathema but spears are fine.

The Jenn take a dim view of this distinction, of course, but it's one of the few remnants of the Way of the Leaf that remained with the Aiel.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #226 on: February 14, 2009, 02:41:59 AM »
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, JoeC. This is a fun thread.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

mtbikemom

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 17, 2009, 08:48:44 PM »
Lanfear:
She is incredibly beautiful and graceful. She has pale, smooth skin, long, black hair and eyes dark as night. She dresses in white with silver jewelry. (TGH,Ch48) She is tall and slender with dark eyes and shoulder-length black hair.

Moghedien:
She is sturdily handsome with shoulder-length hair worn loose. She has large, dark eyes and smooth cheeks. (TSR,Ch46)
As Gyldin she is sturdily handsome and dark-braided. (TSR,Ch38)

(How about one more for good measure.)
Graendal:
She is beautiful but somewhat fleshy with elaborately curled red-gold hair. (LoC,Prologue)

From Encyclopedia-wot

I always picture Berelain as a blonde, but all of RJ's most beautiful characters, with the exception of Elayne, are described as dark-haired.  And Elayne's is red-gold.  I can't think of any true blondes in the whole book, but there must be some. 

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:46 PM »
Birgitte and Liandrin are true blondes.  Chiad I thought was but I guess it's strawberry-blonde.  The Aiel and some people from Tanchico can be blonde.  I usually picture the "red gold" people like Elayne as blondes since there are so few of them.  It's really quite tragic.  (As a blonde myself I notice things like this...) :)

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 17, 2009, 10:57:02 PM »
Hey guys. I'm about 150 pages into Fires of Heaven and this one is turning out to be a great sequel to TSR. Let's see.....

- Prologue was good, but the meeting of the remaining Forsaken at the end was SUPER cool.

-Siuan, Min, Leane, and Logain managed to escape the trouble for accidentally burning down that barn. Not sure exactly where their story is going but it's still interesting to see how Siuan and Leane live without the Power.

-Most of the book so far has been about Rand. He lives in Rhuiden under close protection from the Maidens. The scene where he fights the Darkhounds that attacked him and Mat was GREAT. Very creepy at first too. Now, the scene I've finally been waiting for happened! In my last post I complained that Rand shouldn't shun Moiraine as much as he does. After he kills the Darkhounds they come to an understanding. They both apologize to eachother and promise to be more forthcoming. So happy this scene happened, as it will benefit Rand very much.

-Moiraine explains balefire to Rand. How it doesn't actually obliterate, but erases from time whatever it hits. Depending on how powerful the wielder is, the amount of time you actually erase the subject from changes. Erase too much, and other events linked to the victim are subject to change. Even the Forsaken rarely used it for fear of this. AWESOME concept. I'm glad it isn't just another sonic boom or some crap like that. It's nice how RJ didn't explain EVERYTHING about all the Powers in one book, but stretches it out over the series. That keeps the excitement up because it means there's a lot more to learn.

-Mat is injured by the Darkhounds and when Moiraine tries to heal him, his foxhead medallion absorbs the Power. Very interesting. A terengal that absorbs any attempted Power use on the bearer. I could definitely see uses in this, moreover I could see why Mat keeps it around his neck. Rand tells Moiraine not to take it from Mat even though she says it has to go back to the Tower to be studied. I'm glad Mat still has it.

-Side note: Seeing how popular that sexuality thread became, I just thought I'd point out the this book makes it pretty clear that Mat slept with the maiden named Melindhra. They were both alone and naked in bed when the Darkhounds attacked them. Bad timing.

-Apparently, Couladin has gathered quite an army and is traveling across the Waste to cross the Dragonwall to attack Carhein I think. Rand immediately makes it his mission to take his army and catch up with them.

-Sadly, no Perrin yet but I'm still early in the book.

BTW, I just want to thank all you guys for your responses. Especially douglas, whose post really helped me. You must have spent a long time on it and I appreciate it!

padywhak

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 17, 2009, 11:26:26 PM »
Its great to see it all from the perspective of someone whos never read the books before.. I started on them when i was about 13 (10yrs ago now) it was upto maybe book 6 at the time, i could be wrong though and have nothing against being corrected, and have re-read them basically each time a new book has come out. While re-reading is great it doesnt have the same excitement as reading them for the first time and not knowing whats gonna happen next.

Oh and on the blonde subject I always pictured Elaida as blonde, i thought she must have been described as blonde for me to get that idea but im re-reading at the moment and think i saw it being mentioned somewhere that shes brunette. Can anyone clear that up?

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2009, 11:34:31 PM »
I thought Elaida was blonde, but I don't remember reading it anywhere specific.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2009, 11:53:30 PM »
- Prologue was good, but the meeting of the remaining Forsaken at the end was SUPER cool.
Let's see, at that point Aginor, Balthamel, Be'lal, and Ishamael are all dead and Asmodean is captive.  Lanfear, Mesaana, Graendal, Semirhage, Moghedian, Demandred, Sammael, and Rahvin remain at large.  Huh, now that I think about it it's rather interesting how the casualties are uniformly male at that point, and there are enough of them to reverse which gender holds the majority among the Forsaken.

-Siuan, Min, Leane, and Logain managed to escape the trouble for accidentally burning down that barn. Not sure exactly where their story is going but it's still interesting to see how Siuan and Leane live without the Power.
Four lonely travelers, no less than three of them stilled or gentled.  Quite a reversal for the whole lot of them, yet they still manage to make something very interesting of it.  Just wait a bit longer.

-Moiraine explains balefire to Rand. How it doesn't actually obliterate, but erases from time whatever it hits. Depending on how powerful the wielder is, the amount of time you actually erase the subject from changes. Erase too much, and other events linked to the victim are subject to change. Even the Forsaken rarely used it for fear of this. AWESOME concept. I'm glad it isn't just another sonic boom or some crap like that. It's nice how RJ didn't explain EVERYTHING about all the Powers in one book, but stretches it out over the series. That keeps the excitement up because it means there's a lot more to learn.
As I recall it is mentioned at some point that, for one year, both sides in the War of Power used balefire without restriction.  At the end of that year, both sides unilaterally stopped using it roughly simultaneously without any discussion or agreement.  Try to imagine Rand wielding Callandor and shooting the strongest beam of balefire he could straight at a city.  Now think about the chaos that would result from an entire city being retroactively annihilated for multiple days in the past.  That kind of damage on that scale is, apparently, capable of threatening the Pattern itself and potentially causing the end of the world if repeated enough times, and even the bad guys wanted the world to still exist so they could rule over it.

-Apparently, Couladin has gathered quite an army and is traveling across the Waste to cross the Dragonwall to attack Carhein I think. Rand immediately makes it his mission to take his army and catch up with them.
Four clans sought King Laman's head and no army Carhien and all its allies could field could stop them before they accomplished their goal and turned back of their own accord.  Couladin and Rand between them are now leading all twelve clans across the Dragonwall.  It's going to get messy.  Fortunately, most of them are following Rand.

BTW, I just want to thank all you guys for your responses. Especially douglas, whose post really helped me. You must have spent a long time on it and I appreciate it!
Glad to be of assistance. 8)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 18, 2009, 01:05:01 AM »
Man, every time you post Joe its like, "now that is why I loved these books." Its very refreshing to hear what someone reading them for the first time has to say. The ending of this book is amazing, btw.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2009, 01:21:47 AM »
The ending of this book is amazing, btw.
I don't know, I think I prefer the ending of the next one.  Dumai's Wells...

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 18, 2009, 01:29:43 AM »
Let's see, at that point Aginor, Balthamel, Be'lal, and Ishamael are all dead and Asmodean is captive.  Lanfear, Mesaana, Graendal, Semirhage, Moghedian, Demandred, Sammael, and Rahvin remain at large.  Huh, now that I think about it it's rather interesting how the casualties are uniformly male at that point, and there are enough of them to reverse which gender holds the majority among the Forsaken.

Hmmmmmm.....Ishamael??? Was he Ba'alzamon?? I know Rand thought he killed him at the end of Dragon Reborn but Moiraine said it wasn't him. That it was just a body, possibly one of the Forsaken. Is that who it was??

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 18, 2009, 01:40:24 AM »
Yes, that was Ishamael.  If you read the discussion among the Forsaken in The Fires of Heaven prologue closely that should be fairly obvious.

padywhak

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2009, 02:42:39 AM »
I thought Elaida was blonde, but I don't remember reading it anywhere specific.

"The tall chairback held the Flame of Tar Valon picked out in moonstones above her dark head as she sat." in the prologue of book 7. Im gonna have to look back to when rand first meets her to see if it says blonde, we must have gotten the blonde idea from somewhere

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2009, 03:08:28 AM »
Yes, that was Ishamael.  If you read the discussion among the Forsaken in The Fires of Heaven prologue closely that should be fairly obvious.

True enough! Thank you.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 19, 2009, 01:53:31 AM »
The ending of this book is amazing, btw.
I don't know, I think I prefer the ending of the next one.  Dumai's Wells...

It depends on what you like for an ending, I think Joe will have a very good question at the end of tFoH. I know I can't wait.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.