Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136569 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
No problem.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2009, 10:27:42 PM »
No biggie, JoeC. You'll get to know more of the Forsaken in the next few books. You'll notice that each has their own style---Lanfear hangs out in the World of Dreams and is psycho about Lews Therin, and Moghedien likes to hide and uses Compulsion, Ishmael thinks he's the next thing to the Dark One, etc. RJ does a great job of making a lot of unique villains. Glad you are enjoying the books so far. I'm excited to hear what you think of the ending of this book.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 08, 2009, 01:40:09 AM »
Yeah, you have to keep in mind that there are a full 13 Forsaken and several of them are female.  This is, I think, the first appearance of a female Forsaken other than Lanfear, so it's not too surprising you just assumed it was her, but keep that in mind for the future.

As for Nynaeve + Elayne vs the Black Ajah... when have those two ever been prepared for anything? ::)

Oh, did our comments help at all with your understanding of the Rhuidean history sequence?

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »

Whoops! I don't even know who that is yet. LOL  I re-read it and they actually don't mention the character by name, I just figured it was Lanfear because it was female and had superb control of the power and talked of the other Forsaken. My mistake guys!

No, I'm sorry that I spoiled something for you. I thought you mixed them up but I will be more careful in the future not to get ahead of where you are. Even those of us who have read it multiple times can't recall everything. In fact every time I re-reread the books and read message boards I learn more. It's like an onion with layer upon layer.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2009, 05:43:46 AM »
Just remember Moggy has numerous honey colored braids and Lanfear has free flowing straight black hair. That ought to help *heh*

Can't wait for you to finish this book as it was one of my personal favorites.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 09, 2009, 03:55:14 PM »
I am trying to remember exactly where you are in the book.  Have Rand and Co. been to Cold Rocks Hold yet?
On a separate note, as someone who enjoys target shooting, this book begins to show how unbelievably awesome the Two Rivers people are with bows, especially Tam Al'Thor and Abell Cauthon. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 10, 2009, 12:10:47 AM »
Oh, did our comments help at all with your understanding of the Rhuidean history sequence?
Yeah, kind of. I think I may have to go back and re-read that more carefully.

I am trying to remember exactly where you are in the book.  Have Rand and Co. been to Cold Rocks Hold yet?
On a separate note, as someone who enjoys target shooting, this book begins to show how unbelievably awesome the Two Rivers people are with bows, especially Tam Al'Thor and Abell Cauthon. 
I JUST got to Cold Rock's Hold last night. Yes Tam and Abell have certainly proven themselves against the Trollocs defending the Two Rivers. I have the feeling that there's a lot more to learn about Tam.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 10, 2009, 02:00:09 AM »
I have the feeling that there's a lot more to learn about Tam.
Yeah, like where he got that genuine Power-wrought heron mark sword he gave Rand way back in TEotW.  Not exactly a typical possession of a rural farmer.

I don't remember when Tam's history gets revealed, but I don't think it's much of a spoiler to say that he earned it.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #203 on: February 10, 2009, 02:42:09 AM »
Tam's history is still pretty vague. I heard that it might be the subject of a prequel novel, if those ever happen.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 10, 2009, 03:38:13 AM »
Quote from: JoeC on Today at 06:10:47 PM
Yeah, like where he got that genuine Power-wrought heron mark sword he gave Rand way back in TEotW.  Not exactly a typical possession of a rural farmer.
I'm pretty sure that's just happenstance…or fate…or the Creator/Pattern doing whatever. I think the man he bought it from didn't even know what it was.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 10, 2009, 06:49:19 AM »
Wasn't Tam mentioned in A NEW SPRING?

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #206 on: February 10, 2009, 04:11:55 PM »
Just remember Moggy has numerous honey colored braids and Lanfear has free flowing straight black hair. That ought to help *heh*

I'm still trying to figure out if you are A) joking, B) trying to throw them off the scent, or C) mis-remembering.
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 10, 2009, 04:50:27 PM »
Quote from: JoeC on Today at 06:10:47 PM
I'm pretty sure that's just happenstance…or fate…or the Creator/Pattern doing whatever. I think the man he bought it from didn't even know what it was.

I'm pretty sure Tam is a legit blademaster. Don't want to give too much away but he was the one who taught Rand the Flame and Void technique.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 10, 2009, 05:03:02 PM »
Comfortable Madness,

You are correct. The big question I have regarding the blade (forgive me if it's a spoiler) is why Tam got such a special blade, (See Lan description at beginning of TGH), and what path that blade traveled to arrive at Rand Al'Thor.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 10, 2009, 06:15:32 PM »
We do know a little bit about him. He served with the Golden Bees in Illian and rose to a high rank there, if I recall correctly. That would explain the swordmaster abilities, if not power-wrought blade.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!