Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 125211 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2009, 04:14:07 AM »
One of the things I really liked was when Mat and Thom are on the boat and everyone thinks Mat is a paid Tar Valon Assassin. LOL

Mat is cool and does not even realize it.  He keeps wondering why all this stuff is happening to him, and does not realize the shadow is after him.

Perrin and Faile have some cool scenes early as well, but they really bog down.  MAt just gets more and more interesting, IMWO.

enjoy the boods, I think you will like them a lot better reading them as a set and not having to wait 2 yeqars in between.  I qm jealous!

You remind me why I love the Wheel of Time  :)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mtbikemom

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2009, 05:57:29 AM »
Joe, we can't get enough of this!  You're on my favorite book.  I think all the characters improve in the re-reading... at least for me they did.  Or re-listening.  I do recommend the audio versions while doing dishes.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2009, 06:03:46 AM »
Joe, we can't get enough of this!  You're on my favorite book.  I think all the characters improve in the re-reading... at least for me they did.  Or re-listening.  I do recommend the audio versions while doing dishes.

No life quite like the vicarious!  :D
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2009, 06:17:08 PM »
I'm currently on Path of Daggers in my latest read-through, and I randomly thought of something the other day. Maybe it was answered somewhere in the books and I just don't remember, but what would happen if a gateway was opened into the ocean, or other body of water? Would water start pouring through it? I think that could be an interesting way to throw off attackers... just wash them away.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)

CUBAREY

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 25, 2009, 04:36:21 AM »
I think that could be an interesting way to throw off attackers... just wash them away.

Possibly but it would be very tricky as the line of sight requirement to use the power would require the channeler to bein near approximity to the gate. A more interesting choice would be to open a gate, directly under the attacker, into inner space (the void).

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 25, 2009, 08:59:45 AM »
or into outer space.  Wrap yourself in a cocoon of air and attach yourself to something solid, then open a gateway into space and have vacuum suck everything in the room out to nothingness. 

I think much like in the alien movie when the alien was sucked into vacuum, that might be best way to defeat a worm in the blight.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:01:50 AM by Razor »

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »
I've always wondered why, when someone does the revolving-gate thing against shadowspawn, most of the gates don't open underwater...
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
I always thought gates were "one way" - as in, the point of origin was the beginning and the destination point you could not enter

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2009, 05:20:37 PM »
:shrug:
I definitely remember Rand commenting on how odd it would be for people to find hacked-off Trolloc limbs where the gates had deposited them. I don't really remember anything about the gates being one way only.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 25, 2009, 08:06:17 PM »
I've thought whether it would be possible to surround groups of Trollocs/Fades/bad-guys with gateways, then rain fire on them and force them through the gateways, where they would then end up either facing some monstrous force of in the middle of nowhere on like Tremalking or something.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

CUBAREY

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 25, 2009, 09:58:38 PM »
I've thought whether it would be possible to surround groups of Trollocs/Fades/bad-guys with gateways, then rain fire on them and force them through the gateways, where they would then end up either facing some monstrous force of in the middle of nowhere on like Tremalking or something.…

First, all the shadowspawn trollics, fades, etc.) would automaticly die upon entereting the gateways. So it would only apply to darkfriends. Moreover, its a rather complicated technique and you would have the obvious problem of having just invested an unprepared area with a lot of angry pissed-off darkfriends so any destination outside the blight or maybe the waste would be problematic.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2009, 02:11:28 AM »
I was thinking more of an ambush-type thing…not in the middle of a full-blown battle. But I see your point.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2009, 06:21:57 PM »
Can we keep this thread spoiler-free for Joe?  I don't think he knew about gateways yet, surely not the revolving type.  Thanks.
He ate my horse.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 26, 2009, 11:08:13 PM »
Thanks SarahG. No I don't know what gateways are yet, but I guess it's not far away.

Well, I'm a little over 200 pages in and this book is awesome. The best so far. The scene where EVERYBODY battles Fades and Trolloc's in the Stone of Tear was awesome. Rand's quick battle with Lanfear was the highlight for me. I think he would have won if he hadn't left Callandor in his room. At least he got it eventually and then WOW, he can really use that thing. Exellent scene, followed by a sad but also great scene where Rand is so upset he tries to bring a girl back to life using Callandor while Moiraine is telling him he can't. Very tense scene! At least they've had some funny scenes, like Rand using the One Power to pinch Egwene on the bum. Then Elayne does it back to him a lot harder. I'm enjoying Rand learning more and more about the power and how to use it (because the reader learns as Rand learns) I'm starting to take back what I said about Moiraine in the last post. She's actually dropped some lines in this book that hint at her motivations and her desire to help. Perrin is heading back to Two Rivers with Faile, Loial, and some Aiel. Faile is the one with the attitude problem now. She's making Perrin's life miserable with her squabbling with Berelain( where the hell did SHE come from?! lol) over his love. Mat wants to leave but can't. I feel for Mat, he feels like he's just been plopped down in the middle of things but I KNOW his role is more important. He went into the doorway to ask the questions and was given a destination. Very funny scene when, after he exits, Rand and Moiraine come out and she yells at both of them. Neither knew the other was in there. Let's see what else:
-Lan kissed Nyneave (didn't see that coming)
-Rand kissed Elayne (been waiting for that)
-Min works directly for the Amyrlin now, she's grown her hair out and wears a dress for a disguise
-Rand inadvertantly causes weird things to happen (reflections coming to life trying to kill him)

Man, a lot has happened so far in this book and I'm barely a third of the way through. Very exciting! I can't wait to read more and I will keep you guys updated! Thanks again!
-Joe

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 26, 2009, 11:51:44 PM »
I especially like how Mat ends up with answers so very different from anything he intended and, in the rush to get him out because of two ta'veren being there at once, he ends up with more than three answers (I think), all of which seem like nonsense to him and only the first has any relation to what he'd planned to ask.

And you haven't even gotten to the best part yet.  The definitively best scene in the whole book (imo) is coming up fairly soon.