Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136262 times)

darxbane

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #525 on: April 23, 2009, 02:40:58 PM »
Cadsuane is quite interesting.  She only knows how to do things via the "I am Aes Sedai and that should be enough for you" attitude towards people.  She is also the most successful AS in history when it comes to finding male channelers (even though she is Green Ajah), but also in maxing out their survival rates after gentling.   Great catch on the Ter'angreal, Joe.  Do you also like how she arranges her sewing box so she can see behind her?  Everyone is so shocked when she knows they are there without turning around.  Such a simple but effective trick.

I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: April 23, 2009, 04:28:14 PM »
Why do people hate Cadsuane so much?  I swear, people who don't like don't even begin to imagine just how hard a job she has set for herself, just how important it is, and why she is doing it.  Despite her flaws, I am deeply impressed by her and her abilities.  She's arrogant, but she's got something to be arrogant about.

I was about to include more, but realized it was getting spoilerish.  Let's just say that she has impressed me deeply and think she is on the right track in general.
Nature hates being reified.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: April 23, 2009, 04:37:19 PM »
Why do people hate Cadsuane so much?  I swear, people who don't like don't even begin to imagine just how hard a job she has set for herself, just how important it is, and why she is doing it.  Despite her flaws, I am deeply impressed by her and her abilities.  She's arrogant, but she's got something to be arrogant about.

I was about to include more, but realized it was getting spoilerish.  Let's just say that she has impressed me deeply and think she is on the right track in general.

I agree. She is one of the few Aes Sedai that I can stand. Aes Sedai, in general, are extremely annoying. There are exceptions but most are so blinded by their arrogance they dont understand what the hell they should be doing.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: April 23, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
Cadsuane is alot better then most Aes Sedai, I think she has earned a little arrogance if she's actually managed to help men in the past instead of just leaving them to die like most AS do.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: April 23, 2009, 07:19:26 PM »
All good points, and i respect them. However, to treat the savior of humanity in the fashion of which she does goes beyond a small measure of arrogance into a massive superioty complex that I find extremely annoying. In addition the "It's my way or the highway" attitude i find gennerally unattractive... :-\
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: April 23, 2009, 08:35:22 PM »
I think that's her point, things are tending to go to Rand's head. It is true he is the savior but he has to remember humility and I think he is fast forgetting that with his "I have to be Iron!" attitude. Without saying more I just want to point how that Cadsuane is not the only one trying to make Rand remember how to be human. Cadsuane is just more up front about it.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #531 on: April 23, 2009, 10:27:02 PM »
Whether Rigney intended to characterize her as evil or not, and I think there is foreshadowing to support that he at least toyed with the idea, he managed to portray a fundamentally abusive and evil person.  Something Rand who 1) grew up without a mother, 2)has been seriously tortured by women with power, literally and 3) isn't even given a choice in his romantic life -- really doesn't need.  Allowing Cadsuane's kind of abuse in would tend to unbalance him further.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: April 24, 2009, 12:37:07 AM »
Whether Rigney intended to characterize her as evil or not, and I think there is foreshadowing to support that he at least toyed with the idea, he managed to portray a fundamentally abusive and evil person.  Something Rand who 1) grew up without a mother, 2)has been seriously tortured by women with power, literally and 3) isn't even given a choice in his romantic life -- really doesn't need.  Allowing Cadsuane's kind of abuse in would tend to unbalance him further.

I really think you're identifying with Rand too much here, Renoard.  It's only from his perspective that he's being abused.  That's kind of part of the problem she's trying to fix.
Nature hates being reified.

yakumo fujii

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: April 24, 2009, 12:51:54 AM »
Cadsuane is quite interesting.  She only knows how to do things via the "I am Aes Sedai and that should be enough for you" attitude towards people. 

That's not how she acts, she treats people as they are. The rest of the Aes Sedai are obsessed with tradition, status, strength in the power, etc but she will listen to a good idea even if it comes from the lowest sister. She doesn't tolerate the conniving political BS that all the Aes Sedai are obsessed with, she's blunt and doesn't dance around the truth like other Aes Sedai.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #534 on: April 24, 2009, 12:55:48 AM »
Mmmm nope. I Identify with perrin.  There is some identification with Rand when you are reading him, but no I'm talking about the arrogance of sitting and demanding that the leader of several nations come to tea with you before you'll even answer questions.  That she'd extort and use demeaning language etctera.
In general she is a controlling mean spirited and definitely evil person who is adding to the problem, because she knows better than everyone else.  This is the repeated paradigm with people who Rand deals with. All think he needs to be their toy or lapdog or better yet, where's that male a'dam.  In fact, the reality that Rand is willing to attach himself to a person who is strutting about so far above her station is one of the reasons I finally gave up on him as a character.
The narrative and her own rational suggest she thinks it's for his own good.  But objectively, it's not and no governmental official in that posistion is anything more than a puppet.  Certainly not an Epic hero.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: April 24, 2009, 08:37:58 AM »
I disagree, Cadsuane doesn't want to be shouted at like she's some dog, which is what he was doing when she first arrived. She wants him to act with civility what's wrong with that?

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: April 24, 2009, 01:37:06 PM »
Rand attached himself to Cadsuane for one reason and reason only, Tarman Gai'don. He knows that she is only there to win come Tarman Gai'don. That's all Rand wants, for Tarman Gai'don to come and for him to win and send the DO packing. He uses anyone or anything that would help him achieve that end. He views Cadsuane as one of those and thus plays by her rules, enough, to keep her around.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: April 24, 2009, 03:26:03 PM »
Actually, he attached himself to Cadsuane because of a viewing Min had that Cadsuane will teach him and the other Ash'aman a lesson they must learn.  Some have theorized that it is the flaw of Callandor, but I think it is something more.  She is the epitome of Aes Sedai arrogance.  She is an extreme traditionalist, but has allowed rules to be broken (many she breaks herself) in order to get what she wants.  She keeps everone off balance to maintain control.  It is an effective tactic, but that doesn't mean she is not a B!tch.  What she is doing is no different than the way Moiraine acted before she wised up.  Even insane  Lews Therin has more knowledge and wisdom than any current Aes Sedai (he was almost 600 years old at the breaking, if I remember correctly).  The Aes Sedai were fragmented long before the official tower split, and the actions of Moiraine, Verin, Cadsuane (not to mention the rampant infestation of Black sisters), shows how uncohesive they really are.  They have certainly forgotten that Aes Sedai means "Servant of All", not "Master of all".
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: April 24, 2009, 03:34:04 PM »
Actually, he attached himself to Cadsuane because of a viewing Min had that Cadsuane will teach him and the other Ash'aman a lesson they must learn

Really the same thing I said in my previous post you just added the specifics.

The Aes Sedai, the female ones, have been a thorne in the side of the fight against the DO for quite some time now. When Lews Therin came up with the plan to seal the DO away Latra Posae, the strongest female Aes Sedai at the time, convinced all the other female Aes Sedai not to help him. That is why all of the 100 companions were male. Will they ever get it?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: April 24, 2009, 04:15:40 PM »
Cadsuane was never shouted at like a dog she came and went into Rands residence with out permission and ignored all his authority and generally has no respect for anyone other than herself. She listens to those who she believes will have viable solutions, not caring about their strength because she doesn't recognize stupid traditions. She does whatever she wants for the end goal not out of kindness. She is bright and successful but she is a bitch...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz