Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136397 times)

douglas

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #180 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:45 PM »
I found the scene where Rand was seeing important events in Aeil history very confusing. I kind of got it, but I kind of didn't, you know?
Go back and read it again, and pay particular attention to the names of the viewpoint characters.  You are not seeing "assorted important events in Aiel history," you are seeing an account of the origins of the Aiel in reverse order.  Each person you see a memory of is mentioned or present as an old relative in the previous memory.  The account stretches from the founding of Rhuidean and the establishment of the principle trial Aiel chiefs must go through (note the Aes Sedai present for that; she is old enough to personally remember most, if not all, of the events shown in this sequence), back through the trip to the Aiel Waste, further back to the abandonment of the Way of the Leaf, through the desperate search for safety in the chaos of the Breaking of the World, through the devastation caused by insane male Aes Sedai and the attempts to deal with it, through the end of the War of Power, and finally all the way to the creation of the Bore, the hole in the Dark One's prison that allows him to touch the world.  I found it an incredibly tragic story that almost brought me to tears, and a lot of what it reveals is completely new.

It also has quite a few references to other things you should already know, and it's interesting to pick those out.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 28, 2009, 10:38:40 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if we just let the guy read the freaking book??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 28, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »
He mentioned that he found the scene confusing and didn't really get it very well, and I consider that particular scene extremely important (you know that "best scene in the book" I mentioned on the end of page 11 of this thread?  This is it imo).  I was just trying to clear up his confusion.  This is not a scene that is supposed to be confusing when you first read it, so trying to fix his confusion doesn't spoil anything and seems a nice thing to do.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:48:22 PM by douglas »

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 28, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »
Oh, OK. But still. We all figured it out. I'm sure Joe can.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 28, 2009, 11:03:08 PM »
it makes more sense on a 2nd read-through of the series. names and such...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 28, 2009, 11:03:49 PM »
But he's not done with the series yet.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 28, 2009, 11:27:25 PM »
For that scene?  I don't recall any of the names in any of those memories being mentioned anywhere else in the entire series.  Well, except the names of certain Forsaken, but the ones before they received their current monikers aren't really important to understanding the scene and the one after is well known long before this.

Also, I had no trouble understanding it perfectly the first time.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 28, 2009, 11:28:51 PM »
OK. Let's stop this pointless discussion.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Razor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 01, 2009, 06:17:55 AM »
So, how is the book coming?

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 07, 2009, 12:35:56 AM »
Update! I'm on page 529 now. Sorry for the delay but this is a long friggin' book and I have two jobs!

Well Rand and Mat are in the Waste and now they are heading to call a meeting of all the Aeil tribes to come together. This is easier said than done because many of the tribes don't get along, plus they're not all happy about Rand because the prophecy says he'll destroy them. Very interesting how a race of people so dedicated to prophecy would get so upset when it comes true. I actually really liked this. Their religion comes in conflict with their feelings. Worth thinking about. I'm back to liking Rand. I understand that he has a a lot on his shoulders and I'm very curious to see how he'll unite the tribes. Mat is still the man. I've liked him from day one and he still remains the most down to Earth character. Perrin and Faile are in Two Rivers and have had some nice battle scenes there too! He just made a pact with the Whitecloaks (who were initially there to find him and kill him) to hold off their feud until the Trollocs are dealt with. I'm DYING to know how this plays out. I'm seeing a lot of growth in Perrin and he truly is becoming a leader. I'm warming up to Faile, though girls who play games like she does tend to be difficult to like. Nyneave, Elayne, and Thom are in Tanchico. They introduced a couple new characters here. For a whole chapter I was lost. I had no idea who anybody was or what they were talking about. Eaginin just rescued them from some thieves so I guess I see some kind of friendship there. I honestly don't know what they plan on doing about the Black Ajah. If you ask me, they came a little unprepared. Now.....the last scene I read...was the one of the best scenes in the entire series. Lanfear totally totally schooled Nyneave and Elayne in the use of the Power. They thought it was Liandran and were all ready to capture her and then Lanfear walked in and she is so powerful that they were helpless. Somehow she managed to make Nyneave and Elayne completely under her control (Spirit??) and made them tell her everything!! Why they were there and who they were with...now she knows it all!! LOL  VERY great scene. I have no idea what they are going to do now. This book is getting better and better, though I wouldn't put it above Dragon Reborn just yet. This is a LONG book and some parts carry on. Again I'm sorry my update took so long. I was just planning to do an update when I finished but that might not be for another week and a half. I appreciate your comments and your patience!! I'll be back to work on the book soon enough!
-Joe

deathgate

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »
Lanfear totally totally schooled Nyneave and Elayne in the use of the Power. They thought it was Liandran and were all ready to capture her and then Lanfear walked in and she is so powerful that they were helpless. Somehow she managed to make Nyneave and Elayne completely under her control (Spirit??) and made them tell her everything!! Why they were there and who they were with...now she knows it all!! LOL  VERY great scene.

I thought it was Moghedian.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2009, 03:28:29 AM »
Quote from: JoeC on Today at 06:35:56 PM
Lanfear totally totally schooled Nyneave and Elayne in the use of the Power. They thought it was Liandran and were all ready to capture her and then Lanfear walked in and she is so powerful that they were helpless. Somehow she managed to make Nyneave and Elayne completely under her control (Spirit??) and made them tell her everything!! Why they were there and who they were with...now she knows it all!! LOL  VERY great scene.

I thought it was, too.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2009, 03:53:49 AM »
It is Moghedien, using Compulsion. I'm sure we all get some of the hundred important characters mixed up sometimes.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2009, 04:12:33 AM »
I know; I'm just pointing it out.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:46 PM »

Whoops! I don't even know who that is yet. LOL  I re-read it and they actually don't mention the character by name, I just figured it was Lanfear because it was female and had superb control of the power and talked of the other Forsaken. My mistake guys!