Author Topic: WOT Help  (Read 136428 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: WOT Help
« Reply #165 on: January 27, 2009, 12:54:02 AM »
Sorry Joe, I probably should've added spoilers to that post.

But honestly, what does that spoil? Its a killing technique of the one power. It would be like spoiling something by saying SPOILERS that some people can cause the earth to explode beneath their enemies' feet. SPOILER
If it had anything to do with the plot, sure I could see that. For example some techniques learned by Nynaeve or Egwene could probably be called spoilers...but I think gates of death are ok.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Razor

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 27, 2009, 04:03:42 AM »
Joe, keep sharing.  It's easy to remember the really awesome scenes like the battle in the stone culminating with Rand and the little girl, but your posts  also remind me of the many merely awesome scenes in the books, LOL.

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2009, 02:03:37 AM »
That, my dear Shaggy, is what we call a spoiler.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »
I love the scene where Rand and Logain and a bunch of people like that are in that random manor house and then the hordes of Trollocs and Fades come and attack…and Lews Therin takes control and uses all of that really cool stuff…the new weaves and stuff.…
Um.....I haven't quite gotten there just yet.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2009, 02:49:24 AM »
Shaggy, please do not ruin the new fan's first read-through of the series by revealing plot points before he gets to them.  It is extremely rude.

JoeC, maybe you should see if you can edit the thread title to add a "NO SPOILERS" request.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2009, 04:27:11 AM »
Yeah, and probably some of us can move Wheel of Time discussion not directly related to the purpose of this thread to a different topic.  ;)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2009, 04:09:31 PM »
SORRY!!!!!! I completely screwed up I'm really, really sorry.…
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2009, 05:20:03 PM »
its ok Shaggy, just dont tell them about my cameo in in book 11 with the aliens...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2009, 06:01:49 PM »
Haha :D I  promise I won't :P
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

JoeC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2009, 09:30:57 PM »
No problem Shaggy. I guess I can edit my first post to let people know. I made it past page 300 last night! They are in Rhuiden (sp?) Mat and Rand are having some VERY odd adventures there. I found the scene where Rand was seeing important events in Aeil history very confusing. I kind of got it, but I kind of didn't, you know? Maybe it will be better explained later. I really wish he didn't leave Callandor in the stone of Tear. I feel like something bad will happen. Egwene, Nyneave, and Thom set off for Tanchico and I haven't heard about Perrin since he left for Two Rivers. Not much to update. I guess this is the part of the book where everybody goes their separate ways and has their own adventures. I like learning more about the Aeil, even though they are very confusing too. I wish RJ explained their style and culture more thoroughly as you experience it in the book. Much like how Brandon did with the kandra. I like when authors make new cultures, just not when we are thrust into that culture as if we already know how they live and why they speak the way they do. It's a little frustrating at times but there's no way I'm getting down on this book. It's getting very exciting. Thanks again guys!
-Joe

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 28, 2009, 09:34:36 PM »
You're at a good point in the story, Joe. Kind of a turning point with the Rhuidean stuff and everything, I guess.  :)

The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

IngtarWhoStoleChristmas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2009, 09:41:26 PM »
Joe,

Hang in there. Rhuidean was pretty rough for me the first time around too. It gets clearer, and I find on subsequent re-reads its one of my favorite points in the story. Don't worry you'll be back with Perrin soon and it's WELL worth the wait!

I'm just about to start FoH but can't cause of too much other stuff going on. Arrrggghhhh!!!! Maybe I will anyway ;-)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2009, 09:59:32 PM »
JoeC,
Things are going to get very interesting from here.  I would suggest re-reading the Ter'Angreal scenes in Rhuidean, and compare them to the current Aiel way of life, and then consider why the Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones allow Tinkers such free reign.  Remember, what Rand experienced was the test for someone to become a Clan Chief, and Culadin's brother didn't do so well.  Why do you think what he saw would be so hard for an everyday Aiel to accept?

As for RJ's limited info on the Aiel, you will discover that it is necessary to be broken in to their culture slowly.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:01:34 PM by darxbane »
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2009, 10:01:55 PM »
Ummm…shouldn't we just let him read the thing??
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Relient A

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2009, 10:16:55 PM »
I always thought gates were "one way" - as in, the point of origin was the beginning and the destination point you could not enter

Rand kept a gate open that a a certain person created, and went back through it later. That was in book... I don't know, 5 or 6. I think.
The following Statement is True.
The Previous statement is False.
(bythe way, that's a self-reliant paradox)