Author Topic: Splitting A Memory of Light...  (Read 18590 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Splitting A Memory of Light...
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:43:15 PM »
I know that this is a question for EUOL, and that he doesn't usually frequent the boards, but I thought I'd put this up here anyways, just in case he does see it, or some of his close buddies know the answer to this one.

The initial goal for AMoL was 400k, with a very probable increase.  400k though is what Brandon has for his end-year goal though.  At one of the cons, he said that AMoL was probably going to be more like 600k when finished, and Tom Doherty said that it was probably going to be bound into two books.  Then, just recently on Writing Excuses, Brandon said that he was writing a 700k fantasy novel (which I can only assume that he meant again, AMoL).

So, if the book really is going to be 700k words, and it's going to be split into two volumes, I was curious if both of those volumes are still going to be released back to back, or if there'll be a more significant time lag between the two.  With a goal of 400k by December (just over "half" of the "book"), and a proposed release date of Fall of 2009, does this leave enough time to get the second "half" of the book done and out by approximately the same time?  And if they're not going to both end up coming out really close to one another is there going to be some sort of min-climax for the end of the first half, or is it just going to be cut somewhere in the middle?

I just can't help but notice that Brandon has been emphasizing that he said 400k words would be completed by December, and not that the book would be done by December.  Guess I'm mostly looking for a revised time schedule because Brandon is usually stays in such close contact with his readers.  Might be worrying about this too much though.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Splitting A Memory of Light...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 11:37:34 PM »
This is something that's is still being discussed and I know that EUOL wont say anything about it until there's an official announcement about it.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 01:16:28 AM »
RJ wrote a lot of the end, and the way Brandon's been talking, I think that bit ballparks to 200k words. Before his death RJ, and even now with Harriet, there was a lot of insistence that it be published as one book. So far as I can tell, Harriet has relented a little, and rumors are that it'll be published initially as two books, back-to-back with a month or so gap; then after another few months, it'll be set out as a single book.

Mind you: those are rumors. As Sprig pointed out, Brandon is being very respectful with this project: he won't utter a word about it until Harriet and Tom release something official.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 01:22:32 AM »
First of all I don't want to get worked up about nothing; I am sure that whatever decision is made will be the right one.

However, if it actually is NOT possible to publish as one book, they should do as much as they can to respect RJ's wishes. Instead of releasing two books seperately they should release one book in two volumes, similar to what Tolkien originally wanted done with The Lord of the Rings. Just cut it in half, with 350k for each volume.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:44:59 AM »
First of all I don't want to get worked up about nothing; I am sure that whatever decision is made will be the right one.

However, if it actually is NOT possible to publish as one book, they should do as much as they can to respect RJ's wishes. Instead of releasing two books seperately they should release one book in two volumes, similar to what Tolkien originally wanted done with The Lord of the Rings. Just cut it in half, with 350k for each volume.

That would be great.  I am going to start re-reading them as soon as this semester is over.  Gives me about a year to burn through 11 1000 page works.  I've got a long road ahead of me.  :P
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 03:33:31 AM »
I don't know why they would need to publish the two halves a month apart. It's not like someone will read the first half and then decide that they don't want to read the ending to the whole series! I think it should just be published as a two volume set right away so we don't have to wait any longer.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 06:50:44 AM »
I think that if they do have to split it, both parts should be packaged together, to be as close to one book as possible.

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 07:25:07 AM »
I know as a fan I'd like it all in one book, no matter how big.  But that probably won't happen, I'm sure there are other marketing factors to the situation to consider.
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 03:04:52 PM »
I too would prefer one volume. I've seen huge books printed before. Heck, I have a copy of Shakespeare's complete works that is about twice as wide as any Jordan book. Maybe if THEIR printers aren't up to the task they can just outsource it :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 05:12:40 PM »
When he came to Denver CO for a book signing, the group of us asked him about it.   He said he didn't have the same pull RJ did and that RJ had always said that if he needed to, he would get TOR to make a new binding to accommodate the book, but BS didn't believe for a minute that he could get that out of them.   He said the most he might be able to do would be to get them to release both books at the same time and he planned to try.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:28 PM »
When he came to Denver CO for a book signing, the group of us asked him about it.   He said he didn't have the same pull RJ did and that RJ had always said that if he needed to, he would get TOR to make a new binding to accommodate the book, but BS didn't believe for a minute that he could get that out of them.   He said the most he might be able to do would be to get them to release both books at the same time and he planned to try.

Go go Brandon!  And Louds of Gravy, agreed.  I have two different 'Bibles of Shakespeare,' and both are pushing binding to extremes.  Though, the newest RSC version is quite a bit...larger.  I would love to read from a larger book.  It would be awesome.  (Though, it may remind me of a textbook...and that'd kill the moment for a second or two.)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 09:19:04 PM »
For those wanting both books released at the same time: Bookstores have limited shelf space and would be much happier to be able to put one book out and sell it and then have space to put out the other book.

There are a lot of factors that go into bookselling that the customer doesn't tend to think about.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 07:54:34 PM »
For those wanting both books released at the same time: Bookstores have limited shelf space and would be much happier to be able to put one book out and sell it and then have space to put out the other book.

There are a lot of factors that go into bookselling that the customer doesn't tend to think about.

Meanwhile in Libraries (at least in my experience with five different ones in my area)...it's not uncommon to get 20-40 copies of a VERY popular new release simply because they'll all be servicing the massive held book backlogs for the first month or two after the release and then sell off the majority of them as used books after they start "cluttering the shelves".  It's what happened with one RJ novel when I worked in a library and what happened with Harry Potter when I worked in another.  The thicker the book, the more overdue fees we're looking at so the more likely the library is to actually PROFIT (and be able to turn around and buy more books when the next one comes out).

If we get a two volume release, it'll either have to be bundled or libraries will be the first place that you can actually find copies of volume two without a pre-order.

feral monkey

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2008, 03:04:42 AM »
Brandon actually spoke about splitting AMoL at the Portland signing. I'll try and hit the high points from memory as accurately as I can.

Basically nothing is set in stone but Tor is pushing for splitting the book.  Brandon said bound in one volume the book would look something like this, then he grabbed 3 copies of HoA and held them up as reference. The cost of binding a book that large would require a price point so high that it would be economically silly for Tor to do it. He also said splitting would mean that the first half could be published earlier while the second half was still a work in progress.

My take from Brandon's talk was that he has little pull over if the book is split. The question is not if a single volume is wanted but if it is economically feasible. I would pay $50 easy for one volume but I think 2 volumes are pretty much a certainty.

On a related note, when I heard Brandon was finishing the series I was apprehensive. After reading Elantris and the MB series I had hope and after the signing I'm comfortable that last book will be done as well as it could be by anyone other than RJ. Brandon talked about working with Harriet and meeting Wilson and working on the series. He talks about it on his blog but to hear him speak about tWoT, just what a hardcore fan his is really comes out which I found very reassuring. And the katana story was very cool!

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 01:06:51 AM »
He also said splitting would mean that the first half could be published earlier while the second half was still a work in progress.

I guess earlier would be good...or maybe it would be like prolonging the torture  :P
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott