Author Topic: Splitting A Memory of Light...  (Read 18649 times)

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
Re: Splitting A Memory of Light...
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »
Not even possible. There's no way RJ would screw with us like that.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 02:20:10 AM »
We already know there's a Fourth Age (Right... fourth?) after this present one, and that to me is one of the most interesting things about the series.  How does that time come about?  It appears to be a good age, which got off to a rocky start.  It seemed to have conflicting views of Rand, some good some bad.  The lense of history applied to him is interesting to me.  I wish we could have had a book of future history, going into detail on how empires rose and fell, and how they all thought of the Dragon.

I just finished Memory Sorry and Thorn, saying "The Dragon" in this context still sounds weird.

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2009, 03:59:19 AM »
That's the sign of a great book though–the fact that you want to read more about it.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

silver_kage

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2009, 07:49:25 PM »
I always thought that it would be cool if the last word of the series was ... flicker ...

God that would piss me of so much!!!!! If RJ was still alive it would excite me though as it would bring the possibility of a new WoT series :(
I still wish he could have written a series on Lews Therrin and the war of power!

Shaggy

• Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2009, 08:12:30 PM »
That…would be awesome.

!
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »
About the topic (it seems it degenerated a bit in the last posts, uh?   :D )
Here in Spain we have a small editorial company named Gigamesh. They have great taste in fantasy and scifi books, and they tend to make high quality and customer oriented (which means the same) translations and editions.
They got the rights to publish aSoFaI (I'll use acronyms as they have been stated in page 2) and they started with paperback instead of hardcover (as I said elsewhere, books in Spain are REALLY expensive, and such huge books would be extremely costly) by attending to fantasy fans feedback.
Books 3 (A Storm of Swords) and 4 (Feast for Crows) had to be splitted in two because of their length. They just simply got them wrapped in plastic together (what's it called in English? In Spanish it's "retractilado") and sold as one book.
They were concerned with book 4 because some stores unwrapped them and sold them as two books but I don't think that could happen with aMoL because Tor isn't a small company as Gigamesh.
As I did when they asked, to save pages to the books, I would suggest the appendix (it takes several dozen of pages in last WoT books) to be set a separate small book, so they don't have to publish appendixes in both books.
Oddly, I made the suggestion to save money and they took it to the Deluxe Edition  ???

So, we all know it will be 2 volumes. It is just, what do you prefer? Having both volumes at once in, say, 2010? Or have one volume... say end 2009 and the other in end 2010?
I'm guessing based on what BS tells in his website, no way I can know when they will actually be released.

Also, I would like to tell you about the experience we have here in Spain with WoT.
The biggest fantasy company in here is Timun Mas. It was broke and some supposed fans took up with it. They got WoT rights. They published the first 3 volumes (that's it, till TDR). Then, they decided to split the following books in two. They sold each book at more or less the same price they have been selling the first 3 so........... they got to gain double and we had to pay double. We knew nothing of this practice because the web was not so common those days.

So, we know what it is to get split books. It is weird. Endings of the first halves are untasty. Begginings on the second halves are strange. Moreso when they release one book a year. Definetely, I would rather have aMoL in one book at once, whether it is 1-2 or 3 volumes, than having it on episodes.

Oh, I read French version of Feast for Crows went out in 3 or 4 volumes. THAT must be unnerving.....

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2009, 10:37:08 PM »
I always thought that it would be cool if the last word of the series was ... flicker ...

Oh lord no.  Please no.

To be honest, that was one of my favorite parts in the series, and I love what he was doing there, but ending the book with that would ruin everything for me.  I hate stories where nothing ends up being real.

SURPRISE!  It was a dream!
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2009, 10:48:33 PM »
We may prefer it to come out a certain way (both volumes in one year for example), but simple logic demands that Tor make as much money as possible. They will make more if they release it in subsequent years starting this November, and the next volume released next November - in the US.

As for the foreign releases, I couldn't say. all the European countries split the novels. The novel splitting in Germany drove me crazy when I looked for German editions of my favorite books.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »
Well, if the only thing was to make as more money as possible, Tor would have sold at least 20 WoT books, not 11 (apart from "New Spring").
I suppose the author's will counts here. He has constructed one novel (be it a stand alone one or one of a series) and he wants it to be enjoyed as a whole.
Also, this practice annoys the costumer, who is the one who pays. Timun Mas splits any novel with more than 400-500 pages. This has led a lot of people to learn english and purchase the UK editions of WoT, Sword of Truth and others.
And it can lead to disaster. The Malazan Empire series, one which is fairly long, original (of what I've heard) and succesful, was a disaster in Spain because they split the first book (the weakest one, as people say) in two, for a total of around 30 euros (40-50 dollars).
It's obvious aMoL would be succesful even if they released it on recycled paper used to wrap fish, but people will start buying WoT after it's released, and Tor has started to split books in the series recently, they have to keep the balance between making money and annoying people so they can sell the series to new readers.
I believe this forum (as well as other forums authors and publishers check) are good places where people can express their concern so that the ones in charge will take them into account.

Sorry for the sluggy post, midnight passed when I was writing and I had a hard day  :-[

Casco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2009, 04:48:14 PM »
Im realy sorry for not being able to read the 2 other pre stories before eye of the world (RJ was saying he was planing to do 3 of them, but he did only make one, the new spring). Im sorry that the story about Mat and Tuon after TG will not be written, and RJ did have plans for that one to.

The thing is, i dont mind if AMOL was 10 books. Infact, i DONT want the story to finish at all. Once AMOL is released, its all over :( and i dont want it to be.

Sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2009, 05:30:34 PM »
Sorry for my bad english, its not my native language.
I honestly couldn't tell, and I am a native speaker.  Your grammar is pretty good.  You've got a few spelling errors, but not many of them and I've seen a lot worse from native English speakers.

I agree, it will be a bit sad when the series is finally over, but it would be worse to drag it out forever.  It would be very nice to have the series continue, but only by going further beyond TG or into other new plot lines.

Casco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »
Thank you :)
Yes i know, the story cant be draged out forever, i know that. The thing that bothers me is that i will allways think about the 3 books that RJ was planing, the two books before Eye of the world and the book with Mat and Tuon :X It wouldn`t suprise me if he was planing a book about Perrins Fate to, beond TG. And about Lan.... god, there is alot of stories i want to read about in that world :)

Alatar

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2009, 11:14:37 PM »
Well, Casco, you're right, the series could go on forever (the story about the DO liberation from his prison, the Shadow War, the individual stories.................).
But, well, think of that many TV series who have gone forever..... they always stretched things too far away from their original purpose. We all know RJ wouldn't do that, but he couldn't be writing forever (think 1 book a year, which is a very fast pace, he could have been writing for 40 years more). Better to let the series finish and never let it die within us. Should he be able write everything down, there would have been no place for discussion and theories and random ideas, so the WoT would have died in time.
Best stories are those which, even after their end, they live forever. And Wot is one of those. For sure.

PS: just noticed, why do we always tend to think of the DO as male? And... does that mean the Creator is female?  :-\
Not strictly, of course, just about ying/yang dynamics.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2009, 02:12:30 AM »
PS: just noticed, why do we always tend to think of the DO as male? And... does that mean the Creator is female?  :-\
Not strictly, of course, just about ying/yang dynamics.

This is just another reason why so many people think Bela is the Creator. For reals.  :D
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Casco

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2009, 11:48:03 AM »
hehe ye, what about that horse! it seems like she got some part in TG :)