Author Topic: Star Wars: Force Unleashed  (Read 5422 times)

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
Star Wars: Force Unleashed
« on: November 02, 2008, 04:19:53 PM »
I finally sat down to play this game yesterday. I picked it up when it first came out, but just keep doing other things. It might have something to do with my first reaction to it even coming out. 'Oh no, here comes more Star Wars. More things labeled as good simply because it has the logo.' Thankfully, I was surprised.

The storyline so far is rather engaging. It seems like it will be fairly complex, but not over the top. And it is just simply interesting to start out as evil in this universe. The story is very linear, so be prepared  if you go into it expecting Knight of the Old Republic.

Seems about enough gameplay for about 8-10 hours. Some extra things in each level that will keep collectors happy. Some spiffy unlocks too to make your character visually entertaining. There is a experience system that feels a little forced into the game. It is definitely not min/max supportive. It feels like they placed it there simply so you wouldn't be able to do everything. Either all at once, or at the beginning of the game. It eventually makes sense though, so I am not going to give it too much guff.

It looks gorgeous on the PS3 though. I assume the XBOX versionlooks nice as well (I am choosing to ignore the existence of the Wii for the time being). The environments are definitely interesting and feel rather immersive once you get farther into the level.

Overall it looks like it will be fun time through the game, even if only for a short while.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Force Unleashed
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:46:36 PM »
I downloaded it for my phone. ha ha.  They story is pretty good.  According to my friend it is essentially the same story, just gameplay is WAY different on the two (for obvious reasons.)  I enjoyed it and hope to get it eventually.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 03:45:04 AM »
I looked at the game, read the reviews, looked at my wallet, looked at my wallet again, and decided it was a renter.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 04:25:46 AM »
Have one level left. Wonderful game so far, but I understand where you are coming from Reaves. Have to pick and choose what you really consider worth owning. And since this game is only around 8-10 hours if you decide to you need to collect everything, renting is not a bad option. I am not really seeing any replayability either. Maybe at some random poitn in time, but I mostly bought it because I plan on sharing it with quite a few friends.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 06:50:44 AM »
While it looks interesting and from hearing good things about it from my friend, sadly I think I will wait until this game is marked down in price. A lot.  ;)

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »
So I finished it. Definitely adds a nice little inshight into parts of the series. Overall really glad I played through it. The light side ending definitely had Cheese-Factor-5 engaged, but what are you gonna do?

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 10:18:36 PM »
I went back and decided I needed to get the dark side ending. About a 3.5 star rating on that one. I was intrigued in how it played out, but overall seemed too regurgitated. However, the reason for my post about a bad ending comes from what happened during the credits. Somehow empty house + 11pm + still hyper = weird "outtake" dialogues.

Here is George Lucas posing as a Military Officer praising the Dark Side ending:

Lucas: (Talking to himself) I think this ending really gives this game the feeling it needed. Give our target audience the fulfillment of my...I mean their dreams. And most importantly, it excellently displays our use of Cheese-Factor-5.

Tech: Sir, you know that isn't a real technique right?

Lucas: (Not paying attention) And it took every little goldfish here make it happen. (Starts stroking an invisible pet goldfish).

Tech: ...the techs really don't like being called goldfish.

Lucas: Little goldfish, swimming around in their little bowls. Little world made all pretty just for them. Tiny plastic plant there. Wavy tree here. Green and pretty.

Tech: I thought you said plants in the cubicles were too distracting?

Lucas: Maybe even a little diver guy down there...(Just finally noticing the tech) Why do they call them Diver Guys?

Tech: Wrong anatomy to be a Diver Girl?

Lucas: They don't move. They just sit there at the bottom. How can you be a diver when you already dove. There is no diving happening! Why, you'd have to be a Dover Guy. 

Tech: Dover Guy. Right.

Lucas: Doesn't really roll of the tongue though. Could be our next big series...or maybe the name of a fruit salad.

Tech: Honestly, who are you?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 03:23:26 AM by MrPaperHandTurkey »

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 02:50:04 AM »
Ok so I played the game and I enjoyed the gameplay. I wasnt overall bad but you are all correct in the fact that you will probably never play it again. Not only that but If you sat down and played for a while you could beat it in not that long a time. So like I said it was fun while it lasted and thats about it. Im glad a friend lent it to me so i didnt have to buy it.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »
I'm just incredibly, incredibly angry that this wasn't a PC release.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 03:14:15 PM »
The PC crowd that follows LucasArts is pretty high. I usually prefer PC to console but I lucked out here. I understand your frustration and it is a shame LucasArts has officially said no PC version.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2008, 03:17:45 PM »
Lucasarts was not doing all that well financially (as amazing as that is), so they cut a lot of staff during the making of this game.  They didn't have the staff for a PC release.  It may get ported someday, who knows.  I personally like the game a lot, and feel there is a good amount of replayability, if only to complete it on the hardest level, get all the achievements, or to just decimate everyone with your maxed out force powers.  Throwing Tie fighters at storm troopers just doesn't get old for me.  It's good stress relief after a long hard day. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 05:25:45 PM »
Throwing Tie Fighters around was definitely awesome =). Since I have it for the PS3 and they didn't do a Trophy upgrade, I don't have the nifty need to wander around and touch everything...even though I did anyhow.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 05:34:46 PM »
If it does well enough it might get a PC release in the future. I hope so, even though I have a 360, I usually prefer to play games on my PC.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 10:42:28 PM »
If you found it easy, try playing it on Sith Master.  It is insanely hard.  I have to get it back from my brother so I can finish the last few achievements.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 03:10:02 PM »
*sigh*

I really want this game...Sadly I am poor and we are spending loads of money flying out to see in-laws this Christmas...so I may have to wait....
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.