Author Topic: halloween costumes  (Read 4070 times)

USNAVYAM08

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • there's always another secret
    • View Profile
halloween costumes
« on: October 29, 2008, 04:58:26 PM »
first off hello. i have been around these forums for a very long time but today i decided to make a user name a add some content here.

my fiance and myself are going to a halloween party as characters from the trilogy... my fiance is going as Vin, myself as March( inquisitor marsh)

i plan to post picture on the weekend and to get reactions and thoughts about the costumes... one thing though i have been having a very hard time finding a black Renaissance type shirt so i had to purchase a white one. anyone have any ideas on how to make it look a bit age and ragged?
there's always another secret
Arizona Cardinals 4-3
Phoenix Suns 2-1

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
Re: halloween costumes
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 09:02:07 PM »
i plan to post picture on the weekend and to get reactions and thoughts about the costumes... one thing though i have been having a very hard time finding a black Renaissance type shirt so i had to purchase a white one. anyone have any ideas on how to make it look a bit age and ragged?

You can get fabric dyes from grocery stores (in the laundry isle). You can dye it black or yellow I think, and if you follow the washing machine instructions it makes it look more washed out (the dye doesn't set as well as when you use the stovetop method). Good luck!
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 10:17:04 PM »
Or you could just let your dog play with the shirt, assuming you have one (a dog, I mean).  ;D  Or, I wonder if using coarse sandpaper would help degrade the material. Hmm. You could probably find something about "weathering" fabric with a google search.

What I'm dying to know is how you will get the big spikes in your cranium without becoming a Halloween fatality. ;) I was thinking how shops sell those arrows or blades that are connected to a headband thing, so it looks like you've been stabbed in the head. I wonder if they have that sort of thing for spikes...
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 12:07:12 AM »
If they have spikes...DO SHARE.  I want to go Hemalurgic one of these Halloweens.

I wonder how half-naked and pierced by fake metal spikes would go over with my friends?  Note...I'm female technically so this would look REALLY interesting.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2008, 04:17:09 AM »
Actually, the Inquisitors don't go around bare-chested. They wear tunics, hiding the spikes in their torsos--and for good reasons, which of course I can't tell ya because it would spoil reading the books. I'm not sure if you got the half-naked idea from one of inkthinker's sketches or something. Aaaanyhow, just the spikes through the eye sockets would be a tricky yet awesome thing to mimic in a costume.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 04:19:52 AM by Dr. Shrainkenstein »
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2008, 04:57:42 AM »
Ever since I read Mistborn I've wanted to try making a mistcloak for Halloween... I don't think anyone else would really know who I was supposed to be, but it would still be cool.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures of your costume though!
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 11:23:04 AM »
Ever since I read Mistborn I've wanted to try making a mistcloak for Halloween... I don't think anyone else would really know who I was supposed to be, but it would still be cool.

Looking forward to seeing those pictures of your costume though!

No one knowing is the best situation you can be in! Think of all the people who don't know about Mistborn that you can entice to go out and get the books.  ;)

Oh, and please do post the pictures once it's all over!

USNAVYAM08

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 04:18:35 PM »
thanks for the tips however i figured out a way to make it look ash covered and such.

so i was thinking hey  ash is falling all over the place all day in the books so what i did was i got a bunch of paper and such put it in my fire pit and had a nice little fire going. after the embers were out i took the ashes put them in a garbage bag and threw the shirt in there also. shook the bag up and wow the results are amazing. it looks just about exactly how i picture the characters clothes!

also i spray painted my Axe( had purchased a silver ask from a halloween store) black it looks awesome.. obsidian looking. spray painted my fiances daggers black( although they dont look much like obsidian but they will have to do) do to time contsraints she had to go with a black cloak but it seems to work . the vin she is bieng is when she fights shan at the ball or how i think of it.

sometime tommorow pictures will go up. we are still thinkg of how to do my eyes considering i dont want spikes through them. and also im not putting spikes on the shirt ... i have a large overcoat im wearing also.
Arizona Cardinals 4-3
Phoenix Suns 2-1

USNAVYAM08

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 06:20:30 PM »
Or you could just let your dog play with the shirt, assuming you have one (a dog, I mean).  ;D  Or, I wonder if using coarse sandpaper would help degrade the material. Hmm. You could probably find something about "weathering" fabric with a google search.

What I'm dying to know is how you will get the big spikes in your cranium without becoming a Halloween fatality. ;) I was thinking how shops sell those arrows or blades that are connected to a headband thing, so it looks like you've been stabbed in the head. I wonder if they have that sort of thing for spikes...

actually i did have an idea for the spikes... glasses i was going to take the lenses out create some pikes and glue them to glasses... but i just didnt have the time.. i was given liek a 2 day notice that i was going to a halloween party which is tonight.. so the spikes will have to wait till next year( we want to try again next year with some advanced planning.)
Arizona Cardinals 4-3
Phoenix Suns 2-1

USNAVYAM08

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 11:59:33 PM »
ok so we did the face tattoos. not quite how i wanted them but it works for today... we are attending another party tommorow so i get another shot to make them smaller and add more detail... ill post pictures of the costumes later tonight or tommorow....

Arizona Cardinals 4-3
Phoenix Suns 2-1

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 02:17:15 AM »
Going along with what Dr. Shrainkenstein said about the arrows you can buy at the store. Im sure you could work something out with some wire to make it look like spikes were coming out of the back of your scull. I know you wouldnt have anything in your eyes but it would at least add to the effect. I hope your fiance brought some coins in a pouch for effect. It would be funny if later during the party she went around throwing coins at everyone.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 03:29:48 AM »
Looks cool, Navy man.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »
Actually, the Inquisitors don't go around bare-chested. They wear tunics, hiding the spikes in their torsos--and for good reasons, which of course I can't tell ya because it would spoil reading the books. I'm not sure if you got the half-naked idea from one of inkthinker's sketches or something. Aaaanyhow, just the spikes through the eye sockets would be a tricky yet awesome thing to mimic in a costume.

Well...the half naked was really more my input - wanting to show off some spikes (probably what the artists were going for too).  I think it would look awesome, unfortunately it'd probably also get me arrested.

USNAVYAM08

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Arizona Cardinals 4-3
Phoenix Suns 2-1

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 07:18:30 AM »
You look more like an Obligator than an Inquisitor.  You forgot the red line though.  Her outfit is uh . . . . something Vin would kill to NOT wear.

My favorite parts were the ax and the mist cloak, it would be like perfect if it had more layers but it still looks good.

All in all good Allomancer/Obligator, but not a Vin/Marsh.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。