Author Topic: HoA Ebook?  (Read 1630 times)

cyberblade

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
HoA Ebook?
« on: October 26, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »
I've looked online and can't find HoA in a non proprietary ebook format*... If I'm going to read it on my computer it has to be in pdf or similar, or something I can convert from easily.

Does anyone know where I can buy it? Otherwise I'll be stuck waiting until I can get it from my local library. And I hate having to deal with physical books...

*I've only seen it available for the Kindle and Mobipocket so far.

mildred

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: HoA Ebook?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:02:14 AM »
I don't know. But as you, I'd like to know if there is a way to get PDF ebooks.

I really enjoy reading hardcover books, but in the meantime, I can't always travel with all the books I love. So I'm currently forced to choose only few of them. Having all of them on my computer would be really helpful for times when I'm not at my parents' home (where I have my personal library) and I search for references in those books.

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:16:04 PM »
I've long been a lurker - if I recall, last time I saw a post on this sort of thing...

The only book in .PDF format from Mistborn is "The Final Empire" - that was distributed free by Tor a few months ago as part of the launch of their new website.

I don't think that WoA or HoA were ever done as .PDF or similar.  I've seen a lot of people asking.  My understanding is that the publishers and distributors believed there "just wasn't demand"...because, you know, we ALL want identical hardcovers!  Yes, I love hardcovers...I also like having a PDF to run searches on for terms or names and references.

cyberblade

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »
I've long been a lurker - if I recall, last time I saw a post on this sort of thing...

The only book in .PDF format from Mistborn is "The Final Empire" - that was distributed free by Tor a few months ago as part of the launch of their new website.

I don't think that WoA or HoA were ever done as .PDF or similar.  I've seen a lot of people asking.  My understanding is that the publishers and distributors believed there "just wasn't demand"...because, you know, we ALL want identical hardcovers!  Yes, I love hardcovers...I also like having a PDF to run searches on for terms or names and references.

Well, the publishers may think that... And they may be right for most people. I don't buy something I can't take with me when I move (and I move a lot). The only books I own in hardcover are some nice coffee table ones. I prefer reading on a screen, much easier on my eyes and much more practical for me.

It's still not in my library, so I may sit at Borders to read it... If/when it comes out in pdf or similar I'll buy the series. Until then it's not worth it to me.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2008, 12:22:41 AM »
whoah its easier for your eyes when you read on the screen? I've always found its the opposite. My eyes start to water when I stare at a computer screen too long...but then I have contacts for my vision, so that might explain it...
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

cyberblade

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 12:57:51 AM »
whoah its easier for your eyes when you read on the screen? I've always found its the opposite. My eyes start to water when I stare at a computer screen too long...but then I have contacts for my vision, so that might explain it...

Since LCD's I've enjoyed computer screens more than print. It's always clear and bright... With a book it's not as defined, and you have to make sure there are lights on, and if you move the shadows shift... I realize it's a personal preference. So I make no claim as to it being easier for everyone. But of the 8 books I've read for fun in the last month only one has been print (that was mistborn 2, as my library had it). Of the books I read for work/professionally they're all online as well (safaribooksonline.com). I really wish TOR could do something similar for all of their books-I'd gladly pay a subscription...

I wear glasses, I gave up on contacts because I usually spend 16 hours a day in front of a computer screen. Contacts only last me about 8 hours, plus the annoyance of having to put them in and take them out...

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2008, 02:09:06 AM »
I would love all of the books I have read to be on PDF. Not because I like reading on a screen better but for the reference factor alone. It would be so much easier to look into something if I could word search and only look at the sections including what im looking for. Dont get me wrong I take a sick pleasure in slowly building my own personal collection of books at home but PDFs would be an awesome addition.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 03:26:24 AM »
cyberblade, do you read a lot of Baen books? Many of their books are available in all types of unprotected electronic format. They also periodically release a CD in the back of a new hardback that has dozens (if not hundreds) of free backlist titles on it. They have found that this is a great way to get people to buy new books—hook 'em on backlist and they'll gladly pay for more.

I believe that Tor, with its tor.com experiments, is moving more in this direction, but it won't happen all at once.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 12:44:01 PM »
Good call Ook. I just found their on-line library with tons of free e-books on it the other day. I downloaded like ten and just printed them at work. What im reading so far is pretty good so I cant complain.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"