Author Topic: Halo 3 Recon  (Read 3426 times)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Halo 3 Recon
« on: October 22, 2008, 12:56:18 AM »
Ok so if you still play Halo 3 on-line then you know what this is to some degree. For those of you who don't know Bungie is in the process of creating a new game based on the halo world. It is a FPS and is supposed to take place between Halo2 and Halo3. You do not play as the Master Chief but as a Recon Marine. Now I for one have been a Halo player since day 1 with Halo Combat Evolved. I was not a Halo2 enthusiast, I thought the gameplay was horrible and to rough. The dual wielding wasnt perfected yet and the weapons were sub-standard. Halo 3 corrected all of my problems and effectively combined the positives of both Halos 1 & 2. Now this new game will most likely be based of the same game play as Halo 3 seeing how it is part of the name. I have some draw backs as not playing as Master Chief because who knows what kind of handicap that will place on the player. I figured I would start this thread to open up the discussion. I've noticed that most gamers on TWG are not so console friendly so this may die fast but who knows.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Halo 3 Recon
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 02:05:11 AM »
It sounds interesting. I too have played Halo since Combat Evolved, but then again, I've been playing Bungie since Marathon, so yeah.  ;)

Not playing as Master Chief will be interesting. To be honest, my favorite levels in the Halo series were when I was playing as the Arbiter.  8)

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 02:09:48 AM »
You blasphemer. You know that some of the best levels ever were in Halo 1. I mean honestly tell me that Two Betrayals in Halo 1 wasn't one of the best levels in any video game ever. You get banshee fights and massive level scale with countless enemies and every good weapon the game had to offer. Don't get me wrong the Arbiter was cool and a great way to advance the storyline but come on. The Master Chief is the man. It may be interesting though I do agree with that.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »
Don't get me wrong, MC is pimp, but I guess I have a thing for noble, honorable  warrior aliens.  ;D

To me, the best level was at the end of Gravemind (Halo 2) when you get to the Mausoleum of the Arbiter and you have to fight off the Brutes, Elites and Hunters in an epic standoff all while the instrumental version of Breaking Benjamin's "Blow Me Away" is blasting. So amazing.

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 02:25:25 PM »
The thing that made Halo 3 worth it was how they ended it with *SPOILER* the same Halo that the first one took place on.

Storming the control room, one last time, is still bone chillingly awesome.

Recon, however, looks to be exactly what I wished Halo 2 would've been. Kicking the covenants collective behind on Earth, and I think the twist of not playing as the chief might have the same effect as playing as Raiden in MGS2. While I hate Raiden, while I will never play MGS2 again because of Raiden, he did accomplish the goal of using that character; to make Snake look even cooler than he already was. So perhaps this is Bungie's way to make the Chief look even more like the BAMF he is.

And the element of choosing the battles you take a part of seems pretty good. :D
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 03:25:34 PM »
I hope it will be more tactical than Halo 3.  After all, you won't have the luxury of shielded MJOLNIR armor, nor will you be a superhuman, so I imagine just running out into a group of Covenant won't end well for you.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:20:39 PM »
I hope it will be more tactical than Halo 3.  After all, you won't have the luxury of shielded MJOLNIR armor, nor will you be a superhuman, so I imagine just running out into a group of Covenant won't end well for you.

Yeah, I'm guessing they might make the gameplay like Gears of War, but in first person. Maybe throw in a MGS sneak style as well.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 06:45:48 PM »
it looks interesting, but so short!! Designers are expecting it to be 3-5 hours of gameplay!
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 06:51:39 PM »
That does seem extremely short...

Hopefully Bungie will do what they do best to make up for lack of storyline-driven game play: multiplayer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2008, 07:18:26 PM »
I have a feeling that the multiplayer will be similar to an expansion to halo3. I mean the game is called halo3 recon right. They would probably open new armor maps maybe a couple of weapons and things of that nature only available with recon.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 04:30:55 AM »
See I don't get why it's called Halo 3 Recon when it supposedly takes place between 2 and 3. Should just be called Halo: Recon, imo.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 02:02:31 PM »
Probably because it is based off the same gameplay. Like the changes they made from 2 to 3 will still be in effect for the most part. I don't know for sure but I would assume that is the reason and who knows if they will keep that name. Im just happy that Bungie is releasing a Halo game and not waiting the seemingly required 3 to 4 years in between. I know these games take a long time but come on now.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2008, 10:37:08 PM »
This will also be the first title they release as an independant developer (although I'm sure there is residual M$ involvement) so it will be interesting to see the results.  I haven't been playing H3 for a while now, but I still like the game.  I am more of a COD4 guy, and am trying to re-learn Gears of War.  If you guys want to play, my GT is darxbane.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 11:12:41 PM »
I still play a lot of Halo3, its still my favorite FPS (next to Halo1). I dont play much COD4 but I have started playing COD World at War and I like it a lot. I will also be getting Gears of War 2 in a couple of days but I never played the first one so it might take me a while to get used to it. Im down for playing, my GT is: GREENMONSTA187