Author Topic: Dvorak  (Read 4270 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Dvorak
« on: October 06, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »
So, today, in between classes I took about an hour and a half and took all of the buttons off my laptop and changed them to the Dvorak layout.  Then I changed my keymap so that they matched.  So I am currently typing quite slowly considering I have very little idea where the keys are at. LOL

So basically I was wondering if anyone else used the Dvorak layout.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Re: Dvorak
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2008, 10:08:35 PM »
Nope. Never even had the slightest inkling of wanting to switch. Qwerty man here, through and through (and i'm too lazy to switch)

....Qwerty man....sounds like an awesome super hero to me!
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 01:20:23 AM »
ha ha

That it does.  I am liking it and learning the switch isn't as hard as I thought it would be.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 04:34:17 AM »
I used it for a couple years but got out of the habit when I was using a lot of different computer lab computers. Also, people who tried to use my computer would get upset.

Dvorak has one failing I noticed: The : and / keys are too far away from each other, which made typing :// annoying. Of course, nowadays you don't need to type that for browsers to know where you're going.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 04:43:29 AM »
although, I must admit, I've always had a small desire to try out a frogpad.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 05:25:47 AM »
I used it for a couple years but got out of the habit when I was using a lot of different computer lab computers. Also, people who tried to use my computer would get upset.

Dvorak has one failing I noticed: The : and / keys are too far away from each other, which made typing :// annoying. Of course, nowadays you don't need to type that for browsers to know where you're going.
I think that part of the point was that you alternate hands a let which is supposed to increase speed.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 06:36:39 AM »
Yes, I know, but it's a much simpler combination in QWERTY in terms of finger movement than it is in Dvorak. It takes two fingers to type in QWERTY and...okay, I guess it only takes the same two fingers in Dvorak too, but you have to move them a lot more. Of course, I do agree with it being ridiculous that the : is on a home key in QWERTY since it's so irregularly used, so the Dvorak layout for the right pinky almost always makes more sense. Typing :// is just the exception to the rule.

Oh, also, I was gonna say that I disagree with Dvorak's placement of “ ” ‘ ’ (on macs, using the option key)...except that I disagree with their placement in QWERTY as well. Oops! I should roll my own keyboard layouts.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 06:39:53 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Loud_G

• Level 11
  • Drawer of Dragons
    • View Profile
    • George the Dragon
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 03:39:53 PM »
I've been thinking about trying Dvorak on my home computer (I've got an old keyboard that I could mangle :) )

I never really learned to type very fast, so the learning process probably wouldn't be too bad for me :)
George the Dragon   <---- My webcomic. 

WARNING:
Features a very silly dragon. Hilarity MAY ensue.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 04:26:55 PM »
Yes, I know, but it's a much simpler combination in QWERTY in terms of finger movement than it is in Dvorak. It takes two fingers to type in QWERTY and...okay, I guess it only takes the same two fingers in Dvorak too, but you have to move them a lot more. Of course, I do agree with it being ridiculous that the : is on a home key in QWERTY since it's so irregularly used, so the Dvorak layout for the right pinky almost always makes more sense. Typing :// is just the exception to the rule.

Oh, also, I was gonna say that I disagree with Dvorak's placement of “ ” ‘ ’ (on macs, using the option key)...except that I disagree with their placement in QWERTY as well. Oops! I should roll my own keyboard layouts.

That would be pretty intense.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »

Oh yeah.  That was frustrating. 
~금강산도 식후경~

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 10:28:19 PM »
On Mac OS X, it's very easy to make your own keyboard layout, especially if all you're doing is switching a couple letters. I'm not sure about on Windows.

You know what I mean about “ ” ‘ ’ though, right? “ and ” are on the option-[ and option-{ keys, and ‘ and ’ are on the option-] and option-} keys. Instead, ‘ and ’ should be on option-[ and option-] and “ and ” should be on option-{ and option-}. That would only make sense.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 12:11:36 AM »
On Mac OS X, it's very easy to make your own keyboard layout, especially if all you're doing is switching a couple letters. I'm not sure about on Windows.

You know what I mean about “ ” ‘ ’ though, right? “ and ” are on the option-[ and option-{ keys, and ‘ and ’ are on the option-] and option-} keys. Instead, ‘ and ’ should be on option-[ and option-] and “ and ” should be on option-{ and option-}. That would only make sense.
Yeah that would make a let more sense.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 12:50:47 AM »
Of course it made more of a difference before Microsoft programmed smart quotes into Word. Then again, maybe you never knew a version of Word that didn't have smart quotes. :)

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 06:36:01 PM »
I clicked on this topic thinking it was about a composer.  You learn something new every day.
He ate my horse.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 06:42:02 PM »
Ha ha ha ha.  That's great.

Ook, I remember having a Windows two machine so I totally hear you. ha ha.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。