Author Topic: Warbreaker Acknowledgements Page (Do you Belong on it?)  (Read 3296 times)

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Warbreaker Acknowledgements Page (Do you Belong on it?)
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:21:55 PM »
Folks,

I'm doing the copyedit of Warbreaker--and many of you know what that means.  Time for Acknowledgements.

If you did a read through of one of the versions and gave me substantial comments (more than just a "Hey, I liked this character" or a "you missed this typo") then post in this thread, reminding me of why you belong on it.  Please also give me the name you'd like me to use.  I'll be checking this against the emails I've gotten or the posts in the original Warbreaker commentary thread. 

Most of all, I'm looking for those of you who were involved during the drafting of Warbreaker.  It's been a while, and I just don't have the time to read through that entire thread and see who I need to put in the acknowledgements.

Brandon
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker Acknowledgements Page (Do you Belong on it?)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »
You mentioned in November 2006 (here) that you'd already started writing an acknowledgements page; do you still have that?

I gave some chapter-by-chapter comments and an overall summation similar to my usual ones, but didn't do any line edits. I'm not sure how much you read my comments, though, since you asked me at Worldcon if I had read Warbreaker at all (or something like that, to my dismay).

Peter Ahlstrom, as usual.

[EDIT: Note: I believe that there are a number of people who gave substantive feedback during the chapter posting process who haven't been visiting the forum recently.]
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:37:21 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

dawncawley

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:46:29 AM »
If you still have the acknowledgment page that you started for the final couple of drafts, you already have my name on there. But, just in case you don't, Dawn Cawley is the name I would prefer was used. I was a frequent poster and contributor during the first few drafts of Warbreaker :) Thanks again for the opportunity to be so involved in the process Brandon. It was a blast.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 05:01:30 AM »
I was part of the discussions when the chapters were originally being released weekly, and you said at one of the signings (My brain is telling me it was the WoA release party) that it would be included.  If you do deem me worthy I'd like it as Mi'chelle Trammel.

Either way, thanks for letting us read it.  It really was a blast.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »
I was reading and posting around March - July 07, before I moved and disappeared for almost a year (wow... didn't realize it'd been that long...)

Matthew R Carlin, if that's enough. :)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2008, 01:36:41 AM »
I started giving feedback early on. I don't know if you already have me down.

Jeffrey Creer
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2008, 02:07:22 AM »
You'll have to review my suggestions to see if they are achnowledgement worthy.

Ollie Tabooger

Shhh, shhh.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

howtobrew

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
I got started somewhat later, at version 3 or 4 I believe, and sent you a couple emails suggesting more description of the city and geography to better orient the reader. And I had some suggestions for the tone of the repartee between Lightsong and Blushweaver, and finally caught the Vasher/Denth typo. All of which I believe helped firm your convictions of where you didn't want the book to go. Glad I could help.  ;)

John Palmer

Miriel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 12:14:32 AM »
I'm on the list already under my screen name here for commenting during the rough draft, though I'd prefer my real name -- Megan Hutchins.  Thanks for posting this -- I enjoyed reading it, seeing the changes, and learning about writing while reading something great.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2008, 12:36:54 AM »
I don't know that my comments were very helpful ::), but I sent a few pages of suggestions and my reactions to characters and events. I think it was on 4.2. I also responded to your question about Lightbringer when you were deciding whether or not his part in the book should be reduced.

Izzy Whiting
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

henrikn

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 11:06:17 AM »
I mailed (Jul 29, Aug 11, Aug 12) 80 or so typo corrections + some thoughts.

Henrik Nyh
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 11:08:12 AM by henrikn »

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »
All of these look good to me.  You're all on, and thank you for the suggestions and proofreading. 

Ookla, I can never keep track of what I send you and what I don't.  I'm almost convinced you've read books of mine I haven't even written yet.  I tend to get suggestions, copy and paste them into my "look at this when your revise next" and then forget where they came from.  I really need to start pasting people's names in the Acknowledgements right then...
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 04:36:26 PM »
By the way, just in case it wasn't obvious, Ollie Tabooger should not be on that list since it is a joke name from the Simpsons.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.