Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3  (Read 13305 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3
« Reply #75 on: October 03, 2008, 06:35:00 PM »
I like how Elend called Vin one of his armies, but seriously, if Elend is stronger than Vin, he needs to train more so he can be as tough as she is, it's kinda silly having to rely on the skills of someone weaker than yourself to keep you alive, Elend was taking on 1 or 2 Koloss at a time, Vin took 10 or more on at once.

Raw power isn't experience or aptitude.  Elend can sooth all of the Koloss just by pushing, but he had to be taught the technique.

In any case, his emotionally Allomancy may have ended up actually killing more Koloss than Vin.  By keeping his army brave, he was strengthening his own little army which had a lot more on its hands than Vin did.  A politician with Allomancy is a dangerous person indeed.
Nature hates being reified.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 03, 2008, 06:38:13 PM »
I like how Elend called Vin one of his armies, but seriously, if Elend is stronger than Vin, he needs to train more so he can be as tough as she is, it's kinda silly having to rely on the skills of someone weaker than yourself to keep you alive, Elend was taking on 1 or 2 Koloss at a time, Vin took 10 or more on at once.

Raw power isn't experience or aptitude.  Elend can sooth all of the Koloss just by pushing, but he had to be taught the technique.

In any case, his emotionally Allomancy may have ended up actually killing more Koloss than Vin.  By keeping his army brave, he was strengthening his own little army which had a lot more on its hands than Vin did.  A politician with Allomancy is a dangerous person indeed.
I'd still prefer to annoy Elend than Vin...

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2008, 12:05:49 AM »
Comfortable Madness, I was speaking of the two main types of attacks, as I see them, the emotional or mental attacks, and the physical attacks. Vin is better physically, in the way she fights compared to Elend and the way he fights, not what her mindset is, because as you said, she is settled and calm there. And as Vin pointed out, and as others mentioned, Elend is better with the emotional or mental side, of Allomancy, than Vin is. His soothing/rioting, or pushing/pulling on emotions, is better than Vin could probably ever be, because  he is a different kind of Allomancer than she is. They complement each other. He with the emotions and her with the physical, as a team they will be very hard to beat, as was shown in that battle. I hope that cleared up my point, and thanks for showing me that I worded it poorly the first time.

And I agree whole-heartedly Happyman, a politician with Allomancy would be a very dangerous person.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 05:54:26 AM »
She's really good with emotional allomancy as well; she's done it all her life; that was her "luck." But emotional allomancy is about subtlety as often as it is about power. LTR didn't have to be subtle, because he was ridiculously powerful. Vin has the subtlety.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 07:12:39 AM »
This first quote shows that Vin is acknowledging Elend's power being greater than her own.

He's so powerful! Vin thought, watching the surprised Inquisitor fall. Elend was no ordinary Allomancer--he might not have learned perfect control yet, but when he flared his metals and Pushed, he could really Push.

This second one, if she had been able to do what Elend did, or help him to accomplish it faster than he did on his own, don't you think she would have? The battle was over, she could just as easily have helped him soothe the Koloss and taken control of some of them herself. They are as one, the same purpose, it could have only been a good thing if she had. The point here, I think, is to show how powerful Elend's emotional Allomancy is, which it does, very well. She states outright that TLR was stronger than her, or Kel, and this is thousands of Koloss, not just a square full of people. A task that I think would be more than just a little bit more impressive, and more difficult. To me it shows that his power is extraordinary, not just a bit more than Vin's. Don't take this to mean that I think he is better than Vin, I don't. Just different. But, this is just  as I see it. I'm sure it reads a bit differently to others. The great thing about books is that they are interpretive, and can be viewed differently by different people.

The emperor turned away from the dying Inquisitor, and she could see the look of concentration on his face. Once, Vin had seen the Lord Ruler affect an entire city square full of people with his emotional Allomancy. He had been stronger than she was; far stronger--even--than Kelsier.

She couldn't see Elend burn duralumin, then zinc, but she could feel it. Feel him pressing on her emotions as he sent out a general wave of power, Soothing thousands of koloss at once. They all stopped fighting. In the distance, Vin could make out the haggard remnants of Elend's army, standing in a exhausted circle of bodies. Ash continued to fall. It rarely stopped, these days.

The koloss lowered their weapons. Elend had won.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:16:31 AM by dawncawley »

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2008, 10:26:51 PM »
I agree wit happy man, we already know Vin is VERY good and VERY subtle with her emotional allomancy, especiallly from her manipulation of straff in book 2.  Elend has power, but not the same subtley as Vin.  He DOES however understand emotional allomancy more than he understands the physical allomancy.  If you read his viewpoint, he's not using subtely though, he jsut giving the army the emotions they need to fight,

And Vin was soothing Koloss too, if you notice, she started before Elend did.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2008, 03:27:54 PM »
As for who is writing the bumps. I would suggest looking at the sentence structure and the style. Does it sound like Alendi, Rashek, TLR after taking the power, or someone else who has some knowledge of Ruin and Preservation. Think.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
Well,  EUOL's latest annotation stated that the Terris characters would all have similar sentence structure.  So if the bumps match the Terris way a speaking, then that would make a stronger case for Rashek, but could also be Kwaan or even Sazed.  I am sure someone here would be willing to put the bumps from MB3 next to some bumps from MB2 and see if there is a similarity.  If it does not fit the Terris speech patterns, then Rashek is ruled out. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »
I'm going with Rashek until the book tells me otherwise. ...I have this horrible feeling that there is some huge twist relating to that.

I can't wait :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2008, 07:30:07 PM »
Doesn't some summary somewhere, say something about Elend following clues left by the Lord Ruler?  That makes a strong case for Rashek being the bump writer, the bumps always get discovered by the characters, and are part of the story, I don't buy the whole future bumps thing.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2008, 07:53:15 PM »
Maybe Statlin City had TLR's journal.  I wonder why Elend and Vin didn't have Atium to use against the Inq.  I would imagine they would have acquired the stash that Straff had left, even if they didn't find TLR's storehouse.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2008, 07:55:38 PM »
They've been fighting the Inquisitors for about ayear, they probably used up any that they had found or they discovered the reason that kandra collect Atium and it is too important to burn...
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2008, 08:28:30 PM »
I would think their lack of atium was due to the general lack of atium. It seems that they never found any stockpile or they would have had some with them. Its possable that they dont want to use it because of the Kandra but whats more imoptant than your life? I have a feeling that atium usage is going to drop alot in this book and the unknown metals will have more of an impact.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2008, 09:16:22 PM »
Or they're saving what little atium they got from straff, and off Zane's body, for a time when they need to fight many people without atium, it seems a waste to use atium only to protect yourself from others with atium now that they have electrum to do that.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier