Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3  (Read 13304 times)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 06:30:18 AM »
I do much the same thing. That's probably why it happened, actually.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 06:56:48 AM »
I think the Inquisitor was planning on killing El and stealing his power. Life force. Whatever. My theory is still that Hemalurgy takes the raw power that the sacrifice has and gives it to the Inq. That's why they tend to start out as Seekers; they already have Allomancy in their blood, so give them more power and they have the powers of a Mistborn. Give them more life in general and they heal faster. Sacrifice Keepers, and they can start accessing Feruchemy. Though where he got the spike from is anyone's guess. And why didn't Elend push it out of his hand? Or Vin? If it was metal...

El is stronger, makes sense, foreshadowed a lot already. And we can all see that Vin was a zillion times better and faster at killing Kolloss than Elend was. She has crazy mad fighting skills.

And for all we know, the writings could be the future, and/or they could even be Vin. She did hold the power and could have had that much insight. There's even foreshadowing of this in the books, when she's studying and such.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2008, 07:54:36 AM »
Okay, I just found a typo in this sample chapter. Second to last paragraph (Bolded the error, obviously):

She couldn't see Elend burn duralumin, then zinc, but she could feel it. Feel him pressing on her emotions as he sent out a general wave of power, Soothing thousands of koloss at once. They all stopped fighting. In the distance, Vin could make out the haggard remnants of Elend's army, standing in a exhausted circle of bodies. Ash continued to fall. It rarely stopped, these days.

Brass. Not Zinc, brass. Man, that original MB1 Ars Arcanum must just screw Brandon up all the time.

It's unfortunate... the book probably already went to press and it's too late to change it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2008, 08:36:11 AM »
Misspelled "shearing", too, but I'm not sure this is final copy anyhow. We'll know when the book comes out, I guess.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »
I noticed the error in metal as well, oh well it happens, it will probably be fixed for the paper back.
Maybe the inquisitors got the spike form within himslef, and had it peircing a less important place, only it says it was longer than the ones used, maybe it came from one of the koloss?

When I said that bit about Elend and Vin fighting inquisitors and koloss before, I meant inqs without the steel back plate, the inquisitors probably developed this plate because Vin and Elend were killing so many of their number.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2008, 08:13:25 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure you're right.  About that plate, though, it's made of metal, right?  Then why didn't Vin already know it was there, by its blue lines?  And why wasn't it seen as a liability in Allomantic fights?  Couldn't Vin or Elend have duralumin-pushed on the Inquisitor's armor to send him flying?  And if Inquisitors are somehow too strong to worry about that, why do they still carry obsidian axes (instead of metal)?  My only guess is that these protective plates pierce the Inquisitors somewhere, so that they can't be affected by regular Allomancy.
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2008, 08:28:52 PM »
That's what I think, either that or it's connected to the spike it is protecting, and as long as any piece of the metal contacts blood, it greatly reduces the effectiveness of steel and/or iron.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
It's definitely attached to the body like jewelry or spikes, which are invisible to allomantic senses under normal circumstances.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2008, 11:10:15 PM »
Ive got a question about inquisitors. Do they age? In the books it said there are only a few of them at a time before TLR died but they were looking for more obligators that were mistings like marsh.If they  do age is  there some kind of retirement home for old inquisitors or do they maybe throw themselves into a volcano when they get to old.

Omelethead

• Level 5
  • The Member Formerly Known as Gher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 02, 2008, 09:39:16 PM »
To the comment above me, or to bhthomas if someone posts before I do ;): Inquisitors do age, or at least, they die of old age. I guess they might stay the same age until they die, but I doubt it.

And in normal times (meaning before Kelsier's crew messed everything up) I bet that an old Inquisitor would be used to make new Inquisitors. Pound the spike through the old one, you know?

Oh, and as for the chapter: WOW. That is all.

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 02, 2008, 11:41:12 PM »
I like how Elend called Vin one of his armies, but seriously, if Elend is stronger than Vin, he needs to train more so he can be as tough as she is, it's kinda silly having to rely on the skills of someone weaker than yourself to keep you alive, Elend was taking on 1 or 2 Koloss at a time, Vin took 10 or more on at once.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »
Elend was never a warrior. He's a scholar. Vin grew up on the streets, so if anyone has a mentality for fighting and survival, she does. He has the power, but none of the inherent aptitude. Like Sazed. He can fight, can kill Koloss, but again, he's limited because fighting isn't a part of his life, normally.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2008, 08:31:37 AM »
Also, Vin has been training within her powers for much longer than Elend. Having a complementing mate, or even close comrade in arms, is a good thing, not considered depending on someone weaker, in my opinion. Meaning, he is better with the emotion part of being Mistborn, Vin is better with the physicality, due, as Qarlin mentioned, to their upbringing. At least that is what makes the most sense to me.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »
Also, Vin has been training within her powers for much longer than Elend. Having a complementing mate, or even close comrade in arms, is a good thing, not considered depending on someone weaker, in my opinion. Meaning, he is better with the emotion part of being Mistborn, Vin is better with the physicality, due, as Qarlin mentioned, to their upbringing. At least that is what makes the most sense to me.

On the contrary, after reading Vin's internal dialogue in this latest chapter it seems as though she is, mentally, in a place more suited to her talents. She now sees herself as the kingdom's blade. A blade to be wielded however the kingdom sees fit. One hell of a dangerous mindset for Vin's and Elend's enemies if you ask me.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:05:10 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

rjl

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 03, 2008, 04:35:43 PM »
Elend was never a warrior. He's a scholar. Vin grew up on the streets, so if anyone has a mentality for fighting and survival, she does. He has the power, but none of the inherent aptitude. Like Sazed. He can fight, can kill Koloss, but again, he's limited because fighting isn't a part of his life, normally.
This reminds me of Gohan from DBZ, most powerful character, but his mum wants him to be a scholar not a fighter...