Author Topic: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3  (Read 13334 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn 3 Chapter 3
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2008, 08:09:35 PM »
HOLY COW!!!!!

The epigraphs are Rashek, notice how he said it would take a millenia to learn to use the power, the final empire lasted one thousand years, until the next soming of the power, not a coincidence.

Vin is still awesome, Elend has more strength, but vin still does way more damage to all the koloss than elend did because of her super skills (which she learned crazily fast)

They have access to more keepers than they did back then, because the Synod came out into the open.

Vin is more powerful than Kelsier, he had trouble with eight (?) haze killers, in book two, Vin deals with many.

Those are some answers that I came up with for some questions in the thread.  I also don't like Elend being more powerful than Vin, I think that Spook's little bit about continually flaring metals is going to come into play, perhaps that's how the Lord Ruler got so powerful.

Question:  Where are the inquisitors getting all the skaa mistings, with which to fuel so many new inquisitors, we know they still have allomancy, but where do they get it.

Do they still have to be seekers first?

Man I can hardly wait, I hope there;s a fight scene, with Vin, Elend, and TenSoon working together that would be sweet (since he's obvious going against his contract anyways).

The way the chapter is set up makes it seem like Vin and Elend have done this a couple times before, with the inquisitor killing and all.

So, I'm liking the misting/feruchemist per spike theory more and more (who started that by the way), I never did like the lightning rod one, sorry.  But I also agree, we really know very little about hemalurgy.

And also I'm rereading the previous books, and I'm liking the two wells theory very much.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

SarahG

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2008, 08:19:32 PM »
Maybe it was Elend's beard that made him so strong. Hes got some kind of Samson hair strength going on.
What a great theory!  I don't think Miyabi will like it, though.

Question: Where are the inquisitors getting all the skaa mistings, with which to fuel so many new inquisitors, we know they still have allomancy, but where do they get it.

Do they still have to be seekers first?
It hasn't yet been established beyond doubt that they need skaa mistings, or that they have to be seekers.

I hope there;s a fight scene, with Vin, Elend, and TenSoon working together that would be sweet (since he's obvious going against his contract anyways).
I don't think TenSoon is the kind of guy who would say, "Well, I blew it once, might as well go all the way."  He still believes very strongly in the contract; it still takes a very special reason for him to break it.  Besides, I don't think the other kandra will let him get away very soon.  So I doubt we'll see him in a fight scene.  I'm not sure he'd be such an amazing warrior anyway - his skills tend in other directions.

The way the chapter is set up makes it seem like Vin and Elend have done this a couple times before, with the inquisitor killing and all.
Vin is surprised by the Inquisitor's back shield, though - so they must not have encountered one with a shield before.  I do agree that they've probably fought koloss together before.
He ate my horse.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2008, 08:45:43 PM »
Tensoon already broke his Contract when he helped Vin against Zane.  He also broke the rules of his Race by telling Vin of their weakness, so if he does somehow talk his way out of his sentence, I doubt he'll stay with the Kandra anymore.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
I think he still believes in the contract, though. He seems like the type that, even if he escapes or is released somehow, would still hold to the contract, even though everyone else considers him a traitor/oathbreaker.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2008, 09:05:18 PM »
I guess I just don't understand the fascination with Elend's strength compared to Vin's. Vin's strength has been noted but was never important through the books. She killed the Lord Ruler by drawing on the power of the mists, she killed Zane because she figured out how to counteract Atium, she commanded the Koloss because she figured out a secret that had been dormant for 1000 years, she figured out duralumin because she had the guts to put her life on the line every time a new mix needed testing. Any Mistborn could have burned the 11th metal, but would they figure out that The Lord Ruler was Rashek and then that he had metalminds on his arms, while struggling to stay alive? When the Inquisitor was about to kill Elend, who's strength saved his life?

She is a street smart bad arse because she grew up having to protect herself, instead of living a lifestyle of the rich and famous most Mistborn and Inquisitors enjoyed. Her physical strength pales in comparison to her inner strength, which is what you usually read the books for.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2008, 09:08:36 PM »
I think there will be no more contracts.  I think Tensoon is going to help at least some of the Kandra realize that there are some humans who are not so bad.  More importantly, he will bring to light the dangers of Ruin.  Either that, or news that Inquisitors are controlling Koloss, or even Kandra, will come in and the Kandra will be forced to join the fight with the good guys.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2008, 12:02:53 AM »
Here's a monkey wrench in the Mistings-required-for-Inquisitors theory: how do inquisitors burn Atium?  Are there Atium mistings, or are they nailing (ha ha) mistborn for that?  If so, then where are they getting their mistborn from?

(edited for spelling)
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2008, 01:39:24 AM »
I give up. I'll just wait two weeks and read it myself. Then bombard Brandon with Questions when he does come back to the boards.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2008, 01:59:47 AM »
I'm firmly befuddled with Hemalurgy. I, too, am content to wait. That's why you don't see me posting much.

Fourteen days, people.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

bhthomas

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2008, 02:07:05 AM »
I'm a little confused about how much time has passed since the end of book two any one have a close guess.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2008, 02:08:25 AM »
I'm looking forward to being around from the start of whatever he does next (I'm hoping Way of Kings). Then I can have theories that actually have had more than 5 months or so to develop.

And seriously, Chaos, I don't know how much longer we'll all last before this thread deteriorates into a bunch of mindless excitement. I'll probably have to stop posting the last week before just as a courtesy to everyone else.  

I'm a little confused about how much time has passed since the end of book two any one have a close guess.

A year. I know that's the unit of time, but I can't remember at all where I heard it. If anyone wants to remember where this info is, they can post it. But I'm almost positive it's a year.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2008, 02:31:36 AM »
Sanderson probably mentioned it in the annotations. Also it was the same amount of time between books one and two. Book one was about a year long and iirc book two was as well.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #57 on: October 01, 2008, 03:17:31 AM »
I'm looking forward to being around from the start of whatever he does next (I'm hoping Way of Kings). Then I can have theories that actually have had more than 5 months or so to develop.

And seriously, Chaos, I don't know how much longer we'll all last before this thread deteriorates into a bunch of mindless excitement. I'll probably have to stop posting the last week before just as a courtesy to everyone else.  

A year. I know that's the unit of time, but I can't remember at all where I heard it. If anyone wants to remember where this info is, they can post it. But I'm almost positive it's a year.

Actually, Andrew, I believe the Countdown thread will devolve into that. Once it gets to like T-2 days, every comment will be something like:

Tehehehehehehehehehhe!!!!! MB3 FTW!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 01, 2008, 03:22:21 AM »
Yeah, for some reason, I seemed to be under the impression I was in that thread. That's why the comment was directed at you, as you started that topic.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2008, 03:58:16 AM »
Way to keep it straight, man. I wouldn't be surprised if I made that mistake, though, because when I go on TWG I just start tabbing in all the topics that have new posts. That can get disorienting fast.