Author Topic: The Metal Lake  (Read 10345 times)

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
Re: The Metal Lake
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2008, 02:54:00 AM »
But there are only 16 metals, so if the fifteenth is the one that elend ate, the the sixteenth is the one trapping Ruin and or Preservation.  SO I think the metal in both the lake and the well are the same metal, and they are paired with the 15th metal.  There's nothing to suggest that they are different.  As I said before I also believe that Alendi's "lake," is what Vin thinks is the well of ascension in her time.  I think there are two wells.  And the mist spirit only guards one, the one that Ruin is in, so if Ruin is in the well Vin released, then he's in the one that the mist spirit guards, thus the "well," is the lake that Alendi sees.  In Alendi's time, the well of ascension was the other well, the one The Mist Spirit doesn't guard, and possibly the one that may now be located at or under Statlin city.  This may be where Preservation is/was.  I've said this all before.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2008, 05:27:27 AM »
I still think they are the same metal and that the 15th is the one Elend ate.  I don't think each "well" is a different metal. (Note: I claim all originality calling the lake a well. ROFL)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 05:29:17 AM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2008, 04:25:15 PM »
That's what I'm saying, that the well's are the same metal and the fifteenth is the one Elend ate.
Quote from me:

SO I think the metal in both the lake and the well are the same metal, and they are paired with the 15th metal

And actually Miyabi, technically I called it a well first, two posts before yours, but I also wasn't sure; I said what if, so you can claim the originality if you want.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier

Coof

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2008, 04:31:24 PM »
Coma your theory makes a lot of sense.

I think though that the metal that Elend ate would have to grant a lot of power, not just Allomancy. The metals so far seem to be balanced in what power they give. Sometimes the power is more useful in a general sense but they are balanced.

For this theory to make sense for me, elend would need to get as much power as Vin, or maybe the Lord Ruler. I mean the sixteenth metal traps a God! We didn't see any evidence of that in the second book yet that Elend is as powerful as TLR, but maybe he just didn't realize that he can use like Feruchemy and Hemalurgy yet.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2008, 06:39:56 PM »
But the metal and the well can't be the same, Alendi hadn't reached the well yet, although the description is earily similar.  What if... what we know as the well of ascension is something totally different.  What if there are two wells, and the other is still in the mountains?
KINDA!  But I called the Lake a Well first. :P ha ha.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you and disagreeing with the people saying that each Well was a different metal.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 07:00:07 PM »
I don't know... it seemed pretty clear to me that the metallic lake and the Well of Ascension are one in the same. Reading MB1 again after reading MB2, it seems a lot more rational. Brandon has said there is only one mist spirit, and the only one we see is the one which doesn't want anybody going to the Well of Ascension (as seen in MB2). If the metallic lake was the Well of Ascension, then this gives the mist spirit the motive to attack Fedik. The mist spirit wouldn't want it to free Ruin, and just touching the waters seems to automatically give you its power.

Otherwise, there's no motive for the mist spirit to attack Fedik.

Also, it's entirely possible Ookla is screwing with you, you know.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 07:08:54 PM »
Of course I am. But in what way?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2008, 07:48:13 PM »
In the way that you enjoy it far too much for me to be comfortable with.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2008, 03:24:25 AM »
In the way that he said something to get us a LITTLE closer to the truth, but then we jumped all the way to the right answer so he shut up. xP
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2008, 03:51:46 AM »
That or in the way that he said something to get us moving in the right direction and we went and jumped off a cliff. I tend to agree with chaos after re-evaluating my opinion. I suppose it still could work, but it makes more sense to have one lake, one well (the same thing, which I didn't catch).
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2008, 03:55:58 AM »
Yes, but then started calling them both "wells" for sake of the thought that they are similar things.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2008, 04:46:05 AM »
No, not like that there is one lake and one well, but that the one lake and the one well are the same thing.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Comatose

• Level 19
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2008, 04:10:50 AM »
But the lake and the well are separate, Alendi is being pulled to the 'well,' by the thumpings but he passes right by the lake.
- Dr. Horrible

- Kelsier