Author Topic: Characterization in Mistborn  (Read 4053 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Characterization in Mistborn
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 10:52:51 AM »
I don't think it's cheating.  It's not like we're actually writing the report ourselves.  It's more along the lines of telling a librarian the subject you're researching and them giving you the title of books that could help you.  *shrug*

As for the characterization situation, my advise is to also point out the clothing, and the way Vin changes when she wears different clothes.  That's a great example of different characterization, and how certian things can effect the way a character acts.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 06:20:49 PM »
Does anybody else here feel weird about helping Dangerbutton "cheat"? Whether he's cheating intentionally or not, we are doing his homework for him when we give him the passages and tell him how it is characterization. I'm not accusing anyone of helping him/her cheat intentionally; I'm just surprised that people actually responded to this.

I would not consider this cheating at all.  Hes going to use his own words to describe any of the passages I pointed out anyways.  Have you ever bought a pre-owned book at the university and all the most important passages were already highlighted for you?  I'm essentially tossing him my copy of Mistborn so he can read through it.  The things I wrote explaining why I think the passage can be considered characterization was more more two other posters, not for Danger (though, you are welcome to read through them if you are confused, Danger).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 10:23:43 PM »
I guess everybody here just has a looser definition of cheating than mine. If he were asking for suggestions on books with good characterization, then that would be okay, but actually giving him the passages goes a bit too far for me. When I'm writing a paper, my teachers expect me to 1)do the research myself, 2)examine the research to see how it will help in my paper, and 3)expand on it in the actual paper.

Maybe that's just my school and Dangerbutton did say he's looking at other books as well, but if his paper were just about Mistborn then you guys basically did #1 and #2 for him, 2/3 of the assignment. Granted, the teacher can only see #3, but #3 is supposed to show how well you did #1 and #2.

Of course, if the teacher said "Dangerbutton, write a paper about characterization and ask as many people as you like to find examples of characterization for you," then this would be okay, but since he/she probably didn't say that I would call this cheating.

And yes, Wielder, I think having a book with all the main points highlighted would be cheating as well. Not the kind of cheating where you ask someone to summarize the book for you, but the kind of cheating where you didn't do all the work the teacher was expecting of you when he/she gave you the assignment.

Some teachers might not care, but there are others who want you to learn by following all the steps in the process and not by working on only the last step.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 11:10:42 PM »
Jjb, I believe that if teachers didn't want you to use books that were highlighted already, or that might have notes in the margin, the entire used book industry at colleges would go out of business, and many fewer people would be able to afford their school books. They are expensive, and many have to sell them back at the end of the term to help pay for the next term's books. I understand your point totally, I'm just saying that there is usually some leeway in the research portion of any assignment like this.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 12:41:27 AM by dawncawley »

jjb

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2008, 12:08:22 AM »
All the used books I've bought weren't written in or highlighted. And the bookstores don't give you much money when you sell them back to them anyway.

But you're right, there is some leeway in these kind of assignments. That's probably why so many people disagree with me. I'm barely on the wrong side of the line while everybody else seems to be right across from me on the other side.

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2008, 12:39:40 AM »
I don't think you are on the "wrong" side of the line Jjb, just the other side. In a case like this I don't think there is a right or wrong, necessarily. It is mostly just what we are used to being able to do, and what our teachers allowed us to do that colors our opinions on this issue. Like I said, I totally understand where you are coming from, my dad held a very similar view point, as did I for much of my high school career. In college is when I got to the gray area, due to some book purchases with the important parts either highlight or noted somehow. :) No hard feelings, right?

I think some very good characterizations are in Elantris as well. I like the part that describes the uncle, I think it was the uncle. Anyway, the one whose house they held their meetings at, if that helps. :)

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2008, 01:07:31 AM »
All the used books I've bought weren't written in or highlighted. And the bookstores don't give you much money when you sell them back to them anyway.

But you're right, there is some leeway in these kind of assignments. That's probably why so many people disagree with me. I'm barely on the wrong side of the line while everybody else seems to be right across from me on the other side.

First it's called research and it's big biz.  Let's say the OP found an essay on the characterization in Mistborn, then read that essay and quoted from it...  it's not cheating.  It's actually - honestly - OFTEN a required part of the paper.  I can't tell you how many professors say "find sources in the text to support your claim then find sources outside the text to support your claim."

This is "find sources outside the text" and the OP might actually do -quite well- to quote (and cite) some of what has been said here.

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2008, 01:13:06 AM »
So, uh, it may help that I clarify that this isn't any sort of paper I have to write, or even a graded assignment. On monday in class we will be learning about characterization, and I simply volunteered to bring an example of good characterization for the class to hear. So, even if we did call this cheating, would it even be unethical, since it has nothing to do with my grade?
Essentially, I'm just asking for your help in providing my class with a good example of characterization.

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2008, 01:16:10 AM »
It wasn't cheating or unethical in the first place :P

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2008, 03:13:19 AM »
So, uh, it may help that I clarify that this isn't any sort of paper I have to write, or even a graded assignment. On monday in class we will be learning about characterization, and I simply volunteered to bring an example of good characterization for the class to hear. So, even if we did call this cheating, would it even be unethical, since it has nothing to do with my grade?
Essentially, I'm just asking for your help in providing my class with a good example of characterization.
:p

It wouldn't matter either way hehe.  I hope the class enjoys the quotes Danger!
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Dangerbutton

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2008, 06:32:02 AM »
Wow, having just read the third chapter of HoA, I think I'd rather just bring that whole chapter and say, "So, uh, this really doesn't fit the assignment, but, dang, you've gotta read this!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 08:08:12 AM »
Wow, having just read the third chapter of HoA, I think I'd rather just bring that whole chapter and say, "So, uh, this really doesn't fit the assignment, but, dang, you've gotta read this!"

Lol, the second I read the description of the Koloss, I thought of this thread.  SO COOL!
-Legacy of Kain