Author Topic: For theorizing purposes...  (Read 5382 times)

Rane

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
Re: For theorizing purposes...
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2008, 04:33:38 AM »
I don't know about you people, but I'm just content to wait four weeks to find out.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2008, 06:03:39 AM »
I don't know about you people, but I'm just content to wait four weeks to find out.
Oh but then what are we supposed to do with our free time?  Imagine Vegas dressed in a Japanese schoolgirl outfit as he beats up bullies?  No matter how amazing that might be . . . I think it would get old after a while. . . while this is endless. :]
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
I think the reason he gets targeted by bullies is because he wears the schoolgirl outfit.
He ate my horse.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2008, 04:47:47 PM »
I think it's possible that he swallows it before a fight, because stomach acid doesn't dissolve it THAT quickly.  After all, Vin pukes her unused bead up again that one time.

However, I'm leaning toward the idea that Zane does not need to swallow atium, because there's that whole thing about Straff thinking he can control Zane if he bribes him with atium, thinking that all Mistborn are addicted to the stuff, and Zane knowing that he doesn't need the atium Straff gives him.  Now this could be because Zane has another source of atium, other than his father, but it could also be that he just doesn't need it.

He says outright in his viewpoint that the reason he doesn't need it from Straff is because he stockpiled it himself.  Unless he was suppressing memories when he thinks this, he has to swallow atium just like everybody else.
Nature hates being reified.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Huh, I didn't remember that.  Do you have the quote?
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 05:07:35 PM »
I think the reason he gets targeted by bullies is because he wears the schoolgirl outfit.

They're just jealous.

Having a stockpile might support the theory that he doesn't need Atium, because he never had to burn it. However, I'm not sure that I agree with this theory. I'm still trying to theorize what Hemalurgy entails so I will sit on the fence at the moment. The thing about schoolgirl outfits is that they provide no protection to splinter from a wooden fence.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 05:16:26 PM »
The thing about schoolgirl outfits is that they provide no protection to splinter from a wooden fence.

You need to get an old-style British schoolgirl outfit, with a heavy sweater and thick tights.
He ate my horse.

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2008, 05:27:30 PM »
You need to get an old-style British schoolgirl outfit, with a heavy sweater and thick tights.

Mmmmm, you'll have to PM me with more details.

What if Hemalurgy was actually cannibalizing your own body, as has been suspected and to see into the future like Atium you have to cannibalize your past memories? If you flared too far into the future, you could lose large parts of your past and eventually forget who you were, knowing only pain.
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2008, 05:29:50 PM »
The outfit is his cover.  Ever see Boondock Saints?  He's like Willem Defoe's character (that scene is extremely disturbing, by the way).  Anyway, Zane's point of view points out that he has his own stash when you first see him talk to Straff.  He pretends to be interested in the Atium Straff waves in front of him to keep up the ruse that Straff has some control over him.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2008, 12:49:26 AM »

Mmmmm, you'll have to PM me with more details.

What if Hemalurgy was actually cannibalizing your own body, as has been suspected and to see into the future like Atium you have to cannibalize your past memories? If you flared too far into the future, you could lose large parts of your past and eventually forget who you were, knowing only pain.

That is a pretty intense theory.  I never thought of that. . . but then why the metal spikes?  What roll would they play?

Japanese school girl is much more fun though. xD
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2008, 02:16:48 AM »
That is a pretty intense theory.  I never thought of that. . . but then why the metal spikes?

Honestly, I was just throwing something out there to match some of the other speculation. I am still trying to form my theory about Hemalurgists. Perhaps when a Mistborn burns metal or a Feruchemist taps a metalmind, they give off power which can be collected by the spikes of a Hemalurgist. This would explain why their rooms would be so close to the Lord Ruler's throne, because he is always burning age, which they could use to keep themselves alive longer. For Zane, it could be that his spike feeds off atium, so when he burns it, he only needs to burn it very slowly because he has it's effects doubled. Who knows. THere's still much to think about and discover.
moustaches on the other.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2008, 02:17:38 PM »
Of that I think we all agree, Vegas.  Of course, the Inq's being next to the throne room could simply be so TLR can call them quickly to his aid, like he tried to do at the end of FE.  If TLR's allomancy was needed, wouldn't the Inq's now be weak and/or dying without him?
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 12:21:59 AM »
I kinda assumed it was just the sort of thing a hated, milenia-long ruler does when he has an elite, undead guard of supersoldiers protecting him. Keep them close, so that if he were to be attacked (say by a crazy, grieving young mistborn girl) they would be in place to defend him if needed.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

neiana

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • My Livejournal Account
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 07:10:01 AM »

But we also know that he had a rather large stock of it as well.  SO he probably just swallowed a few beads before the fight.

A rather large stock of it.. in is back :P

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 05:11:35 PM »

But we also know that he had a rather large stock of it as well.  SO he probably just swallowed a few beads before the fight.

A rather large stock of it.. in is back :P

Well, it does mention that Zane worked in the Pits of Hathsin.  What if he got stabbed with like an atium shard?  Or perhaps someone got him with an atium dagger of some sort.  (I was thinking of like...prison shanking thing)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain