Author Topic: Half-Rant; Half-Mancrying  (Read 4800 times)

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • You spilled my egg, I needed that egg. -Spike
    • View Profile
Half-Rant; Half-Mancrying
« on: September 20, 2008, 12:27:36 PM »
After staring at my ceiling for a few hours, while I reflected on what's happened to me and my life the past three years, I decided to get up and just write about it, perhaps get some outside input to help me figure things out. Normally I'd care about how long a post of mine will be, but this morning, I honestly don't care. However long this post is, is how long it is.

In a time I like to call the "Early Seattle Days"...

I'd always been a good looking kid, and after learning I had the ability to sing, I stumbled headfirst into a leading role for a musical during Eighth Grade. Memorizing lines and rehearsing as one of the only guys in the cast was extremely fun and pulling off the show was one of the most gratifying moments of my life. At this point in my life, I had a set goal all of a sudden and it was ringing crystal clear in the back of my mind; I wanted to become an actor. The spotlight has always been where I've felt comfortable for some reason, standing up in front of a large group of people and just talking, as if I was going into a monologue about nothing. Improvisation was my favorite aspect of Theater, and mixing it with singing a'la Wayne Brady from that one game show with Drew Carry, was a fun game I used to do as a freshman. Everything felt right in my life. Nothing else mattered to me except acting, and maybe one or two crushes I had at the time.

I loved it so much that my grades began to decline sharply. My parents have always been somewhat strict when it comes to grades, and when my mother learned that I had begun failing a few classes (English and Math), she pulled me from my acting class and my choir group. Then decided that she needed to find herself by moving across the country to Florida. My sister, who was young and didn't have friends that she grew up with for twelve years, didn't mind. It was exciting for her. At first I was excited by the move. I mean, come on, Disney World was going to be my neighbor, along with actual beaches! Once I got there, I realized that everything was different. No friends. New school. Asthma that was strangling me because of the blistering humidity. The only plus was I talked my mom into letting me join the theater class, with the promise I wouldn't let my grades slip.

Of course, my grades slip again. I'll always remember how my English teacher sat me down, one time after class, and told me that I really had to begin studying on how to make my writing better. Apparently it had no emotion, errors all over the place, and I couldn't argue my way out of a shrubbery. Basically, my writing completely stunk.

Don't even get me started on Geometry.

So there I am, in the same position I was in Seattle, only this time in Florida and with new friends. I was a sophomore, and I had earned the leading role in the Senior musical at the end of the year, where I was slated to kiss two of the most popular girls in the school. Of course, my grades dipped too low and my mom pulled me from the class and the play, two months from the show.

About four months later, we clash words heatedly, with me finally ending it while stomping up to my room shouting down the stairs for her to #$@$ off. The next day I was on a plane with one bag, which is all she allowed, and I moved in with my father.

Ever since moving to Seattle, I've lost my passion for acting because I've lost the motivation to do anything. I know it's a lame excuse but it's all I've got and for some reason I can't snap out of it. My English teacher lecturing me about how horrible my writing was and how I was lucky to have passed the class (which, in retrospect, was a completely unnecessary thing of her to do) scared me from writing, which in turn completely dulled my love for reading. The only thing that happened to me that I'll probably look back on and smiling at is meeting a girl who's actually stayed with me during these three years and helped me rebound after many attempts at getting back into the system.

So, after many failed attempts, I began writing blogs. I realized how much I enjoyed writing and how much I enjoyed telling random stories. I could relate it with acting. I could relate it with singing (poetry). It was a great form of release that I needed and it allowed Sarah to focus more on School while I just sort of ranted to my hearts content. After two years of doing absolutely nothing, aside from dropping out of High School and wasting all of my time in front of a computer, I finally realized I needed to get my GED and look into college.

I literally walked in, sat down, and aced all five portions of the GED in one sitting. Maybe the proudest moment of my life besides that first play.

I moved in with my mom, so I could be there for my sister and so she could pay for my college, which she gladly supported. She seemed to be a completely different person than the one I'd left in Florida. After getting accepted, I started Summer courses, and ran into a wall. After that semester, I realized that maybe the whole school scene isn't for me. But the one thing I gleamed from it was that I did possess an ability for writing, which finally broke me from the negative lecture that Tenth Grade teacher gave me. English was the only class I passed. I promptly moved back to Seattle, which happened maybe a month ago, and while trying to figure out where to take my life, besides working behind a fryer or a counter, I very simply began to write.

While in the back of my mind I have this sensation that I just made one of those bone-headed errors that young people make, by walking away from college because it didn't feel right, I've also realized that perhaps I wasn't meant to be an actor. Hell, I honestly doubt I'll become a writer, but for once since my early Sophomore days I finally feel as though I have something to hold onto. Something I can chisel away at and hopefully one day turn into a beautiful work of art. Perhaps one day, stand in a book store, holding something I've poured my time and love into. If this was the price to pay for making an 'error', then perhaps it was worth it. It really does feel good to read again.

Why share this? Well, I want advice on what I should do next. Currently I'm looking for a job so I can help pay rent and put food on the table, and write at night... but, something just doesn't feel right. While I have a fairly solid plan, to get my life started at least, this past week I've suffered some of the worst insomnia ever. I feel somewhat depressed, but only on the inside. I have no insurance, damn near no money, and I'm fortunate I have a roof over my head with a functional computer that I can write on. It just feels like there is so much to be done, so much to do after stunting myself for three years, and the pressure is overwhelming. It really does feel that this time, if I fail, it's pretty much over.

(Sorry for the overly long post that's all over the place emotionally, but I really just needed to write and I didn't want to share this on my blog... I also apologize for the horrendous punctuation and grammar that I'm simply to tired to edit.. not sleeping is starting to have effects on my brain.)

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

Necroben

• Level 14
  • What use the ability to read if one never uses it?
    • View Profile
Re: Half-Rant; Half-Mancrying
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 03:16:52 AM »
Failure is what happens when we stop trying.  From the way I understand it if you really want to be a writer, or one who gets paid for it at least, never ever give up.  So take it one-step at a time, one day at a time.  You'll have bad days, weeks, or even months.  However, if you can push past them, then you are on your way to success.  Hope this helps.  :D
I don't suffer from insanity...  I enjoy every minuet of it!

It's ok to be strange, as long as it's on paper. :)

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2008, 08:45:40 PM »
I don't have a whole heap of experience in much of what you said. But, I do know that if you have a dream, a gift, a talent, whatever you want to call this burning need to write, then use it. Don't be afraid to fail, because as was mentioned by Necroben, you only fail when you quit trying. You have a whole life ahead of you, don't sell yourself short. Be who you are, be what you are, and be alright with that. Because once you are at peace with yourself, you will begin to be at peace with the rest of it. As I have told numerous friends, who have always asked me if I regretted anything in my past, I am who I am today because of my past. I am comfortable with me, and it sounds like you are working toward that. Don't give it up. :) It really is very worth it. Everything you have endured has made you into the person you are today. And even with the tired and the ranting, you sound very much like a person who knows really what they want. So, take it, do it, be it, and don't ever give up on it.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 11:00:51 PM »
I'll be the naysayer here.

Having a dream does not guarantee success, not even if you believe in your dream really really hard.  Knowing what you want to be does not guarantee that you have the talent, the connections, or the luck to actually be that.  Especially when you're wanting to enter a very popular but narrow field, it's important to be realistic.  How many little boys dream of being football quarterbacks - and what percentage actually end up in the NFL?  How many little girls want to be pop singers or supermodels or, for that matter, princesses - and what percentage actually do?  We all have wild crazy dreams when we're young, and then we grow up to be practical.  Yes, there are a few Grace Kellys wh0 do get to be princesses, but the vast majority of those dream-filled kids end up being accountants or teachers or lawyers or plumbers.  At some point the real world comes crashing down on their dreams, and they realize that the pond is much bigger than their kindegarten classroom where they could throw a football better than the other 5-year-olds.  They realize that while they love to be on stage, they're not so very unique in their abilities to act.  They realize that only a few dozen of the very prettiest, tallest, and most anorexic women on earth get to be supermodels.

So I'd say, sure, go ahead and write in your spare time if it makes you happy.  Who knows, you might get lucky and be the next Brandon Sanderson rising to fame and fortune out of obscurity.  But in the meantime, I'd strongly advise getting qualified for some more reliable trade, something that people are actually hiring for and paying wages and benefits.  Whether there's something like that that you're already qualified for, or whether it would mean going back to college or technical school, I don't know; I do know that having a fallback career is essential to aspiring artists of any sort.  The thing about the arts is, no matter how good you are, there's no guarantee if or when you'll get paid for your talent.  Do you really want to end up mooching off your parents or the government, or wait tables for pennies and no health insurance, while you wait for lightning to strike?  And anyway, are you sure you won't soon change your mind about writing?  It wasn't so very long ago that you were certain you wanted to be an actor.

I don't mean to be harsh; I know I'm a pessimist and a cynic.  It's just my opinion that dreams are all well and good in their place, but they aren't a blueprint for the future, and sometimes people need to be practical and do something they don't enjoy QUITE so much, just to pay the bills.
He ate my horse.

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:15:51 AM »
SarahG, that's exactly what's tripping me up. Until yesterday at least. I found an opportunity (thank you Craigslist) to become a trainee for IT not far from the home. While not the biggest company, they're offering a very generous wage and since I've already had experience in IT it should be easy, and I can write during the time I'm not answering questions like "why is my screen black?" Personally I love technology and tinkering with things, so IT has always been a career path I would fall back on... but thank you for the pessimism, because it was completely honest and I appreciate that. :)

Thank you Necroben for the kind words and Dawn with the advice, I won't be stopping this anytime soon. Giving up simply is not an option I have. I really only wrote this because I wanted to vent and I might have been having a  bad day. Okay. A really bad day.

So, now I finish the book in my spare time while I tinker with people's computer problems.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (RIP)

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:17:18 PM »
Excellent!  I'm so glad things are working out for you!

And thank you for not getting offended at my negativity.  I was thinking last night after I posted, wow, I sounded like I was comparing him to a kindergartener.  I didn't mean to do that, or to disparage your dreams of writing.  I do think it's good to have dreams, and to follow them.  I just wanted to make sure you weren't staking your entire livelihood on something that may or may not ever come to fruition.  Until you can count on an income from writing, it's important to find another reliable source of income - and that's exactly what you've done.  Good for you.
He ate my horse.

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 1
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »
"Failure only happens when you quit trying."

Or you die.  But, then, I guess that is technically you not trying anymore.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 08:16:11 AM »
"Failure only happens when you quit trying."

Or you die.  But, then, I guess that is technically you not trying anymore.

XD Let's hope that nobody here dies.

George Carlin (RIP)

GorgonlaVacaTremendo

• Level 29
  • If we can teach a monkey to use a Rubic's Cube...
    • View Profile
    • Kinase Moves the Audio
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 09:01:45 AM »
I hope everybody here dies.  I would be very scared if some strange occurrence made TWG members immortal. :-D.
"Sin lies only in hurting other people unnecessarily. All other 'sins' are invented nonsense."
Robert Heinlein

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little."
Edmund Burke

www.kinasemovestheaudio.com for a good time!

Silenced Parrot

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 06:35:30 AM »
But wouldn't that be kind of cool? I mean, I would enjoy watching technology continue to advance and then finally exploring space. I wouldn't want to be immortal to the point I can't die, but the kind where if I get my head cut off... well, I die.

That way I can choose when I die, or at least know that if I die before I choose, I was doing something incredibly stupid and deserved it. >.>

Bah, rambling! I probably wouldn't do well with immortality. I'd most likely end up playing video-games indefinitely.

George Carlin (RIP)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 10:26:40 AM »
Who knows, you might get lucky and be the next Brandon Sanderson rising to fame and fortune out of obscurity.

I'm going to chime in here and say that this comment is, frankly, out of line.  I knew Brandon before he had a single published novel.  Brandon did not "get lucky" so much (though certainly, there are elements that are out of one's hands)—Brandon is where he is now because he has worked and worked and worked to get where he is now.  I've forgotten the exact count, but I believe Brandon had written some 9 novels before his first novel was published.  Brandon has an English degree and an MA in Writing.  Brandoned volunteered extensively for a literary magazine (becoming editor-in-chief).  And Brandon reads and writes constantly, and works hard.  Do I wish I were in Brandon's shoes?  Of course I do, but I haven't done the work he's done.  Frankly, Brandon has deserved every bit of success he's gotten; he's certainly worked hard enough for it.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2008, 09:25:06 PM »
Who knows, you might get lucky and be the next Brandon Sanderson rising to fame and fortune out of obscurity.

I'm going to chime in here and say that this comment is, frankly, out of line. I knew Brandon before he had a single published novel. Brandon did not "get lucky" so much (though certainly, there are elements that are out of one's hands)—Brandon is where he is now because he has worked and worked and worked to get where he is now. I've forgotten the exact count, but I believe Brandon had written some 9 novels before his first novel was published. Brandon has an English degree and an MA in Writing. Brandoned volunteered extensively for a literary magazine (becoming editor-in-chief). And Brandon reads and writes constantly, and works hard. Do I wish I were in Brandon's shoes? Of course I do, but I haven't done the work he's done. Frankly, Brandon has deserved every bit of success he's gotten; he's certainly worked hard enough for it.

I apologize.  I did not in any way mean to disparage Brandon Sanderson's hard work, or the efforts he has expended to achieve what he has.  My point was simply that not everyone who works as hard at writing has the kind of success he is having; it's not the kind of career (in my opinion) that a person can count on being able to make a living from.  I might be wrong in this opinion; it might be the case that the artists who fail are the lazy artists, or those who didn't believe strongly enough in their dreams.  However, it seems to me that there is a pretty strong element of luck in the equation, even though I do believe that to some extent, as Caroline Ingalls said, "we make our own luck".  The aspiring writer who works really hard is more likely to be published than the aspiring writer who sits around moaning, but there are no guarantees either way and I think both writers would do well to have an alternate career to fall back on, and to pay the bills while they're either sitting back and waiting for lightning to strike, or working hard to improve their skills.
He ate my horse.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2008, 04:57:38 AM »
That's one approach.  I do believe, however, that enough work will, eventually, pay off every time.

You finish 10 full-blown novels, read a ton, and pursue an education in writing to the best of your ability, and I'll be shocked if you don't achieve at least some small degree of success if you work hard, not only to improve your writing, but also to promote yourself.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2008, 05:23:54 PM »
So would you advise Silenced Parrot to take out more and more loans and/or mooch off relatives while he's writing those 10 novels and educating and promoting himself?  Would you be willing to guarantee those loans, if you were a banker?
He ate my horse.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
Of course not; I know nothing about Silenced Parrot or his/her current financial status and/or work ethic.

Anyway, Brandon worked a day-job and wrote.