Author Topic: The all encompassing UtopiaGreen1-10 thread  (Read 6040 times)

themaladroit1

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
The all encompassing UtopiaGreen1-10 thread
« on: September 18, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
I'm new here. First time on any forum so everybody knows more than me so please feel free to correct my wrongs. Sounds like most dislike (perhaps the very low end of the spectrum) Utopia. I see a few things good in him/his comments. I don't think he should be banned. Seems to me if you don't like his threads, stay out of them. It says who started them. That being said, it seems like people keep going back. Conversation starter, and isn't that the point is to have something to talk about? Not only that, but he seems to bring out very adamant talking. He just needs a little direction methinks. Must be a fan of Brandon's, he found his way here, right?  If his goal is to get your goat, chances are your goat got -- well, got. Maybe, Utopia, if you started a thread or two about the actual books and what's in them, people would let you slide on a few of your more, um, mundane topics? In reading through the various threads, and I'm just using this as an example, please don't fry me, there were a few posters I disliked. Not for any reason, other than I disagreed with them on one thing or another.  That's good. I tend to think better when I not agree with someone rather than when I'm being one of the sheep. Didn't like Ookla (sp?), seemed to stodgy and in love with the fact of being a friend of Brandons. Got to admit he seems very smart though. Miyabi? Didn't care for a lot of posts, hated the name, and couldn't stand the picture. Knew I didn't like him. Guess who was the first to welcome me? Pretty cool.  There's my two cents, maybe ignore his post if you don't identify or agree or think they have anything to do with anything. And maybe Utopia, you can post something more people can get their brains around instead of just going for the knee-jerk, whipcord reaction. Thanks everyone. Hope this doesn't get me banned.  And maybe next time I could actually add something that even remotely has anything to do with Mr. Sandersons wonderful books. Have read MB1 and 2 and Elantris. And two out of three of my sons have read Alcatraz.  I'm going to hit it after MB3. Thanks, all.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
Re: The all encompassing UtopiaGreen1-10 thread
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 03:27:28 PM »
Hmmmmm......

themaladroit1 = Utopia
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

themaladroit1

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 03:36:29 PM »
Na, if I was him it would be UtopiaGreen04.  He seems to be name not number challenged. Plus he would love to take credit for that post. It was Awesome!!

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:39:08 PM »
Ah, well if that's the story you're sticking to I will have to classify you as Utopia's lackey. You have my sympathies....
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 03:40:53 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 06:11:05 PM »
I was more inclined to think that this is Utopia's Mom.  How nice to have your mom make an account to defend you.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 06:23:44 PM »
And here I thought Utopia was my Down syndrome baby.
He ate my horse.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »
Here's what's bad about Utopia:

Illiteracy - Notice how he brings up topics--especially the abortion topic--and never actually takes part in it. One of the few topics I've seen him reply in is the one where he's asking for free books.

Speaking of free books, he's a hypocrite - Observe:

With all the complaining you have done you could have had it changed a dozen times over.  Why not just do it yourself.  As I said before, not TOO many people have eBook readers.

Who can't afford $359 for a Kindle?  It had a price drop from $399.

And then, another topic (not the only one, mind you):

Will Brandon Sanderson give away free Mistborn #3 books when the #3 goes on sale, to us fourm posters, as a thank you for being here?

Which leads into...

Complete lack of understanding what message boards are - I wasn't aware that joining forums was something that would... give you free stuff. I really don't think I need to go into a lot of detail there, except to say that something is clearly wrong with you if you believe that. Sorry, but let's get real here.

Plus, he doesn't make "topics" in the traditional sense of a message board topic. He usually does something like pose a question "Will Brandon do [insert whatever]?" and then in his topic, he will say, "Read the topic title." themaladroit, you are capable of making competent topics. You made a topic, then gave your opinion on it, not merely just posing a question and seemingly abandon it.

It's stupid, plain and simple.

Lack of growth - He has not increased in literacy or any of the qualities I have mentioned. In fact, he appears to be degenerating, repeating the same habits that made him so hated when he created new accounts. Normal people, perhaps, would read from what was said to him and grow. Maybe an apology for acting so dumb. He did nothing of the sort, continuing to pose nontopics like "Why was I banned?" No reflection. I thought what separated humans from animals was the capability of reflection. Utopia does not possess this trait.

I'd love to seem him grow, sure. But, let's face it, he hasn't. Get him to post a reflection upon his own actions or something to prove to me he is competent.

Arrogance - Of course, being illiterate and hostile tends to make you enemies on a forum... well, which is for a very literate author. He is arrogant in his beliefs (of ignorance, apparently, because of the lack of growth), shown by this topic. Read it. This is not an intelligent person we are dealing with, but a person who is steadfast in his ignorance to the point of inanity.

People like him do not go away. He's been banned twice and he keeps coming back. Ignoring his topics does nothing. We've tried to get him to be better, but after the fifth inane topic, patience tends to be worn a bit thin.

At that point, after he was shown to be utterly hopeless with positive reinforcement, I hoped that some very negative comments could perhaps pierce his skull and make him see how ignorant he truly was. Rather than feeding the troll, I said.

Quote from: Me
See, we feed the trolls, but we feed the trolls knives, so it all works out! The troll gets to eat, and we get to see its stomach eviscerated. Problem solved!

Honestly, prove me wrong. I would love to be proved wrong here, that there is some hope in Utopia. Unfortunately, it appears to fade away across the horizon...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 09:01:10 PM »
He's been banned twice and he keeps coming back. ...
Four times now, actually, thanks to a moderator with super ninja monkey assassin priests--and a knack for hunting down IP addresses. ;) I just hope we can be UG free. Trolls like him should be loaded onto a stinky trash barge, launched into space, and sent on a long, slow trajectory towards the sun to suffer a fiery death. Oh, and did I mention the troll-eating monster hidden amongst the rubbish? It has one eyeball and loves the taste of troll.  ;D
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:13:54 PM »
I could see why a newcomer might feel this way. Listen don't think that we as a community have it out for anyone. Utopia dug his own grave many time. There were a few of us who in the beginning of Utopias time here did cut him slack and asked the others to do the same. We left it alone of a long enough time. The problem with a Troll is that they don't care. They really don't care what the other posters have to say or anything about the general conversation. All utopia was good for was a short laugh while attempting to figure if anyone could be that dumb, after we would post replies that amused us. The whole problem is that this is a forum for Brandon Sanderson. We don't come here to act stupid and see what others think, we come here to talk theories and see what others think. There are even other parts of the forum where he can post stupid things but he decided to post here and eventually people got sick of it.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
He's been banned twice and he keeps coming back. ...
Four times now, actually, thanks to a moderator with super ninja monkey assassin priests--and a knack for hunting down IP addresses. ;) I just hope we can be UG free. Trolls like him should be loaded onto a stinky trash barge, launched into space, and sent on a long, slow trajectory towards the sun to suffer a fiery death. Oh, and did I mention the troll-eating monster hidden amongst the rubbish? It has one eyeball and loves the taste of troll.  ;D

Yeah, I just thought it was twice because he made two more accounts. Honestly, when he numbers his account names, it makes it pretty easy to determine how many times he's done it.

And curse him for having multiple IP addresses!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 10:36:50 PM »
What if he's going to, say, his local public library to troll?  Or maybe he's stealing internet...
I think that banning trolls is ineffective.  Mocking them relentlessly, however, does discourage them.
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:49:30 PM »
Disagree, While mocking them is fun they as Trolls often feed of the negative things we say and that drives them to say even stupider things just to rile us up more. Although I do enjoy our responses to Utopias idiocies I think I would rather have Utopia shut up or start posting properly. Both of these possabilities seem unlikely.

sporkify

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:54:23 PM »
You must realize that there's an art to mocking trolls.  You must do so carefully while always keeping the high ground.  If they get a handle on you, then, as they say, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you through sheer experience. 

Ultimately, if you can avoid feeding them the tidbits they thrive upon while mocking them constantly, Trolls leave.  Remember they have the attention span of a two year old AND they're on the internet.
Gorram Frakking Woolhead!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 11:01:04 PM »
Or we could resort to constant PM bashing and save everyone else the trouble of having to read it on the threads.

EDIT:
what are the odds that the e-mail address he posted is a real address. I mean I have an address that I don't use that could easily be used for the soul pupose of bashing this Troll. What do I care if he starts sending it e-mails I dont use it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 02:31:57 AM by GreenMonsta »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 12:21:56 PM »
once you actually start sending emails, that means he's getting to you  ;)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!