Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 48792 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #255 on: October 06, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »
Ah, darxbane! I simply love that idea about metal purities and impurities! That provides the clearest explanation for just a sickness, rather than death. It very well could be Hemalurgy, or perhaps it could just a recently Snapped Allomancer burning an impure metal and having dire consequences.

Now I definitely need to look at the two old men that died for clues...

Metal impurities, aye? You might be on to something...hmm
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2008, 10:18:47 PM »
Ah, darxbane! I simply love that idea about metal purities and impurities! That provides the clearest explanation for just a sickness, rather than death. It very well could be Hemalurgy, or perhaps it could just a recently Snapped Allomancer burning an impure metal and having dire consequences.

Elmandr, did you read my giant post about your mist spirit theory? :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 07, 2008, 12:18:11 AM »
Well then I step away for a weekend and missed a lot of fun. I am a fan of both the "mist making people snap" idea and the "metal impurities" idea. Im surprised at the good ideas that are still being tossed around with such a short time left. Also, Chaos, why did I ever run against you in the election? I for one don't know. That post was awesome. I for one have attempted to question that same theory and I couldn't have done it better than you. You truly are good at what you do. Nothing against you elimandr1 but I have never been a fan of that particular thought.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 07, 2008, 12:22:55 AM »

Elmandr, did you read my giant post about your mist spirit theory? :P

I refuse to make a broken hearted statement...

although, you my friend have forced me to  alter the bet for you. It is now that you will have to eat a hat if Vin Or the HOA unites with the Mist Spirit!
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 07, 2008, 02:57:28 AM »
I have been wondering about the Mist Spirit.  It is short, I wonder if there is a reason for that.  if it was an embodiment, would it not be tall, like Alendi, or if Rashek joined it instead, was.
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 07, 2008, 03:14:01 AM »
Are we still theorizing?  How would everybody respond to the theory that Kandra and Koloss were humans that the Lord Ruler changed to use as his spies and soldiers?  Evidence for this would be

1) the koloss think they are human
2) they have natural reactions and emotions that have been muted but not completely destroyed
3) their basic biology must have come from somewhere; the changes in the world seem to have been generally for the worse, and it is difficult to imagine that TLR somewhere got the knowledge to create things ab inito and produced something functional yet so fundamentally wrong
Nature hates being reified.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 07, 2008, 04:55:34 AM »
That makes some sense; if holding the power lets you know what it can do without telling you the best way to do it, that's quite possibly what happened. I think that could be an argument for Ruin being the power that TLR touched. Things have been changed in a way that, while they still work, they're wrong. Like Koloss, no Flowers, Ashmounts, etc.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #262 on: October 07, 2008, 05:55:32 AM »
That makes some sense; if holding the power lets you know what it can do without telling you the best way to do it, that's quite possibly what happened. I think that could be an argument for Ruin being the power that TLR touched. Things have been changed in a way that, while they still work, they're wrong. Like Koloss, no Flowers, Ashmounts, etc.

However, I believe that the Lord Ruler sort of froze the world in time (see my last page, or the MB1 Prologue Part Two annotation), and that seems awfully more like Preservation to me.

Are we still theorizing?  How would everybody respond to the theory that Kandra and Koloss were humans that the Lord Ruler changed to use as his spies and soldiers?  Evidence for this would be

2) they have natural reactions and emotions that have been muted but not completely destroyed
3) their basic biology must have come from somewhere; the changes in the world seem to have been generally for the worse, and it is difficult to imagine that TLR somewhere got the knowledge to create things ab inito and produced something functional yet so fundamentally wrong

That seems much more likely to me. I don't know if you have the "why" part of that equation down. Kandra are still very mysterious. I'm not sure why the Lord Ruler would create them, only to have the ancient Mistborn hunt them down.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 07, 2008, 06:20:39 AM »

However, I believe that the Lord Ruler sort of froze the world in time (see my last page, or the MB1 Prologue Part Two annotation), and that seems awfully more like Preservation to me.

Oh yeah, it's still an option, I just thought I'd present another idea.

That seems much more likely to me. I don't know if you have the "why" part of that equation down. Kandra are still very mysterious. I'm not sure why the Lord Ruler would create them, only to have the ancient Mistborn hunt them down.

Maybe because they proved too incontrollable as a race, like you could only control one at a time. Or maybe the Mistborn hunted them down on their own...

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 07, 2008, 06:45:02 PM »
Just a question. Did the release date change cause I got my copy today in the mail. I had pre-ordered a copy two weeks ago from Chapters, a national bookstore in Canada.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 07, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »

Maybe because they proved too incontrollable as a race, like you could only control one at a time. Or maybe the Mistborn hunted them down on their own...

Their reason for being hunted is not that mysteriouse to me.  The power they had was too strong.  They could consume a person and become them so perfectly that no one could tell the difference.  It would be easy for them to take over without anyone even realizing until it was too late.  TLR did too good a job creating his doppelgangers, and probably wanted them eliminated until they agreed to submit.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #266 on: October 07, 2008, 07:25:10 PM »
Just a question. Did the release date change cause I got my copy today in the mail. I had pre-ordered a copy two weeks ago from Chapters, a national bookstore in Canada.

... No? Man, if you got the book early, I am so jealous right now.

My preorder from Amazon hasn't shipped yet, so it must just be a Canada thing, I guess.

Coof

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 07, 2008, 07:42:43 PM »
Sweet. By about this time tomorrow, I'll finally be able to imitate Ookla and know the answers to all the questions! Ha Ha Ha!

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 07, 2008, 08:06:49 PM »
Damn. I think for the first time in my life im jealous of a Canadian. What has become of the world.

Im kidding but really your a lucky person and I am very jealous
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #269 on: October 07, 2008, 08:23:55 PM »
Darn, that's cool that you got your copy a tad early. I too am jealous.  :D

Hopefully there will be no spoilers on here until after the rest of us get a chance to receive our copies and read them.  :)