Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 48786 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2008, 07:58:28 AM »
Is it possible that the world was originally doomed for a far worse fate and TLR actually SAVED the world?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
Is it possible that the world was originally doomed for a far worse fate and TLR actually SAVED the world?

...perhaps he was just stalling for the real HOA to come and, this is going to sound far fetched, stopped time, there by putting a stop to the Ruins usurpment.

This still works with my theory that the mist-spirit is the collective souls of past HOA's and the real HOA(for that "Age") will merge and become one with the spirits and achieve the knowledge that allows s/he to wield the power properly and perhaps develop the knowledge of how to destroy the Ruin.

Does anyone think my theory is right? I feel especially good about it.

check my last post on this thread before this one.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2008, 11:05:42 PM »

...perhaps he was just stalling for the real HOA to come and, this is going to sound far fetched, stopped time, there by putting a stop to the Ruins usurpment.

This still works with my theory that the mist-spirit is the collective souls of past HOA's and the real HOA(for that "Age") will merge and become one with the spirits and achieve the knowledge that allows s/he to wield the power properly and perhaps develop the knowledge of how to destroy the Ruin.

Whoa... I read your previous post in detail, but I must say that "the Deepness" and "the mist spirit" are two different things. If the Hero needed to merge with the mist spirit, you could have something, but the Deepness? You'd have to convince me to take in that one :P
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2008, 11:53:59 PM »

Whoa... I read your previous post in detail, but I must say that "the Deepness" and "the mist spirit" are two different things. If the Hero needed to merge with the mist spirit, you could have something, but the Deepness? You'd have to convince me to take in that one :P

Well if the deepness is indeed the mist, and the mist spirit is the collective souls of the  HOA's then is it not one and the same?

"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2008, 12:06:54 AM »
I don't follow. How would that make them one and the same. Because they are both comprised of mist? I think they are separate, the mist spirit I think is of preservation hence the injuring of Elend. The spirit wanted Vin to take the power and use it to save Elend instead of giving it up and releasing Ruin.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2008, 12:15:34 AM »
Maybe the deepness could be of Preservation as well though. My far-out there theory deals with the fact that when the Deepness returns, it only targets certain people. I can't remember which annotation it was, but there was one where he mentioned this being important.

Maybe, in some weird convoluted way, the people the Deepness killed could/would/maybe possibly work for Ruin, or at least towards his goals in some way? That would make the Deepness Preservation in some way.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25:24 AM »
Last night i stumbled upon the thought on what exactly was the mist spirit--a thought came to me that the mist spirit could be the collective souls of all the past HOA's. I liked the idea, partly cuz that would be just fandiddly, and partly because it explains alot.

here's how,

First off we need to find out what exactly is the real prophecy, since that is the greatest of all issues of uncertianty.

Prophecy means a religious, or supernatural promise of the coming of a future event(disaster/prosperity) or person(anionted one/apollyon). So if the tellers of a prophecy could perdict the future, couldn't they see the Ruin changing the prophecy at hand, and then actually succeeding? wouldn't a prophecy be able to foresee this? Of cousre, it would. And i believe it did. The real prophecy probably tells of the Ruin coming up great power and a great person of that age would...and the Ruin would be destroyed, and all will be good again. The Expected.

My opinion is that the prophecy is that the H.O. of that A. must unite him or herself with the mist spirit, not attain the power of the well. how do i know? because the Ruin has the power, so it definitly not that...so what else has appeared or distinguished itself since the death of the TLR? The Mist spirit.

another something that only convinces me further. Remember back to when Vin fought TLR? what did she use to do it....? yes, i know, im genius. ;D. Which would explain why the Ruin would spread rumors about the mist, getting people to turn away from it. Did the mist really kill people? or was it there superstiousness that made for there starvation? think about it? has anyone ever been reported to have been killed by the mist from a reliable source?

How is Vin or chaos2651 supposed to unite with the mist spirit?

The Kandra.

the kandra hold a secret, a dear, dear secret. Vin knows it. And you and i know it. Thats my thoery of how she could do it.

If there is anything im missing, let me know. see if this formula (HOA+mist spirit) works in all cases. If not we can dismiss it.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2008, 02:18:57 AM »
I suppose it's possible...but it's WAY too convoluted for my tastes. It'd be much easier to say, "Vin is the Hero of Ages. She has to defeat Ruin. She can do it in x way for x reason." Much easier than some crazy merging with the mist spirit. 
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2008, 02:48:40 AM »
I suppose it's possible...but it's WAY too convoluted for my tastes. It'd be much easier to say, "Vin is the Hero of Ages. She has to defeat Ruin. She can do it in x way for x reason." Much easier than some crazy merging with the mist spirit. 

I don't know...Do you think that's EUOL's style?
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2008, 03:26:31 AM »
He does things in such a way that their complicated and make us all go insane, but make total sense. I don't think your theory really fits the bill. It seems like that's kinda out of nowhere. It's a good idea, though.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

spejoku

• Level 3
  • Insanity isn't all that bad really.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2008, 04:12:11 AM »
Does Ruin have a physical body?  Maybe the reason the HOA had to take in the power rather than release it was because it would seal Ruin within themselves. 

Also I forsee an Elend vs. Marsh showdown.  Or Vin.  I'm not picky.

I wanna know more about the Kandra's society and religion and stuff.  That has something to do with the huge secret, I'm sure.
Tacos: the food of choice for awesome people

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2008, 04:43:59 AM »
What if elmandr1's not half wrong?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2008, 04:46:03 AM »
I hate comments like this. I never know what ookla's trying to do.

I never claimed he was wrong, simply stated that I didn't feel it was likely. If enough evidence to the contrary is presented, I will gladly revise my opinion.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008, 06:14:36 AM »
I don't believe I remember that particular annotation. I would love to read it if you could dig it out, though.

Mistborn: The Final Empire, Prologue part two:
It's all just part of the image I'm trying to create--a place that isn't set in any particular time. In fact, it's a little bit frozen in time, as you'll find in later books.
That's where I got it from.

The details of the Mist Spirit, the earring getting in the way of drawing on the mists in WOA, which brings up another annotation quote: (Mistborn: The Final Empire, Chapter 38 part 3)

I wasn't planning on having Vin draw upon the mists in this book--I was going to save it for later--but the initial version of this chapter (which had Vin simply grabbing the bracelets off the Lord Ruler's arms with her hands) lacked the proper drama or impact. So, I moved up my timetable, and gave her access to some abilities she wasn't going to get until the next book.

It's a good theory. Doesn't explain everything, but it's definitely something to consider.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »

Not half wrong, but wholly wrong?  Is that what you're saying? :)
He ate my horse.