Author Topic: The Countdown  (Read 48751 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: The Countdown
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2008, 12:27:25 AM »
LMAO... that was awesome.

Actually, I think it's likely that these particular koloss could be controlled by Ruin in some manner.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2008, 12:34:49 AM »
*Epiphany*

The Koloss weren't around until LR came to power.

The deepness probably created his own Koloss.

"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2008, 02:54:12 AM »
Sorry but I find that one hard to swallow. I would think that if the deepness could create creatures then why Kolos? I mean is a force that is controlling the end of the world lacking in imagination. I think not. If anything they might be being controlled. Ruin or another force could do something like this. I find the idea of such an ability to be a little far fetched. Just as far fetched as your support of Chaos but I'll leave that one alone for another time and place.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2008, 06:25:30 AM »
All right, all right. No politics in this thread, this is pure theory time.

It's about that time to name a new theory for tomorrow, T-28 days until MB3. Today, I have a theory I would like to suggest for tomorrow. I apologize if you had a different idea, but I felt this one needed to be said.

I have a quote from darxbane from the HoA Chapter Two topic:

Yes.  Imagine if TLR's death is causing the world to slowly return to it's original location?  If everything he did was slowly unraveling?  I have never looked forward to October like I have this year.

And so, tomorrow's conversation topic:

What if, after the Lord Ruler's death, the things he did as he held the power slowly changed back to the way it was previously?

JCHancey

• Level 8
  • Formerly known as Jakobus
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2008, 06:29:46 AM »
It makes sense. He changed the earth, and it fits in with what he said when vin killed him. hmm i like that one, time to lose more sleep contemplating the epicness of Mistborn...
RJF: "I spit upon the ground where you no longer ever existed."

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2008, 06:30:13 AM »
What if?

I'm inclined to say an ice storm...perhaps a vast array of natural disasters--earthquakes to tsunami's...that's what would happen idealy...in the story im not sure if that a good thing.

Perhaps the deepness can't survive in the heat--perhaps if it is cold enough it could solidify and then ne a physical force. That would explain why LR did what he did.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 03:03:22 PM »
Good idea, except in the epigraphs of book one, it mentions that the Deepnes is left behind when they reach the Ice Mountains.  If the world does return to pre-TLR status, Luthadel and the remaining dominances are going to get very cold.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 11:01:54 PM »
Historically Hero in a time of war means a warrior who dies for his people and a champion lives on.....

thus the new topic begins
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008, 11:24:28 PM »
Good idea, except in the epigraphs of book one, it mentions that the Deepnes is left behind when they reach the Ice Mountains.  If the world does return to pre-TLR status, Luthadel and the remaining dominances are going to get very cold.

What do you mean "the Deepness is left behind"? I don't remember that particular epigraph.

Of course, the upside is you wouldn't have ash staining your clothes. That's got to get annoying after a while...

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 02:46:48 AM »
Chaos, this particular theory makes a lot of sense. I'm inclined to agree. By the way, thank you for officially labeling this as a non-political thread. I don't know how much more non-stop political crap I could take. (This should not be quoted and used against me, as it originates in this thread of deep non-political origins)
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 03:12:21 AM »
The theory is sound but what was the world like before TLR?  We know it wasn't the green happy place we might think because the deepness had already taken effect. So what caused the ashmounts and deepness to begin with?
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 04:03:52 AM »
I would think that the Lord Ruler holding the power caused the Ashmounts. What caused the Deepness, however, is a different question entirely. I believe it is a thing brought up by Ruin's existence, so, whenever Ruin has the ability to influence the world, the Deepness logically follows.

There is another matter here, though. It is the "Hero of Ages". Brandon said on the annotation for the title page on MB2:

Quote from: The Supreme Mistborn Llama, Brandon Sanderson
This title was fairly easy to choose. Actually, the titles of all three books were easy to choose. I originally toyed with calling the Hero of Ages the Final Hero. So, because of that, I was tempted to come up with a "final" title to use for book two.

However, I quickly decided that I liked Hero of Ages instead of Final Hero (you'll see why in Book Three.) So, way back as far as the first chapters of book one, I was planning book two to be named the Well of Ascension.

"Ages". As in, multiple ages. We can assume what an "Age" is is the thousand-year span between Ascensions. As to why it is called the Hero of Ages, we can only speculate.

So... we better start speculating on that, stat. It's what we do around here.

Andrew, you're welcome. That political crap is really draining, considering I have a lot of homework to do.

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 04:44:58 AM »
Perhaps, like the refillment of the Well, the Ruin returns every thousand years and not because TLR was killed.

We know the well was always there but we assume it is meant for the HOA--what if thats wrong. What if the Well was meant for Ruin? And It was up to the Hero to Destroy it after the fact? What if It returned every "Age" and an Anointed warrior is chosen for each uprising?

Perhaps whoever the next HOA is just one of many...perhaps there were hundreds--spread thousands of years apart?

So the question rises, then how come we don't know of the others before TLR?

i have to theories and it can be both.

HERO by definition is a person who has died for the cuase. Or in Battle with glory. Perhaps each hero must Die. Another is that the lord ruler, like hitler, would have destroyed anything that suggests or prooves this.

Where does the Deepness come in?

I believe that the deepness is the spirit of the HOA's of the past.

it wasn't there before TLR because with him still alive, the spirit could not remain.

Why not?

I think that the chosen HOA, must unite himself with the deepness....This would explain Vin's battle with the TLR...when she thought she had used the mist....

but that's just speculation.

Man, i just got goosebumps.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »
Two things...
LMAO... that was awesome.

Actually, I think it's likely that these particular koloss could be controlled by Ruin in some manner.

I think the Koloss referred to are controlled by the Inquisitors, who are being controlled by Ruin, so yeah. They did use a bunch of Koloss to take out the Terris lands...

It's about that time to name a new theory for tomorrow, T-28 days until MB3. Today, I have a theory I would like to suggest for tomorrow. I apologize if you had a different idea, but I felt this one needed to be said.

I have a quote from darxbane from the HoA Chapter Two topic:

Yes.  Imagine if TLR's death is causing the world to slowly return to it's original location?  If everything he did was slowly unraveling?  I have never looked forward to October like I have this year.

And so, tomorrow's conversation topic:

What if, after the Lord Ruler's death, the things he did as he held the power slowly changed back to the way it was previously?

Brandon does mention in one of his annotations (can't remember where, too tired to look it up now) that the world is kind of frozen in time. Like it was on the brink of destruction and something TLR did (was doing) kept that from happening. Controlling Ruin?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 07:29:52 AM »
I don't believe I remember that particular annotation. I would love to read it if you could dig it out, though.

Okay, so, it's past midnight. Topic for T-27 days? Any takers?