Author Topic: Brandon's Book Tour  (Read 22216 times)

Czanos

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Brandon's Book Tour
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2008, 01:05:29 AM »
Well, seeing as how I'm currently making one of these puppies myself, I emailed Brandon and got some details about the cloaks. Essentially they're just cool-looking uniform-color charcoal gray tassels sewn together. It's more complicated than that, of course, but it gets the basic point across.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2008, 01:11:17 AM »
You should should be absolutely amazing and share this knowledge with us. (i.e. quote the email.)  That would be mucho amazingo.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2008, 01:17:08 AM »
Jonathan,

Sorry to take so long on the reply!  Sometimes, my inbox is kind of daunting.

A mistcloak would be hard to get right.  I've seen several people try, and they never quite feel right to me.  Maybe they are one of those things that work in my imagination, but might not work in the real world.

What I would be looking for is something enveloping, something grand, yet also much more light-weight than most of the ones that people have made.  I know that Vin describes hers as heavy, but that's all relative.

But here's my best answer to your questions:

Colors:  All the same shade of dark, charcoal gray.
How wide are the strips:  Between a half an inch and an inch wide.
Material:  Cotton, perhaps.  Lighter than canvas or wool, for certain. However, I do imagine each tassel being sewn individually, perhaps with a thicker back and an inside that is of something softer and lightweight.
Are all the tassels the same length:  No, but close.  Within an inch or two of one another.
Do they drag:  No.  They're cut so that they obscure the feet, but don't drag.
How many layers of tassels:  1 and a half.

The real trick, I think, to making one work would be to, in my opinion, make a cloak which looks cool on its own.  Then, slit the bottom 2/3rds up to about the rib-cage area.  Sew these into tassels, then sew some more tassels to the inside.  Then, perhaps work with the shoulders/inner layers to make the cloak fall down so that it looks enveloping and the sides can fall straight.

Does that help?

Best,

Brandon

--------------------------------
The best publicity that an author can get comes from reader recommendations.  So if you liked Brandon's books, please blog about them, post about them on message boards, and--most importantly--make sure to loan copies to your friends!

The release date for MISTBORN: THE HERO OF AGES--third and final of the Mistborn books--is October 14th!  We almost hit the NYT Bestseller list on Book Two, so we're really hoping for an explosive first week for Book Three.  With just a few hundred more copies, we'll make it!

Brandon's blog feeds:

Main blog:  http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/
Livejournal:  http://mistborn.livejournal.com/
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=621235008
--------------------------------

BS.com Contact wrote:

Mr. Sanderson,

What exactly are the specifications to make a mistcloak? From the book I can gather that they're long strips of material sewn together across the shoulders, chest, and top hem, and that they're made to blend in with the mists.     But what color(s) exactly are they? Some parts of the book mention black while others deem it gray. Are the colors mixed? If so, are they mixed in any particular fashion, or just randomly on a tassel by tassel basis?
        Is there any particular material the cloak is made out of? How wide and/or tall are each of the strips? Are all the tassels a uniform length/width? How many layers deep is a mistcloak? Should some of the tassels drag on the ground, rest on it, or they all float around?
        I know it's a somewhat odd group of questions, but any additional information you can provide me with will be of much help, and that information like this combined with a trip to the local fabric store and some tedious sewing will net me this year's coolest Halloween costume.

Thanks in advance,

Jonathan

Biggest quote ever.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2008, 01:21:24 AM »
Well done Czanos.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

kbob_o

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »

Icarus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2008, 09:21:42 PM »
I've been picturing it as being similar to the cloaks that the Fellowship wears in the LOTR movies, but black, and in shreds.

Has anyone heard anything further about the Washington DC stop on the Hero of Ages book tour?  His website has a date of 11/10/2008, but there is no location.

Thank you.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2008, 10:54:43 PM »
Mistborn Empire? Whoa. Where did that come from?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »
I know. I was pretty surprised too. It's kind of annoying actually, since it will draw the traffic away from here, where it should be. But hey.... what can you do?

It's also kind of cool though, that other people are setting up Brandon Sanderson Communities.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2008, 12:00:14 AM »
I know. I was pretty surprised too. It's kind of annoying actually, since it will draw the traffic away from here, where it should be. But hey.... what can you do?

It's also kind of cool though, that other people are setting up Brandon Sanderson Communities.

Perhaps UtopiaGreen will make his way over there.............
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2008, 12:17:37 AM »
One more website I'll have to start checking regularly. Sigh.

Fanbase fracturization is inevitable as Brandon's books become more popular. The different websites will either carve out their own niches or fade away. Still, I wonder what kept the members there from signing up here? It can't be lack of discussion, that's for sure. Or depth of theorizing.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

VegasDev

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2008, 12:24:11 AM »
Still, I wonder what kept the members there from signing up here? It can't be lack of discussion, that's for sure. Or depth of theorizing.

I saw that you had registered over there, perhaps you could invite them over. As far as why create their own. Possibly because then when they propose theories, they don't have 100 people tell them it has already been discussed, please view this thread on page 9 but don't resurrect it because we are kind of tired of talking about it.
Now you've got all the ones with beards on one side and all the
moustaches on the other.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2008, 12:29:53 AM »
Valid points Vegas, I joind like two and a half months ago and it took me a while to really start posting.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2008, 12:46:10 AM »
Yeah, that's the unfortunate side effect of all the theorizing.

Ookla, are there are Brandon fansites like Mistborn Empire that you've found, or is this the first one to rise up independently from TWG?

I must say, their website looks fantastic.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2008, 01:01:08 AM »
Agreed, they are still new but promissing. Most of them are WoT fans primarily coming from WoT forums. I'm not going to lie but I did join their site.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2008, 01:03:15 AM »
Agreed, they are still new but promissing. Most of them are WoT fans primarily coming from WoT forums. I'm not going to lie but I did join their site.

Hey, WoT has a large fanbase. It's great that fansites are popping up.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.