Favorite book in the trilogy.

Mistborn: The Final Empire
13 (38.2%)
Mistborn: Well of Ascension
4 (11.8%)
Mistborn: Hero of Ages
17 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: The Mistborn Trilogy. *Spoilers*  (Read 7748 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Mistborn Trilogy. *Spoilers*
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2008, 03:05:48 AM »
HoA was my favorite no doubt. but it didnt have my favorite scence from the trilogy. that forver will be kel fighting the inquisitor.

Hah! That an awesome scene, no denying that, but Mist-wielding Vin vs the inquistors is by far the best in the trilogy.

Followed by Atium-burning Elend in the last stand. Then kelsier vs the inquistor.
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2008, 05:34:43 AM »
Personally, my favorite scenes are:

1. Kelsier's death scene. It seems like everyone falls in love with Kelsier, at least a little bit, and then he's just gone. It's a huge, dramatic affair, but it doesn't lose the sense of anguish and emptiness that a real death evokes.

2. Vin burning the mists. (Either vs. Inquisitors or The Lord Ruler.) Both of these passages are positively reeking of power, and come to show that Vin isn't just good, she's downright special. Twelve Inquisitors, Kredik Shaw, even The Lord Ruler himself are just teardrops in the ocean once Vin gets her business gloves on.

3. Straff gets cut in half. That sucker had it coming to him, big time.

4. Zane and Vin compete to stay above ground. Sweet, sweet, Allomancy, the physical metals at their finest. A few examples of good imagery here are them splashing through the fountain and Zane's little ballet twirl at the end.

5. House Venture throws a ball, take one. The Keep's majestic, Elend's witty and disheveled, and political intrigue abounds. Much fun, all in all.

(Secret Bonus Scene: "Well look, that hill is red. The evil force of doom oppressing us sure has style.)
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2008, 05:20:43 AM »
Just coming back after more than a week gone, and trying to catch up. It's hard.

Anyway, After much thought on the subject, I have to say Final Empire, with an EXTREMELY close second for HOA. WOA isn't even close.

Final Empire - I loved the characters in this one. The story type being so different really interested me.

Well of Ascension - I actually don't know why I don't like it. It fits in with books that I do like quite nicely, but something about it just rubbed me the wrong way.

Hero of Ages - Awesome story, but I think that because there was so much worldbuilding and story to finish, it lost just a tad character-wise. That's in the end why FE ends up winning for me.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2008, 07:08:52 AM »
*Major spoilers*

K, just wanted to make sure in case people didn't take the thread name seriously...

So, I think my favorite might be FE -- but I'm not sure.  I'll have to read them again.  I loved it--with the crazy plan and the wonderfully romantic Elend/Vin scenes.  *sigh* 

WOA--I actually really liked.  For me, it had the most surprising revelations (I saw a lot of them coming in HOA, for which I felt proud of myself).  I for one LOVED Zane, and it surprises me that everyone hated him so much!  He added such intrigue to the story.  Of course I love Elend, but a large part of me was pulling for Zane.  Maybe that means something is wrong with me.  Luckily, I married an Elend kind of guy, so I'm ok ;)

HOA--This was fantastic and very fast paced, which I loved, but Vin and Elend die.  It's so anti-climactic for me.  They were supposed to rebuild the world and start a government and have a family (in my mind).  It's so depressing to see them die -- even if they are in a Heaven-like place.  The fact that we know their spirits live on made it MUCH better, but, still, this made the book/series much more depressing for me.  I need to get over it because I loved the series.  Any ideas on how to get over it? lol

Each book was great in its own way -- but HOA let me down at the end.  So, I'd have to say it's a close one between FE & WOA, with FE maybe barely edging it out...

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2008, 12:42:50 AM »
*Major spoilers*

K, just wanted to make sure in case people didn't take the thread name seriously...

So, I think my favorite might be FE -- but I'm not sure.  I'll have to read them again.  I loved it--with the crazy plan and the wonderfully romantic Elend/Vin scenes.  *sigh* 

WOA--I actually really liked.  For me, it had the most surprising revelations (I saw a lot of them coming in HOA, for which I felt proud of myself).  I for one LOVED Zane, and it surprises me that everyone hated him so much!  He added such intrigue to the story.  Of course I love Elend, but a large part of me was pulling for Zane.  Maybe that means something is wrong with me.  Luckily, I married an Elend kind of guy, so I'm ok ;)

HOA--This was fantastic and very fast paced, which I loved, but Vin and Elend die.  It's so anti-climactic for me.  They were supposed to rebuild the world and start a government and have a family (in my mind).  It's so depressing to see them die -- even if they are in a Heaven-like place.  The fact that we know their spirits live on made it MUCH better, but, still, this made the book/series much more depressing for me.  I need to get over it because I loved the series.  Any ideas on how to get over it? lol

Each book was great in its own way -- but HOA let me down at the end.  So, I'd have to say it's a close one between FE & WOA, with FE maybe barely edging it out...

I too loved Zane. He was by favorite minor character. He might have been my favorite--i just didn't feel like i'd read enough to say so.

Anyway. He's awesome. Chaos doesn't know what he's talking about.

Get over it?

hmm...

I don't think its possible, what you could do is reread it, or lend it out to someone to read it and after they have done so you could discuss it with them. You could begin writing a story...

Ohh, i know, ram your head on the wall hard. to the point where you can't remember your last name or anything beyond the pain you feel.

Than you can relive and re-experience the book in the same sense. (assuming you can still read)
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2008, 07:47:06 AM »
I for one LOVED Zane, and it surprises me that everyone hated him so much!

Actually, that is just me. No one else hates Zane with my kind of zeal.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 01:11:45 AM »
I liked Zane...

I voted for FE, but they were all really good in their own way. Kind of like different flavors of ice cream. Strawberry, then chocolate? Or chocolate, then strawberry? The world may never know.
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Elmandr

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2008, 08:14:27 AM »
I liked Zane...

I voted for FE, but they were all really good in their own way. Kind of like different flavors of ice cream. Strawberry, then chocolate? Or chocolate, then strawberry? The world may never know.

Definitly Vanilla.

Anyway.

Morally speaking, i think Zane was better then Kelsier. They both lived really tough lives. Had unfair childhoods. And endured tragedies.

Kelsier kept smiling, but was still venegful to a fault. He hated nobles, he killed them without a second thought.

And he didn't even have a spike running through him...

Or did he?

Assuming he didn't, i am too afraid to wonder how much of a threat he would have been to the nobles if he infact did have a spike.

That would be bad. Elend would be dead.

Zane on the other hand, still had morals, he still loved--or tried.

He wouldn't kill his father--who he knew was a crooked snake--for the simple reason that he was his father. People shouldn't kill their fathers...

Zane was probably a better person then all of us...

Poor, poor Zane.
"I love you."
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Krackitty

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2008, 08:23:31 AM »
I really liked Final Empire, I think because of the "newness", the originality of allomancy as magic, the imagery of the red-and-ash world. It was just a really fun read.

I loved WoA, because it reminds us that just because you get rid of the bad guy doesn't mean all the troubles are over. I love how even though it's fantasy, what happens in the book is so real. The head bad guy falls, everyone and their dog makes a play for all the power, the general population suffers and starts thinking that maybe it wasn't so bad before becasue it's worse now. Most countries are like that after a war or revolution. BS really knows his history when it comes to these things.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2008, 10:01:33 PM »
(Secret Bonus Scene: "Well look, that hill is red. The evil force of doom oppressing us sure has style.)

Haha! I LOVED that part! I busted up laughing and my roommates were looking at me all weird. So I read it to them. They got a kick out of it too. Breeze rocks my world. I was so glad his humor was back.

For me, that's why WoA isn't as good as the others. It's the whole development of the characters--which is really cool that they change, but they lost the humor that Kell emphasized so much. I also loved the fights scenes and the plot and everything about FE and HoA. But I did enjoy the political intrigue that made of WoA. Just not as much.

It's the sheer awesome-ness of the plot and the action, and the semi-reverting back to the old humor that makes HoA my favorite. Plus, I loved the development of Spook's character. He was always the odd one out before, because he was part of the crew, but he was always in the background. In this, he proved his worth to the crew, oddly enough with the help of Ruin.

And I loved his fight with the Thugs where he got stabbed. It astounded me what he could do JUST from Tin. The whole change of the wind, so he knew a sword was coming at him, and he could feel the vibrations in the ground, so he knew where the person was standing, and that someone was attacking him from behind. I was like "WOW!" It's probably one of my favorite scenes. After Kell's Inquistor fight and Elend's Atium burning/Vin's Godly help when he's fighting Marsh.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2008, 03:14:45 AM »
I liked Zane...

Definitly Vanilla.

Anyway.

Morally speaking, i think Zane was better then Kelsier. They both lived really tough lives. Had unfair childhoods. And endured tragedies.

Kelsier kept smiling, but was still venegful to a fault. He hated nobles, he killed them without a second thought.

And he didn't even have a spike running through him...

Or did he?

Assuming he didn't, i am too afraid to wonder how much of a threat he would have been to the nobles if he infact did have a spike.

That would be bad. Elend would be dead.

Zane on the other hand, still had morals, he still loved--or tried.

He wouldn't kill his father--who he knew was a crooked snake--for the simple reason that he was his father. People shouldn't kill their fathers...

Zane was probably a better person then all of us...

Poor, poor Zane.

Meh. Kelsier was at least dynamic and interesting. Zane had a voice telling him to kill people, and he hardly ever followed through. Instead, it turns into a bunch of angst.

Maybe on my readthrough of the Mistborn Trilogy I will think differently about him, but I doubt it.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

echigo109

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2008, 04:58:13 AM »
for me it was hard to deside because i liked them all so much but i guess, it was hero of ages because of the way political intrige turned to out right warfare sure FE and WOA had fighting but HOA there was hardly a chapter without some form of fighting